Jump to content
ChardikalaUK

UK Sikhs giving their children western names

Recommended Posts

These types of names chosen are by the brown/blond highlight haired and blue eye contact lense brigade. 

It's brown chavness. 

Bit of a strange phenomenon really. When racism was rife, people chose traditional names but now they choose names so that their kids peers can remember them. Weird!

A lot of times you see these kids, the names don't suit them.

I understand people don't like long names because they tend to get shortened. So they will try to pick shorter names. 

People will think they are getting "unique" names so that they think they are standing out but like sheep they follow the crowd. 

I understand people get fed up of all the -suffixed names with endings like:

-inder, -deep, -jit,  -bir,  -dev, -pal etc.

However,  I think there is going to come a period when calling your kid Baldeep is going to be a breath of fresh air. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

These types of names chosen are by the brown/blond highlight haired and blue eye contact lense brigade. 

It's brown chavness. 

Bit of a strange phenomenon really. When racism was rife, people chose traditional names but now they choose names so that their kids peers can remember them. Weird!

A lot of times you see these kids, the names don't suit them.

I understand people don't like long names because they tend to get shortened. So they will try to pick shorter names. 

People will think they are getting "unique" names so that they think they are standing out but like sheep they follow the crowd. 

I understand people get fed up of all the -suffixed names with endings like:

-inder, -deep, -jit,  -bir,  -dev, -pal etc.

However,  I think there is going to come a period when calling your kid Baldeep is going to be a breath of fresh air. 

100%. A lot of the names themselves sound pure chavvy as well - Jayden, Harvey, Tiana, Sienna. I don't feel like associating with such parents.

There are plenty of short desi names that are easy to pronounce, I've chosen such a name.

In fact I was worried that the name we chose might be too common but my wife has said his class will be full of Jaydens, Jordans, Camerons not Amars, Arjuns, Harmans!

So giving your kid a western name is going to be very far from being unique.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

These types of names chosen are by the brown/blond highlight haired and blue eye contact lense brigade. 

It's brown chavness. 

Bit of a strange phenomenon really. When racism was rife, people chose traditional names but now they choose names so that their kids peers can remember them. Weird!

A lot of times you see these kids, the names don't suit them.

I understand people don't like long names because they tend to get shortened. So they will try to pick shorter names. 

People will think they are getting "unique" names so that they think they are standing out but like sheep they follow the crowd. 

I understand people get fed up of all the -suffixed names with endings like:

-inder, -deep, -jit,  -bir,  -dev, -pal etc.

However,  I think there is going to come a period when calling your kid Baldeep is going to be a breath of fresh air. 

The panjabi names of the last century were very short. The deep preet suffixes is recent. 

Like veer singh. Bir singh. Sobha singh. Gulab kaur, sukha singh etc.

In america the trend is towards shorter, original names. The panjabis r going towards muslim sounding names like Waris. Heeya, Noor, tejnoor, 

While amritdharis are doing the olden names like jassa singh. Sukha singh mehtaab singh for twins. Ishar singh. Akaal kaur. Sujan singh etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats in a name? Think a lot of people are making a mountain out of mole hill, you could have a kid with a good old name who is not into Sikhi, then you could have a Paul who is into Sikhi. So what's in a name?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Whats in a name? Think a lot of people are making a mountain out of mole hill, you could have a kid with a good old name who is not into Sikhi, then you could have a Paul who is into Sikhi. So what's in a name?

Theres a sakhi about a sinner, think he was called Ajamaal. He was a kaami man and left his wife for a dancing girl. He had a son and named him Hari/Narain. As he got old his sins started catching up with him and he got really sick. In pain he used to call out for his son "Hari"  again and again. Repeating Hari, being another name for God washed his sins away and he went to heaven. 

Other than that, why would you want to forget the names of your ancestors and forefathers and give your kids White people names?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, puzzled said:

Theres a sakhi about a sinner, think he was called Ajamaal. He was a kaami man and left his wife for a dancing girl. He had a son and named him Hari/Narain. As he got old his sins started catching up with him and he got really sick. In pain he used to call out for his son "Hari"  again and again. Repeating Hari, being another name for God washed his sins away and he went to heaven. 

Other than that, why would you want to forget the names of your ancestors and forefathers and give your kids White people names?

I'm not saying forget them, all I'm saying a name isn't end all and be all, as I said a name is a label it does not change the soul within.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

The panjabi names of the last century were very short. The deep preet suffixes is recent. 

Like veer singh. Bir singh. Sobha singh. Gulab kaur, sukha singh etc.

In america the trend is towards shorter, original names. The panjabis r going towards muslim sounding names like Waris. Heeya, Noor, tejnoor, 

While amritdharis are doing the olden names like jassa singh. Sukha singh mehtaab singh for twins. Ishar singh. Akaal kaur. Sujan singh etc

Even with short names they get shortened further. 

Also, with traditional names (if they are 2 syllable ), whitey does not struggle with them as much as our people think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redoptics said:

Whats in a name? Think a lot of people are making a mountain out of mole hill, you could have a kid with a good old name who is not into Sikhi, then you could have a Paul who is into Sikhi. So what's in a name?

A name is important, it is a constant reminder of your background and culture. It's a big part of your identity. This is something even more important when you are a minority.

Why do you think Goreh Sikhs change their names when they convert?

There are plenty of short Indian names out there. At my school there was a girl called Kulwinderjit and the teachers could say it without much hassle. 

If people can say Tchaikovsky, they can say Kuljeet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

A name is important, it is a constant reminder of your background and culture. It's a big part of your identity. This is something even more important when you are a minority.

Why do you think Goreh Sikhs change their names when they convert?

There are plenty of short Indian names out there. At my school there was a girl called Kulwinderjit and the teachers could say it without much hassle. 

If people can say Tchaikovsky, they can say Kuljeet.

 

I don't need my name to remind of my culture the mirror does that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Out of curiosity do you have a western name?

No lol I was born in the early 80s , got an old school name :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

No lol I was born in the early 80s , got an old school name :)

I wonder if the Sikhs in Dubai and Malaysia should give their kids names like Muhammad, Ahmed, Rahim?

'Old school',  that sums up apna mentality. Names like Jordan are considered 'modrun' and regular Sikh names are considered old school (and out of fashion?)

I've never heard goreh say names like Mark, Michael, Anthony, John are 'old school', despite them being around for centuries.

The rot is really deep in our community.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use