Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Why Jainism, not Hinduism or Sikhism ?

They are mostly Buddhists or ex Buddhists who don't believe in God. Jainism is a very similar ideology but with belief in God.  Both believe in a simple life and are seen to be more non violent than Hindus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Suchi said:

They are mostly Buddhists or ex Buddhists who don't believe in God. Jainism is a very similar ideology but with belief in God.  Both believe in a simple life and are seen to be more non violent than Hindus. 

Jains believe in God ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rajasthani said:

Jains believe in God ? 

Yes. Their Guru is Mahavira. They are very strict vegetarians and didn't even have garlic and onions in the house until the grandmother passed away. 

Their temples are one of the most spectacular I've seen. Extremely intricate designs throughout. At one temple in Bhuj they played live music on the steps which could be heard far away and was wonderfully peaceful to hear. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Jains believe in a God, as in a creator God. But I think believe when you die your soul becomes like a particle in the air, and they worship these soul/particles, I think they believe these souls can help you achieve mukti. 

Buddhists don't believe in a creator God or souls. But they believe in devi/devte, like us they also believe that these devi/devte are in the cycle of reincarnation. 

Until after the war and when all the fast food chains started opening in Japan, Japanese were mainly vegetarians. So perhaps that's why they can easily connect to Jainism as Jains are strict vegetarians. I think veganism is growing in Japan.

I think another reason is that Japanese folk religion is heavily influenced by nature, and Jains believe in respecting nature, this could be another reason why they are choosing Jainsim? 

Japanese temples are in forests, mountains, natural spots. A lot of their temples have artificial waterfalls etc, very influenced by nature. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, puzzled said:

I don't think Jains believe in a God, as in a creator God. But I think believe when you die your soul becomes like a particle in the air, and they worship these soul/particles, I think they believe these souls can help you achieve mukti. 

Buddhists don't believe in a creator God or souls. But they believe in devi/devte, like us they also believe that these devi/devte are in the cycle of reincarnation. 

Until after the war and when all the fast food chains started opening in Japan, Japanese were mainly vegetarians. So perhaps that's why they can easily connect to Jainism as Jains are strict vegetarians. I think veganism is growing in Japan.

I think another reason is that Japanese folk religion is heavily influenced by nature, and Jains believe in respecting nature, this could be another reason why they are choosing Jainsim? 

Japanese temples are in forests, mountains, natural spots. A lot of their temples have artificial waterfalls etc, very influenced by nature. 

 

It's a belief in a 'Power' that is beyond our immediate senses and submission to that 'Power'

That is another way of saying they believe in God. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, puzzled said:

 

Until after the war and when all the fast food chains started opening in Japan, Japanese were mainly vegetarians. So perhaps that's why they can easily connect to Jainism as Jains are strict vegetarians. I think veganism is growing in Japan.

 

 

Vegetarian or pescetarian ?

Japanese food is associated with sushi

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Vegetarian or pescetarian ?

Japanese food is associated with sushi

Yes pescetarians. 

I think in some cultures fish isn't considered meat. 

Samurai warriors didn't eat meat either.

The ancient Chinese were vegetarians aswell.

The gladiators mainly had plant based diet.

Even in Islam according to the hadiths Muhammad only ate meat a few times a year and mainly had a vegetarian diet.

This worldwide obsession and addiction to meat is quite recent and mainly because of Western countries.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, puzzled said:

Yes pescetarians. 

I think in some cultures fish isn't considered meat. 

Samurai warriors didn't eat meat either.

The ancient Chinese were vegetarians aswell.

The gladiators mainly had plant based diet.

Even in Islam according to the hadiths Muhammad only ate meat a few times a year and mainly had a vegetarian diet.

This worldwide obsession and addiction to meat is quite recent and mainly because of Western countries.

 

How do you know this ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, intrigued said:

Humans are more vegetarian than carnivorous as we have teeth suited for vegetables

We're only designed to eat meat in emergencies as far as I can tell. Carnivory is apocalypse mode. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Not just North Punjabi/Mirpuri Pakistani types in the UK, presumably the below article refers mainly to white males   Samaritans volunteers met vulnerable callers for sex https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58057031 By Jennifer Meierhans BBC News Published 50 minutes ago Share IMAGE SOURCEGETTY IMAGES Samaritans says it has introduced new safeguarding measures after volunteers met vulnerable callers for sex. The charity, which offers a helpline to people in distress, will reportedly monitor calls in future to prevent inappropriate relationships. The Telegraph found incidents of middle-aged men using their position to meet up with female callers for sex. The charity told the BBC it did not dispute that a "very small number of safeguarding incidents" had occurred. Samaritans chief executive Julie Bentley said the "extremely rare" incidents had been identified and that swift and appropriate action had been taken. According to the Telegraph, a memo to volunteers said 44 serious incidents had occurred since 2017. Ms Bentley said Samaritans' 20,000 volunteers provided vital emotional support to anyone who is struggling, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Volunteers on the charity's telephone service have answered more than 13 million calls in the four years from January 2017, she said. 'Robust investigation' "Running any national service on this scale means that, on extremely rare occasions, high standards are not always met and from the millions of calls answered, a very small number of safeguarding incidents were identified," said Ms Bentley. "Our robust investigation procedures meant these incidents were handled swiftly and appropriate action taken. "Any safeguarding matter is one too many and as such we review our practices on an ongoing basis and have introduced further measures as part of our commitment to delivering a consistently high-quality experience for our callers." Incidents are investigated by the charity's Serious Safeguarding Panel and are reported to the Charity Commission, Samaritans said.
    • I think this type of attitude helps keep Panjab economically backwards.  
    • This history seems true. It's not a new discovery, and this Zorowar Singh palit has a history and legacy in Bassi Pathaan that people there still acknowledge.  Info has been out about Zorowar Singh Palit since the late 60s at least, when Ganda Singh put out Sri Gursobha. That people here haven't heard of him here says more about their own piss poor study of history than anything else.  Plus this figure being from a tarkhan background would have motivated the usual jut casteists to jealously try and bury his memory, so that probably played a big part in his occlusion and hence so much ignorance about him. I'm not too familiar with Uhdoke, what makes you say the above about him?    
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use