18 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Why Jainism, not Hinduism or Sikhism ?

They are mostly Buddhists or ex Buddhists who don't believe in God. Jainism is a very similar ideology but with belief in God.  Both believe in a simple life and are seen to be more non violent than Hindus. 

21 hours ago, Suchi said:

They are mostly Buddhists or ex Buddhists who don't believe in God. Jainism is a very similar ideology but with belief in God.  Both believe in a simple life and are seen to be more non violent than Hindus. 

Jains believe in God ? 

2 hours ago, Rajasthani said:

Jains believe in God ? 

Yes. Their Guru is Mahavira. They are very strict vegetarians and didn't even have garlic and onions in the house until the grandmother passed away. 

Their temples are one of the most spectacular I've seen. Extremely intricate designs throughout. At one temple in Bhuj they played live music on the steps which could be heard far away and was wonderfully peaceful to hear. 

I don't think Jains believe in a God, as in a creator God. But I think believe when you die your soul becomes like a particle in the air, and they worship these soul/particles, I think they believe these souls can help you achieve mukti. 

Buddhists don't believe in a creator God or souls. But they believe in devi/devte, like us they also believe that these devi/devte are in the cycle of reincarnation. 

Until after the war and when all the fast food chains started opening in Japan, Japanese were mainly vegetarians. So perhaps that's why they can easily connect to Jainism as Jains are strict vegetarians. I think veganism is growing in Japan.

I think another reason is that Japanese folk religion is heavily influenced by nature, and Jains believe in respecting nature, this could be another reason why they are choosing Jainsim? 

Japanese temples are in forests, mountains, natural spots. A lot of their temples have artificial waterfalls etc, very influenced by nature. 

• Like 1
On 5/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, puzzled said:

I don't think Jains believe in a God, as in a creator God. But I think believe when you die your soul becomes like a particle in the air, and they worship these soul/particles, I think they believe these souls can help you achieve mukti. 

Buddhists don't believe in a creator God or souls. But they believe in devi/devte, like us they also believe that these devi/devte are in the cycle of reincarnation. 

Until after the war and when all the fast food chains started opening in Japan, Japanese were mainly vegetarians. So perhaps that's why they can easily connect to Jainism as Jains are strict vegetarians. I think veganism is growing in Japan.

I think another reason is that Japanese folk religion is heavily influenced by nature, and Jains believe in respecting nature, this could be another reason why they are choosing Jainsim? 

Japanese temples are in forests, mountains, natural spots. A lot of their temples have artificial waterfalls etc, very influenced by nature. 

It's a belief in a 'Power' that is beyond our immediate senses and submission to that 'Power'

That is another way of saying they believe in God. 

On 5/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, puzzled said:

Vegetarian or pescetarian ?

Japanese food is associated with sushi

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Vegetarian or pescetarian ?

Japanese food is associated with sushi

Yes pescetarians. 

I think in some cultures fish isn't considered meat. 

Samurai warriors didn't eat meat either.

The ancient Chinese were vegetarians aswell.

The gladiators mainly had plant based diet.

Even in Islam according to the hadiths Muhammad only ate meat a few times a year and mainly had a vegetarian diet.

This worldwide obsession and addiction to meat is quite recent and mainly because of Western countries.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, puzzled said:

Yes pescetarians. 

I think in some cultures fish isn't considered meat. 

Samurai warriors didn't eat meat either.

The ancient Chinese were vegetarians aswell.

The gladiators mainly had plant based diet.

Even in Islam according to the hadiths Muhammad only ate meat a few times a year and mainly had a vegetarian diet.

This worldwide obsession and addiction to meat is quite recent and mainly because of Western countries.

How do you know this ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, intrigued said:

Humans are more vegetarian than carnivorous as we have teeth suited for vegetables

We're only designed to eat meat in emergencies as far as I can tell. Carnivory is apocalypse mode.