Don't know how long 'taking the knee' will continue for. Maybe best to keep the politics out of sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57412200

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham has said the booing of England's players for taking a knee is "incredibly disappointing".

And he confirmed the governing body is considering releasing a video message in an attempt to tackle the crisis before the team's opening Euro 2020 match.

The team were booed before two games last week as they made the gesture to highlight racial injustice.

In his first public comments on the controversy, Bullingham told BBC Sport: "We've been clear throughout, this is not a political gesture that the team is making.

"They are standing up for equality and they are using a gesture that's been around for hundreds of years and using it just to make a stance against racism.

"We're not asking every fan to copy that gesture. We're just asking them to respect it, and we do expect that they should respect it. They should get behind their team, cheer them on, and let's have a brilliant Euros with the country getting behind the team."

With mounting concerns England's opener against Croatia on Sunday at Wembley could be overshadowed by a repeat of the booing, Bullingham confirmed the FA was "looking at what we can do on matchday, including videos in the stadium".

He said: "Our general approach with anti-discrimination action is always focused on education, and we need to clarify, so every fan is 100% clear, this is not a political gesture. This is about equality, and we believe once they understand that they will get behind the team and cheer them on."

When asked how the FA felt about the Prime Minister Boris Johnson refusing to condemn fans who booed players taking a knee this week, Bullingham said: "We're really clear on our position.

"We are 100% behind the players, and we believe that once fans really understand it's not a political gesture there is absolutely no reason for them to boo. They should respect the players and get behind their team in the Euros.

"It's definitely not a positive for the players, but we want to move on, get the team fully supported by the fans, get everyone behind them."

Meanwhile, Uefa's tournament director Martin Kallen has also given his support to England's players.

"I hope they will not be booed by the people," he told BBC Sport.

"I think [England] want to make a signal, and we leave it up to the teams to do so."

"Of course we are always for fair play… and from our side, it's important that people are respecting other people's minds."

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing as sport has such a large audience, it's probably the perfect platform to make political statements. Like Jesse Owens winning the Olympics in front of Hitler and the world.  I know footbal

They are all in it together. That's how they make it a culture, hence 'systemic'. The football fan types just articulate what the more clever, devious types up top believe and promote on the sly. The

40 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

There are other ways to show support for the message, no one should feel compelled/forced to do what others are doing 

Amen bro. And visa versa. They wanna take a knee they shouldn't lose their multi million dollar contract. 

Let people protest based on the truth if they want. They don't want to? Fine. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

There are other ways to show support for the message, no one should feel compelled/forced to do what others are doing 

Seeing as this has so many people's panties in a bunch, I'd say that this is probably one of the best ways to protest. 

And I know in england at least, anyone who tries to highlight racism in society, gets targeted in various ways. So I take my hats off for those who have the balls to protest, but I also understand that a lot of people are too scared, or self-centred to make any protest, despite feeling that racism is pervasive throughout society.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

And I know in england at least, anyone who tries to highlight racism in society, gets targeted in various ways.   

Being 'woke' and 'virtue-signalling' and in support of causes like BLM etc seems to be very popular actually from my observation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/08/oxford-students-vote-to-remove-queen-photo-as-she-is-colonial-symbol-14739698/

Seems those who have spoken against paedo gangs have been targeted more 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/08/labour-mp-sarah-champion-resigns-over-grooming-gang-piece-sun

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Being 'woke' and 'virtue-signalling' and in support of causes like BLM etc seems to be very popular actually from my observation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/08/oxford-students-vote-to-remove-queen-photo-as-she-is-colonial-symbol-14739698/

At risk of potential offence, I think you are dimwittedly becoming a crux for the very people who'd like the whole matter of discussing and combating racism and long standing, deep-rooted inequalities within their society, to disappear. 

Being averse to police brutality and racism doesn't make one 'woke' or 'virtue-signaling' but by adopting and using this language you personally give credence and support to the people who are trying to sweep this issue (that is very difficult to bring out) under the rug.

Seems a bit docile to be honest.    

Seems those who have spoken against paedo gangs have been targeted more 

The english establishment is covering up for paedos, and has been a long time. From the top to the bottom of their society. Some brave Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of highlighting this for decades.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, dallysingh101 said:

At risk of potential offence, I think you are dimwittedly becoming a crux for the very people who'd like the whole matter of discussing and combating racism and long standing, deep-rooted inequalities within their society, to disappear. 

Being averse to police brutality and racism doesn't make one 'woke' or 'virtue-signaling' but by adopting and using this language you personally give credence and support to the people who are trying to sweep this issue (that is very difficult to bring out) under the rug.

Seems a bit docile to be honest.    

The english establishment is covering up for paedos, and has been a long time. From the top to the bottom of their society. Some brave Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of highlighting this for decades.  

Okay, but it seems you accept BLM or whoever forcing people to 'take the knee' rather than following their own actions? I thought you would be more independent-minded?

Maybe I am using the language others are using like 'woke' etc but I do think a lot of 'celebs' and people in society whether consciously or not want to be 'liked'/seen as 'good' so will just do whatever they think society wants them to rather than really believing in it.

Also, a lot of those who are supporting 'BLM' etc have made their fortunes from endorsements from big multinational  companies or sporting competitive/entertainment industries some of which will have had some racist/discriminatory policies. But rather than shunning the endorsements, they want to have their cake and eat it.

https://talksport.com/football/762836/les-ferdinand-qpr-take-knee-message-lost-hashtag/

taking a knee resembles a ‘fancy hashtag’ and declares ‘message has been lost’ as he passionately defends QPR stance

By Oliver Dawnay
21st September 2020, 4:09 pm

Updated: 21st September 2020, 4:11 pm

Les Ferdinand has issued a strong and passionate defence of QPR’s decision not to take the knee.

The Championship club have drawn criticism in some quarters after their players opted against kneeling before kick-off in their opening two games of the Championship season.

QPR and Coventry did not take the knee last weekend with the match kicking off as normal

SKY SPORTS
QPR and Coventry did not take the knee last weekend with the match kicking off as normal
The move was adopted as a show of support for the Black Lives Matter campaign in June and has been carried out by the majority of clubs throughout English football since then.

But Ferdinand insists the gesture’s ‘message has been lost’ and is akin to a ‘fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge’.

And he has demanded that real action be taken by footballing authorities in the fight against racism to bring about change.

“Taking the knee was very powerful, but we feel that impact has now been diluted,” he said, in a statement posted on QPR’s website.

“In the same way ‘Clap For Carers’ was very emotional for us all, it got to a stage where it had run its natural course and the decision was rightly made to stop it.

“Does that mean we, as a nation, don’t care or appreciate our NHS workers? Of course it doesn’t.

“No one is more passionate than me about this topic. I have spoken on the matter throughout my footballing life.

“I work for one of the most diverse football clubs in this country. A lot of people are being fooled out there.”

Ferdinand has launched a staunch defence of QPR’s decision not to take the knee

GETTY IMAGES
Ferdinand has launched a staunch defence of QPR’s decision not to take the knee

Former England forward Ferdinand also had spells at Newcastle, Tottenham, West Ham and Leicester before moving into coaching and then football administration with the Hoops.

Ferdinand maintains more must be done in the fight against racism and inequality than simply offer “a nice soundbite when something happens”.

He highlighted the lack of resolution to a complaint made by QPR following the abandonment of a friendly between the club’s under-18s team and Spanish side AD Nervion in August 2019.

“The taking of the knee has reached a point of ‘good PR’, but little more than that,” Ferdinand said. “The message has been lost. It is now not dissimilar to a fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge.

“What are our plans with this? Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next 10 years, but see no actual progress made?

“Taking the knee will not bring about change in the game – actions will.”Kick It Out, football’s equality and inclusion organisation, issued a statement in support of Ferdinand and QPR in focusing on driving change.

“We know that racial injustice and other forms of discrimination did not end when the last football season ended,” Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari said.

“We encourage the players to continue to protest in whatever form they feel comfortable and to do so free of the risk of sanction, whether that protest is taking a knee, wearing a badge or any other form.

“I know that (chief executive) Lee Hoos and Les Ferdinand at QPR are deeply committed to equality.

“I know how rightfully enraged they were by the treatment of their youth team players last summer and the pitiful response of UEFA and the Spanish FA.

“I agree with them that we need to focus on action that creates real change. We should be talking about solutions, not symbols.”

14 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Okay, but it seems you accept BLM or whoever forcing people to 'take the knee' rather than following their own actions? I thought you would be more independent-minded?

No I don't. Making a big deal out of it is ridiculous. That game with Croatia made me laugh. Some english twats boo'ing the knee, only to have a black guy score the only goal of the match. Says it all. What a bunch of losers. And why the f**k are you talking like one of them has their hands in you, and is operating your mouth like a puppet to sing their song? Why don't you have some independent thought yourself.

Maybe I am using the language others are using like 'woke' etc but I do think a lot of 'celebs' and people in society whether consciously or not want to be 'liked'/seen as 'good' so will just do whatever they think society wants them to rather than really believing in it.

I think this is a norm throughout society, not just celebs. Plus that doesn't excuse you using white racist dog whistle language. 

Also, a lot of those who are supporting 'BLM' etc have made their fortunes from endorsements from big multinational  companies or sporting competitive/entertainment industries some of which will have had some racist/discriminatory policies. But rather than shunning the endorsements, they want to have their cake and eat it.

There are also lots of people who have been fighting deeply rooted racism involved too . As for those celebs you talk about above, they'll serve their purpose by keeping the topic alive. And we can hope that some of them will re-distribute at least some of the money downwards. BLM is not the be all and end all of the fight against white supremacy, it's just one contemporary aspect of it, that keeps the topic out there. Like I've said before, certain white racists and their sellout pets have devised really cleaver and subtle ways to make the topic of racism invisible, so this stuff is very important. And the way someone simply just taking a knee upsets so many people says it all...... 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

There are also lots of people who have been fighting deeply rooted racism involved too . As for those celebs you talk about above, they'll serve their purpose by keeping the topic alive. And we can hope that some of them will re-distribute at least some of the money downwards. BLM is not the be all and end all of the fight against white supremacy, it's just one contemporary aspect of it, that keeps the topic out there. Like I've said before, certain white racists and their sellout pets have devised really cleaver and subtle ways to make the topic of racism invisible, so this stuff is very important. And the way someone simply just taking a knee upsets so many people says it all...... 

I think the fans booing are mostly ordinary people (not rich business types) who just want to enjoy their hobbies rather than having politics forced upon them. 

Instead of 'taking a knee' it would send stronger message if these 'celebs' boycotted their own industries/striked 

- How do you mean please give an example ?

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

I think the fans booing are mostly ordinary people (not rich business types) who just want to enjoy their hobbies rather than having politics forced upon them. 

Instead of 'taking a knee' it would send stronger message if these 'celebs' boycotted their own industries/striked 

- How do you mean please give an example ?

I think you are naive to astounding lengths. The demographic you talk about are commonly racist. It's that normalised racist working class culture. And remember, football has had a very long history of being a hotbed of white supremacist groups, as well as a recruiting ground. So your notion of people simply wanting to innocently enjoy the game is well off. Loads of cocaine gets taken by these people on match days too, it's that type of culture.

Football is THE right place to highlight racism, because most of the w**kers who are of this bent, follow it. All you're doing is helping the people who like to hide racism - continue to do so (like a proper numpty). You need to rub it in their faces. 

And stop fixating on 'celebs' like that, they are only a small part of the picture. All they're doing is letting the wider world know that we acknowledge racism, and in our own little way we'll play a part to help combat the way it tries to hide itself in plain sight. And it would be stupid for some ethnic celeb from a poor background, to have worked themselves up, and then shoot themselves in the foot. I hope some of them spread some of their wealth, at least throughout their families, to help them get stable and build intergenerational wealth. 

Seriously, you sound like some dumbo english man's pet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think you are naive to astounding lengths. The demographic you talk about are commonly racist. It's that normalised racist working class culture. And remember, football has had a very long history of being a hotbed of white supremacist groups, as well as a recruiting ground. So your notion of people simply wanting to innocently enjoy the game is well off. Loads of cocaine gets taken by these people on match days too, it's that type of culture.

Football is THE right place to highlight racism, because most of the w**kers who are of this bent, follow it. All you're doing is helping the people who like to hide racism - continue to do so (like a proper numpty). You need to rub it in their faces. 

And stop fixating on 'celebs' like that, they are only a small part of the picture. All they're doing is letting the wider world know that we acknowledge racism, and in our own little way we'll play a part to help combat the way it tries to hide itself in plain sight. And it would be stupid for some ethnic celeb from a poor background, to have worked themselves up, and then shoot themselves in the foot. I hope some of them spread some of their wealth, at least throughout their families, to help them get stable and build intergenerational wealth. 

Seriously, you sound like some dumbo english man's pet. 

As someone who doesn't like football, I think you are being unfair/disingenuous. 'Commonly racist' is not true. Maybe a small minority. 

You should know that the ones who like to hide racism and allow institutional/covert racism to exist are the government/establishment types who are not usually involved in or big fans of football. These people should really know better with their higher levels of achievement/education. The football fan types are not the ones likely to be subtle enough to hide racism if they are racist. 

I am not particularly fixating on 'celebs', just using them as an example because they are well known individuals compared to Joe Bloggs. A lot of them don't really have many principles, their loyalty is to their wallet/purse so they will do whatever they think they can whilst not allowing their career to suffer. 

I am not someone's "pet" just because I have my own independent thoughts which differ from yours.

Do you think these people 'taking the knee' would return the gesture in favour of brown people ?