Tharkhan pub owner

Premi5

On 8/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, Premi5 said:

One for @dallysingh101

A Flora and Panesar prominent in this article

On more serious note, these are an embarrassment bringing up their Sikh background into the article and giving the wrong impression to non Sikhs that they mix with. 

“Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/the-eldon-pub-in-leeds-appoints-23-year-old-landlord-committed-to-making-it-a-diverse-and-safe-space-3337533

The Eldon pub in Leeds appoints 23-year-old landlord committed to making it a diverse and safe space

At 23, Arjun Flora is the same age as some of the students who frequent his pub.

Saturday, 7th August 2021, 3:02 pm

For Mr Flora is the new landlord of The Eldon, which is opposite Leeds University on Woodhouse Lane.

The Sikh, who is from Leeds, has been working in the hospitality industry for the past two years.

“It all started at a pub quiz with my partner,” he explained, “I got to know the people working there quite well and then the workers in pubs nearby.”

Building on his knowledge and relationships with other bar workers, he was later recommended for the role by the previous Eldon landlord. “I did a week’s worth of shifts and ended up loving it,” he said.

Students are also hopeful for what it could do for the community.

Regular, Lottie Chambers, 21, student at Mills School of Performance, said: “I feel like the combination of his age and faith could provide a really cool atmosphere.”

She said that having an Indian landlord could provide a safe space for students from many different backgrounds.

Mr Flora said he is aware the role will come with challenges, but he wants to use his presence to encourage diversity.

“I want to flip the script on what it means to be a landlord,” he said.

“I know I don’t exactly fit the vibe of your average pub, but times are changing.”

He aims for the Eldon to be a zero-tolerance space for hate and wants it to be a safe space for all.

Mr Flora added: “I want you to feel like you can be yourself, no matter what that is, regardless of sexual identity, gender identity, race, anything.

“I know my age may put people off, but I’ve got experience and I wouldn’t be recommended by someone who has over 10 years’ experience if I wasn’t capable.”

Customer Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

He believes this representation will encourage others to further diversify their businesses and form a safe space for individuals.

Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson

“A zero tolerance space for me means that I know I have somewhere I can go to without the fear of being judged,” he said.

A few points here:

This fellow has not mentioned his religious group or his caste, just of his Indian ethnicity.

Up and down the country, pubs have been closing at a very fast rate. This is due to alcohol being cheaper to purchase from a supermarket than a pub.

This has forced many pubs to not just service alcohol but food too, they have now become restaurants.

What has happened is that Punjabis have  being buying up pubs (in fact they have prevented a lot of pub closures) and serving Indian food as well serving alcohol.

Other than this article is a puff piece talking about "diversity and safe spaces"

Flora is just being a opportunist knowing that Leeds has a large student population and students like a drink so that he can make a lot of money. He probably has a few student properties that he rents out too.

2 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

A few points here:

This fellow has not mentioned his religious group or his caste, just of his Indian ethnicity.

Up and down the country, pubs have been closing at a very fast rate. This is due to alcohol being cheaper to purchase from a supermarket than a pub.

This has forced many pubs to not just service alcohol but food too, they have now become restaurants.

What has happened is that Punjabis have  being buying up pubs (in fact they have prevented a lot of pub closures) and serving Indian food as well serving alcohol.

Other than this article is a puff piece talking about "diversity and safe spaces"

Flora is just being a opportunist knowing that Leeds has a large student population and students like a drink so that he can make a lot of money. He probably has a few student properties that he rents out too.

Plus I don't know what it is like where you people live in the UK, but in my ends, a good few apnay have owned pubs. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but that it's been a thing for decades.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised at this? Surely it must be the same in the midlands and up north???

That being said, I have noticed the monopoly of Off Licenses apnay had a few decades ago is no more, and most people seem to have grown old and sold their offys as their kids don't want to run them anymore. 

I think people do this type of business because it is easy money (and lucrative too)  and isn't physically intensive like other work apnay commonly did in the UK?  

50 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That being said, I have noticed the monopoly of Off Licenses apnay had a few decades ago is no more, and most people seem to have grown old and sold their offys as their kids don't want to run them anymore. 

I think people do this type of business because it is easy money (and lucrative too)  and isn't physically intensive like other work apnay commonly did in the UK?  

Probably because of opening of many more supermarket and their mini versions like Sainsbury locals, Co-ops mean they have much more competition/fewer customers

I don't think these stores are very lucrative anymore, and a lot seem to be run by newer Sri Lankan immigrants who probably have fewer options as these Punjabis once did a generation or two ago

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Probably because of opening of many more supermarket and their mini versions like Sainsbury locals, Co-ops mean they have much more competition/fewer customers

I don't think these stores are very lucrative anymore, and a lot seem to be run by newer Sri Lankan immigrants who probably have fewer options as these Punjabis once did a generation or two ago

Ironically a lot of Afghan Sikhs run off licences these days

6 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Yeah, and our lot were also big into the smuggling game from the continent back then (to avoid heavy duties). So they got some of their booze dirt cheap, and made above average profit. 

I still think an offy in a right location makes a shyte load of profit though. People don't just buy booze from there. They buy all the snacks and sundries afterhours.