Taliban is in the news everywhere

On 8/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, dallysingh101 said:

It's funny you say that! My childhood friends who were juts from africa with starched paghs and everything used to call me that! lol

Not sure how educated those Sikhs in Africa were

They didn't even teach the locals

But then, when I was in Uni over 10 years ago, there was a Chinese Malaysian student who didn't know about Sikhs either

On 9/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Rajasthani said:

most of afghan Population support Taliban Regime so it was Expected  

Those afghan Muslim who are fleeing are mostly hazaras Or those who want citizenship In USA ( most dont fear taliban They just want to live in west country)

Is that true ?

I have heard of Punjabis who came in the 1990's claiming asylum due to the events of 1980's -1990's in Punjab but were just economic migrants also.

I don't know much about the Taliban and how they fit into Afghanistan, other than they are from Afghanistan and practise Islam

And not much about Afghanistan as a whole

From wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban

The Taliban are a movement of religious students (talib) from the Pashtun areas of eastern and southern Afghanistan who were educated in traditional Islamic schools in Pakistan.[71] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Afghanistan#Smaller_groups

Ethnic composition

The population of Afghanistan was estimated in 2017 at 29.2 million.[37] Of this, 15 million are males and 14.2 million females. About 22% of them are urbanite and the remaining 78% live in rural areas.[38] An additional 3 million or so Afghans are temporarily housed in neighboring Pakistan and Iran, most of whom were born and raised in those two countries. This makes the total Afghan population at around 33,332,025, and its current growth rate is 2.34%.[39]

The Afghan government announced it will begin issuing e-ID cards (e-Tazkiras) in which the ethnicity of each citizen is to be provided in the application. This process is expected to reveal the exact figures about the size and composition of the country's ethnic groups.[40]

An approximate distribution of the ethnic groups is shown in the chart below:

Ethnic groups in Afghanistan
Ethnic group World Factbook / Library of Congress Country Studies (recent estimate)[41][42] World Factbook / Library of Congress Country Studies (pre-2004 estimates)[6][43][44]
Pashtun 42% 38-50%
Tajik 27% 25-26.3% (of this 1% is Qizilbash)
Hazara 9% 12-19%
Uzbek 9% 6-8%
Aimak 4% 500,000 to 800,000 individuals
Turkmen 3% 2.5%
Baloch 2% 100,000 individuals
Others (Pashai, Nuristani, Arab, Brahui, Pamiri, Gujjar, etc.) 4% 6.9%

Smaller groups

Smaller groups include the Pashai, Pamiri, Kyrgyz, Arabs, Gujjar, Moghol, Ormur, Wakhi, Dards, Sikhs, Hindus, and others.

Anyone have a good understanding of how the different ethnic groups get on and the social workings in Afghanistan in general ? 

Afghan soldiers trained by UK and US forces 'have defected and are now fighting for the Taliban'

• British army officers have analysed images of Taliban fighters using weapons
  • The sources believe some of the fighters are using techniques they learned from UK and US forces 
  • It comes after the Taliban claimed victory in the Panjshir valley, the last province holding out against it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9967933/Afghan-soldiers-trained-UK-forces-defected-fighting-Taliban-sources.html

May I just add one thing, about why we failed in 20 years?

Because we all helped Afghanistan — the NATO countries, including Canada.... But as far as security and peace, we fought against the smoke, which was in Afghanistan — Taliban and al-Qaeda, Daesh [ISIS] — not against the fire, which was in Pakistan.

So whenever you want to do something for Afghanistan, read the history and geography both, and then go on, talk with all those neighbours around, and do not allow them to have a proxy war. I hope we will not have it again, ma'am. 

Excerped from this article about Cmdr. Ahmad Shah Massoud, who was killed by militants posing as reporters. His friend Masood Khalili was there, and the above quote is by him. Massoud was an Afghani who fought the russians who was trying to warn the world about the taliban and their backers, before he was murdered september the 9th, two days before 9/11. 

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.6171560/he-tried-to-warn-the-world-about-al-qaeda-then-he-was-assassinated-2-days-before-9-11-1.6171563

Wonder when the civil war starts, Taliban vs IsIs,  well played America whats the point on sacrificing your own troops, just get them to kill each other. Found it strange them just up and leaving after 20 years, shady dealings,  plus they can already say well we left all this equipment over there,  while they are funding one of them. Feel so sorry for the people.

2 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Wonder when the civil war starts, Taliban vs IsIs,  well played America whats the point on sacrificing your own troops, just get them to kill each other. Found it strange them just up and leaving after 20 years, shady dealings,  plus they can already say well we left all this equipment over there,  while they are funding one of them. Feel so sorry for the people.

This is one theory:

I'm not sure how 'sorry' to feel for the people there. Were they not Buddhists a lot of  them at one time ?

Is it just Taliban that treated non-Muslims there badly and forced then to leave ?

4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

This is one theory:

I'm not sure how 'sorry' to feel for the people there. Were they not Buddhists a lot of  them at one time ?

Is it just Taliban that treated non-Muslims there badly and forced then to leave ?

In these situations I try and think and  behave how our Gurus would have (not saying im good at it, as the five thieves are always stalking and picking my mind), atrocities against them and they still built a mosque etc.