Any experienced cat owners here?

dallysingh101

2 minutes ago, Jassu said:

I have a lot of cats (3). I prefer them over dogs tbh. If you're in the UK it's best to get a cat. Low maintenance but still cute and fun. Having dogs is tiresome and I can't stand loud noises like barking. The worst a cat will do is meow. I don't know why some traditional desi families are so averse to animals, it's weird. Sometimes I've seen Punjabi families get dogs but they get those big guard dogs (German Shepherd, Pitbull, etc) and keep them outside all the time fenced up! It's sad and pointless imo.

I remember when I would cry and one of my cats would always comes up to my face to touch the tip of my nose with her nose and sniff me, haha. ?

Cats are not known for being as loyal as dogs. 

I think a lot of 'desis' would only get dogs like the ones you mentioned as a 'status symbol' if not for security. 

I think some desis see animals as 'dirty', which I can understand if for example you have a cat or dog that goes outdoors, you don't know where they have been where their feet have been, and if you do not wear shoes in the house, then I can see that.  

7 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Cats are not known for being as loyal as dogs. 

I think a lot of 'desis' would only get dogs like the ones you mentioned as a 'status symbol' if not for security. 

I think some desis see animals as 'dirty', which I can understand if for example you have a cat or dog that goes outdoors, you don't know where they have been where their feet have been, and if you do not wear shoes in the house, then I can see that.  

Yes, dogs are incredibly loyal!  It's been said that cats tend to view humans as 'equals' (albeit weird, big, and mentally-undeveloped equals lol) but a dog views their human as a 'superior' or 'pack leader'. I feel that cats are smarter than dogs though! They are more wary. 

Maybe I'm just a sensitive softie but I can't imagine keeping a dog locked up outside just to show off, that's weird. It's better to not get a dog at all if you're not going to show affection/give the required time to take care of him/her properly.

Just now, Jassu said:

Yes, dogs are incredibly loyal!  It's been said that cats tend to view humans as 'equals' (albeit weird, big, and mentally-undeveloped equals lol) but a dog views their human as a 'superior' or 'pack leader'. I feel that cats are smarter than dogs though! They are more wary. 

Maybe I'm just a sensitive softie but I can't imagine keeping a dog locked up outside just to show off, that's weird. It's better to not just get a dog at all if you're not going to show affection/give the required time or take care of him/her properly.

When I went Panjab 2014, one of the neighbours had a young St Bernard who was kept mostly locked in a small cage. I tried to make friends with it, but it was not friendly at all!

I don't know how much exercise or walks it got, but I left concerned for its welfare. 

I think it's not only desis, but some goray also neglect their dogs

• 1 month later...

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeters-celebrity-ninja-cat-ruben-6454707

Exeter's celebrity 'ninja' cat Ruben is missing again sparking widespread search

The black cat even has his own Facebook page due to his famous wandering adventures

• 11:17, 7 JAN 2022
  • UPDATED11:19, 7 JAN 2022

Notorious wanderer Ruben - famed for being Exeter's 'celebrity' cat through all his adventures - is missing again sparking a widespread search across the city.

The very friendly 10-year-old black cat has not returned back to his home in St Leonard's since Christmas Eve leaving his owners Charlotte and Jon Brammer anxious about his wellbeing.

Since 2016, Ruben has travelled far and wide - to vast numbers of different addresses. He has ended up at Torquay Police Station, he has woken up in someone else's bed and he even makes regular visits to the local primary school.

Read more: Historic Pinces Gardens gatehouse could become a cafe

His disappearances have become such a regular occurrence that Ruben even has his own Facebook page with fans as far as America. He has nearly 8,000 followers who are affectionately dubbed Rubenites.

However, as he has now been missing for two weeks, his owners have taken to social media to help track down Ruben to make sure he is okay.

Famous Exeter cat Ruben has gone missing again
Famous Exeter cat Ruben has gone missing again (Image: Charlotte and Jon Brammer)

Jon said: "Given his wandering nature we give him two weeks benefit of the doubt/ grace period. His record is three months disappearing act so we are optimistic he is okay but are worried about our little friend all the same.

"We have been told he was seen on Christmas Day in Barnardo Road and a potential sighting was made in Exwick on January 5. This is yet to be confirmed but thanks to a tremendous sharing effort, his missing post on Facebook has reached 30,000 people.

"It's difficult to know why he goes off in the first place. We have a three-month-old baby so I don't know if it's recently because of that?

What is happening where you live? Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea here

"When Ruben goes off he tends to head in one direction and the sighting on Christmas Day shows he was heading south-west so the sighting in Exwick probably rings true and he has been there before."

Ruben last went missing for two weeks last summer and was found to have moved in with a yoga teacher in Exwick.

Charlotte and Jon have had Ruben since he was eight-weeks-old and up until the age of five, Ruben didn't stray too far from home.

However, one fateful day he got itchy feet and decided to go on his first adventure.

Now he does it on a regular basis. Ruben is described as a ninja who manages to get into people's homes via windows or cat flats.

He has even managed to get through a locked cat flap before - and ended up on someone else's bed.

Ruben enjoyed a visit to Exeter's Buckerell Lodge last year
Ruben enjoyed a visit to Exeter's Buckerell Lodge last year (Image: Charlotte and Jon Brammer)

In 2021, Ruben's prolific wandering saw him confirmed at more than 80 locations across the city - and that's only the ones his owners have been told about.

"If Ruben wasn't chipped we would have lost him a long time ago," Jon said. "I think many people think that he is a stray cat because he doesn't like to wear a collar.

"Last year was his most prolific yet for wandering. The last time he went off in a big way was about five years ago when he disappeared for five weeks and turned up at school in Polsloe. The longest time since he has recently disappeared for was three months before the Covid pandemic."

His furthest adventure has been Torquay Police station after witnessing a crime being committed on Larkbeare Road.

Ruben pictured in 2019 with owners Charlotte and Jon Brammer
Ruben pictured in 2019 with owners Charlotte and Jon Brammer (Image: Devon Live)

Jon said: "He had gone from the children's home, down the road and at the time a crime had been committed.

"A man ended up getting arrested and Ruben was just there so the police then took him to the police station in Torquay."

Ruben's love of wandering is why his owners set up a Facebook dedicated to their cat's adventures.

Jon said: "Before we would just go out looking for him but now he is so well-known that people contact us via his Facebook page to tell us where he is and we post on there what he has been up to.

"If we had our way we would have him back home but it is in his nature to go off. Sometimes he comes home of his own accord and other times we have to pick him up when we find out where he is. It's just become a thing and we just make a joke of it and keep it lighthearted on his Facebook page.

"People just fall in love with Ruben. He has the sweetest nature and just climbs onto people for a cuddle and people don't want him to leave once they've met him.

"There's obviously a lot of black cats in Exeter so when we have sightings reported we get people to send us a picture so we can see if it is him. Thankfully he is recognisable because he has tears on his left ear."

Ruben is completely black apart from a few white flecks on his chest.