Dalits and OBC tribes don't like gita!

shastarSingh

On 9/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, MisterrSingh said:

They also have a very strong case for not throwing in their lot with Sikhs, too.

Our elders back in the day treated Ravidassias like dirt, to put it mildly. You don't forget or forgive that kind of thing very quickly. So while we can crow about Sikhi's egalitarian values on paper, the people who practiced Sikhi chose not to enact those values in their day-to-day lives. The amount of times I've heard that whole "separate entrance in pind's Gurdwara" (or in some cases, barring them entry altogether) is so embarrassing to the point it makes me angry.

This idea that the only thing stopping these particular castes is a lack of parchaar, is naive. There are families from those backgrounds who converted to Sikhi around 5 to 7 generations ago who are STILL referred to (by people of our background) as belonging to their former caste.  Disgraceful.

I agree, I heard from my parents that in their village so called 'lower caste' people were treated inferiorly. But why do they call themselves 'Ravidasi' and honor Bhagat Ravidas as an equal to a Guru ?

Shri Guru Ravidass Bhawan Website

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/Shri-Guru-Ravidass-Sabha-Sydney-Inc-242345872526467/

On 9/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, shastarSingh said:

Also listen to simranjit Singh tuhana on YouTube.

There r other kathavachaks too who quote gita.

Nirmalas rever gita almost like Hindus and many of our gianis and kathavachaks hv/had nirmala "vidiya gurus".

You are cherry-picking in my opinion.  If 95-99% of a kathavachak's material is purely related to Sikhi, then what is the harm in referencing other religions if there is a context for it ?

2 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

You are cherry-picking in my opinion. So what ? If 95-99% of a kathavachak's material is purely related to Sikhi, then what is the harm in referencing other religions if there is a context for it ?

I personally fail to see the context in kathas I hv heard. They just glorify krishan "bhagwan" in my opinion.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, Premi5 said:

I agree, I heard from my parents that in their village lower caste people were treated inferiorly. But why do they call themselves 'Ravidasi' and honor Bhagat Ravidas as an equal to a Guru ?

My theory: It's an act of defiance; think of it as a mild protest that's gotten out of hand. Put it this way, would you happily embrace the beliefs and iconography of a religious system whose followers practiced a form of cultural and social discrimination and ostracisation at your expense?

What person with even an ounce of self-respect would continue to bow and scrape to all the religious whims of a religious group who still harbours this mentality? I wouldn't. Yes, my "higher" brain would say "rise above it. The Guru isn't like that." Unfortunately, it's easier said than done.

• 7 months later...