Plans for new statue in Derby to honour Sikh hero

Premi5

What do you think @dallysingh101 ?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/plans-new-statue-derby-honour-6150598

Plans for new statue in Derby to honour Sikh hero

A new statue and a grand gate entrance could be installed in Derby in honour of the life and achievements of a legendary Sikh hero.

By
Nigel SlaterLocal Democracy Reporter
  • 18:07, 2 NOV 2021
  • UPDATED18:10, 2 NOV 2021
An example image of the statue of Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia. Taken from planning document by SREAR DESIGN AND CONSULTING

An example image of the statue of Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia. Taken from planning document by SREAR DESIGN AND CONSULTING (Image: Taken from planning document by SREAR DESIGN AND CONSULTING)

Plans have been submitted to Derby City Council for a transformation to the entrance at the Ramgarhia Gurdwara place of worship on St Thomas Road, Normanton.

The statue would be of Sikh leader Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia riding a horse in battle.

He was a prominent Sikh leader during the 18th century. He lived between 1723 and 1803, bravely helping Sikhs to both survive and protect the land from its enemies.

The plans have been made ahead of 2023 where Sikhs will be celebrating the achievements of the leaders of the 18th Century – particularly Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia, with the year marking his 300th birthday.

The management of the Ramgarhia Gurdwara, who have applied for planning permission, say the new statue and grand entrance will “add to the diversity and cultural value of Derby City”.

An executive summary on behalf of the applicant by SREAR reads: “In 2023 the Sikh community will be celebrating the achievements of the Leaders of the 18th Century who helped Sikhs to both survive and protect the land of Panjab, India from invading forces.

“They wish to erect both a monument and a statue in honour of the brave Sikhs of that period.

“2023 also coincides with the 300th birth celebrations of Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia and hence the occasion is a once-in-a-lifetime event with unparalleled significance.

“Planning permission is sought to construct the monumental gate structure, which is a traditional village entrance in the Panjab, along with a medium sized statue of Maharaja Jassa Singh Ramgarhia.”

Derby City Council is hoping to make a decision on the plans before the end of the year.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Premi5 said:

What do you think @dallysingh101 ?

I wonder if the money that is going to spent on this could be utilised in a better way? I'm not too keen on statues myself, and we've all seen what's been happening to them recently in the UK. But, at least this one isn't one that harks back to colonial sepoyism like most of them seem to.  

I'd hope that they may also create a stimulating, well researched, well written account of Jassa Singh and his times, but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that.....

Also, I feel that the tarkhan community should also do more to promote an awareness of other historical figures and not just focus on Jassa Singh. We need more awareness of Sikhs like Bhai Hardas Ji (Jassa Singh's grandfather and contemporary to dasmesh pita), Palit puttar Zorowar Singh, Sukha Singh (of Massa Ranghar fame) etc. 

But yeah, thinking on it, it's much better than having some colonial era figure being promoted. At least some Sikhs might learn about Sikh freedom and a period when apnay were trying to rule and establish themselves, instead of being docile subjects.  

He lived between 1723 and 1803,

I didn't know this. This means he lived through some serious tumult and got to see Sikhs establish themselves. Interesting to note that despite all the danger he faced in his lifetime (like all Sikhs of his era did), he still managed to live to a ripe old age. 

15 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I wonder if the money that is going to spent on this could be utilised in a better way? I'm not too keen on statues myself, and we've all seen what's been happening to them recently in the UK. But, at least this one isn't one that harks back to colonial sepoyism like most of them seem to.  

I'd hope that they may also create a stimulating, well researched, well written account of Jassa Singh and his times, but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that.....

Also, I feel that the tarkhan community should also do more to promote an awareness of other historical figures and not just focus on Jassa Singh. We need more awareness of Sikhs like Bhai Hardas Ji (Jassa Singh's grandfather and contemporary to dasmesh pita), Palit puttar Zorowar Singh, Sukha Singh (of Massa Ranghar fame) etc. 

But yeah, thinking on it, it's much better than having some colonial era figure being promoted. At least some Sikhs might learn about Sikh freedom and a period when apnay were trying to rule and establish themselves, instead of being docile subjects.  

I didn't know this. This means he lived through some serious tumult and got to see Sikhs establish themselves. Interesting to note that despite all the danger he faced in his lifetime (like all Sikhs of his era did), he still managed to live to a ripe old age. 

I think we need to educate our own community better first before building statues 

i agree if there’s any civil conflict here in the UK any time soon such statues will be easily targeted 

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Don't see the point of the statue.

Just a vanity project. 

There is a similar statue of Jassa Singh Ramgharia in Slough. About £25k was spent on it.

There are better uses for that money. 

At least it's money not going to corrupt politicians/councillors

21 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Don't see the point of the statue.

Just a vanity project. 

There is a similar statue of Jassa Singh Ramgharia in Slough. About £25k was spent on it.

There are better uses for that money. 

I get you. I think, how much will anyone learn from it? That's why I think a quality book would've been better. Plus these types of statues seem generic, a bearded and turbaned Sikh bloke on a horse waving a sword. Similar to the one of M. Ranjit Singh that keeps getting defaced in pedostan.

I'm not completely against statues though, I think that famous Gurdwara in Ludhiana did a great job in bringing Sikh ithihaas to life with them. But the location is right for them there. No nonSikhs are going to try and deface them anytime soon, and the variety in them actually do teach our ithihaas.

That all being said, the Sikh community forking out for statues that promote colonial era subservience is ultimately not only a greater waste of money, but dangerous for the message it sends to youngsters.  

Anyway here's what Jassa Singh looked like when older, for those interested:

moomjamma on Twitter: "The Misaldaars took the throne not only  metaphorically but physically, they ripped the coronation stone from the  Red Fort and took it to Amritsar, to the Darbar of Guru  

5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I get you. I think, how much will anyone learn from it? That's why I think a quality book would've been better. Plus these types of statues seem generic, a bearded and turbaned Sikh bloke on a horse waving a sword. Similar to the one of M. Ranjit Singh that keeps getting defaced in pedostan.

I'm not completely against statues though, I think that famous Gurdwara in Ludhiana did a great job in bringing Sikh ithihaas to life with them. But the location is right for them there. No nonSikhs are going to try and deface them anytime soon, and the variety in them actually do teach our ithihaas.

That all being said, the Sikh community forking out for statues that promote colonial era subservience is ultimately not only a greater waste of money, but dangerous for the message it sends to youngsters.  

Anyway here's what Jassa Singh looked like when older, for those interested:

moomjamma on Twitter: "The Misaldaars took the throne not only  metaphorically but physically, they ripped the coronation stone from the  Red Fort and took it to Amritsar, to the Darbar of Guru  

If you are talking about Mehndiana, then you are correct

I have been there and it brings a lot of things into lifesize and 3D

However, Gurdwaras in the west don't have the same kind of function. In some ways they have a more social dynamic. I suppose the money could have been invested into something like a gym or a library, it would be more beneficial.

17 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

This is not tax money though, this is the Sangat's money

17 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Ah, ok , just re-read it. 

@dallysingh101 - what do you think ?!

It could have been put to use for fitness/martial arts/Punjabi classes. Or even more so, towards Gurmat Vidhia etc

Definitely, I think every last Gurdwara should have a good gym at the very least. Most seem to have Panjabi classes. The little one I grew up around had karate classes in the 80s, then later kickboxing, then a gym. It's interesting to note that the committee essentially forced the removal of the gym in the early 2000s.  

Protocols need to be established about gyms. Because some people bring their gairSikh mates in (which is fair enough). 

I agree that money should be spent on things that educate sangat or enhance them in some way.  

Regarding the choice made by the Gurdwara, to be brutally frank, I think it's another example of uninspired generic thinking. But I hold rigidly to my point about it being a thousand times better than having neo-colonial propaganda in the form of sepoy statues, which still happen sadly. But if it is the sangat's own funds, they have a prerogative. I'd hope that the person they use to create the statue would be an apna or apnee too (to keep wealth in the community and patronise arts), but they never seem to be. That's another silly thing.

Libraries are a great idea but I wonder if apnay would take to them?