Servants

Premi5

What are the Sangat's thoughts on having servant/maid/paid help in their household?

A bit random, but many of you who have visited India and other countries will be aware that it's quite common for those who are well off to have servant who does many household chores/work like cooking, cleaning etc.

Some families have a chauffeur also

These jobs can be well paid compared to what they might make doing something else, but would be nothing compared to wages in many Western countries. 

I personally if I could afford, would have a chef. But only if I really trusted them (an Amritdhari Singh or Kaur maybe). Overall however, I don't like the idea, because you can never really really trust others. Risk of poisoning etc

In Panjab, one of my relatives had cash and jewellery stolen by their naukar who ran off to Nepal (was caught)

Thoughts ?

39 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

What are the Sangat's thoughts on having servant/maid/paid help in their household?

A bit random, but many of you who have visited India and other countries will be aware that it's quite common for those who are well off to have servant who does many household chores/work like cooking, cleaning etc.

These jobs can be well paid compared to what they might make doing something else, but would be nothing compared to wages in many Western countries. 

I personally if I could afford, would have a chef. But only if I really trusted them (an Amritdhari Singh or Kaur maybe). Overall however, I don't like the idea, because you can never really really trust others. Risk of poisoning etc

In Panjab, one of my relatives had cash and jewellery stolen by their naukar who ran off to Nepal (was caught)

Thoughts ?

Just encourages laziness in my opinion. If you have able bodied people in your family, why avoid what are essentially everyday human chores. 

53 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Thoughts ?

Our family back home also keeps people for cooking and cleaning but they pay them well, give them clothes and food all the time and even their kid sometime study in the free schools near gurudwaras atleast that was the case for our workers. I mean most of them are uneducated so i dont know what else can they do? They are nepalis as well. I dont see anything wrong with it as long as the people are paid well and it can ensure a normal upbringing for their kids? But i have heard of cases where people mistreat them, keep young kids and do bad things to their workers which i believe cannot happen in the west since there are strict laws in place but back home if you are poor and die no one cares. The problem with india is too much inequality. If you are poor your life is worth nothing. There is just too many people so the value of each life just diminishes.

23 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Just encourages laziness in my opinion. If you have able bodied people in your family, why avoid what are essentially everyday human chores. 

i kinda agree its just laziness and also some kind of exploitation at play since most of these people cannot find work so they agree to work for very little money and then people exploit these people as they are just so many people willing to do any work just to fill their stomach in that country so the people know thy can be easily replaced. Its the duty of an individual to pay them good but seeing the morals and greed of people back home we all know that is not going to happen. But some old members of my family cannot cook and clean back home so they keep these helpers and pay them good and also give them many essential items all the time. Thats why minimum wage and the concept of unions is so important as people can band together to demand more benefits.