Bespoke Painting - Harmandir Sahib

Singh375

54 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Ok then I agree. By the way, have you heard sufi music? The Nooran sisters were recently going viral. I think that is the folk type, appealing to the masses type of music that harmonium was meant to convey. Esp for the rural ppl. Because tanti saaj has been and still is something that requires years of practice and only available to the leisurely rich ppl. Which is great that guru sahib ji gave us such a great cultural heritage and we should cherish it. But also not stop the more easily accessible way to connect to gurbani. 

I 100% agree.

On 8/30/2022 at 6:31 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

So did Maharaja Ranjit Singh take Pahul from Buddha dal? And what maryada did he follow?

Also Guruji themselves created new instruments. Guru Arjan dev ji created a new style of tabla. So they weren't considered with authenticity.

And Guru Hargobind Sahib used dilruba which wasn't used by Guru Arjan Dev Ji.

I am not aware of any hukam of Panjwe patshah about  using tanti saaj. Only about reading gurbani as much as possible. Aavo Sikh satguru ki pyare, gavi Sachi bani. And shabad chaunkis have been a part of the Sikh tradition where they don't use any tanti saaj to sing. Except maybe dhol. 

Also about dal khalsa, do you know their views on bhagauti?

Ranjit Singh probably took pahul from Budha Dal at a young age.

Guru ji created instruments, it doesn't matter which Guru created instruments.

When Bhai Satta and Balwand were temporarily excommunicated, Guru Arjan gave hukam to the gursikhs to start playing tanti saaj and to pick up the instruments such as rabab. Jori uses half of a mridang, I don't think this is called tabla? 

Rabab has been part of sikh tradition since Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana... Guru Gobind Singh's sikhs performed aasa di vaar in tanti saaj outside even during battles as Guru ji ordered this during one battle, the gursikhs didn't make excuses like today's sikhs!

maybe dholki is used now but I think the puraatan gursikhs used mridang since Guru Nanak times.