Pictures of the Guru? Manmat or Gurmat?

sher_panjabi

i agree pics are not ideal, but what are you suggesting as the solution? are u proposing we get rid of all paintings etc?

Yasmin, i did not mean that as an offence, just asking a question.

As for what 9 out of 10 people do or think...

9 out of 10 will think that guru ji is a **** (dnt even want to type the word.. starts with a b)

9 out of 10 will cut their hair

9 out of 10 will will not have a problem with eating meat, drinking sharab etc

just because people think something doesnt mean our solution is to throw it out, instead educate them. if we want to go super ultra lets remove pictures full stop! of people as well, we generally keep photos to remind us of people, places etc. but since we not meant to have any attachment then y keep pics of the past people? all we meant to remember is vaheguru, so y keep albums of friends and family or gurmukhs?

believe me i do agree with you that pictures do cause a lot of problems, but i dnt think the right way of dealing with it is just to blast people, treat them gently and they'll listen.

dont forget bro, we may be able to understand a little gurbani and read it etc, but there are many many people who cant. for them that shabad on the wall means nothing.... just some words in a script they cant read. to loose the influence of paintings etc we need to teach the young kids the importance of gurbani and the role it plays in our lives. then they will learn that paintings are JUST paintings.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know my personal experience is that with all the colorful pictures of gurus that all looked the same just some white beards and some black reminded me of how christians have paintings of Christ and Mary.

im just a manmukh, my view is that pics are a step towards idol worship...the Gurus want us to remember God, not their pics.

Good to see a PEACEFUL discussion

Ak 47 Veer ji

are you saying that the such as Sai Mia Mir ji (Sufi Saints), BEFORE him and the Guru's time had to focus on pictures. There were INDEED true Saintly people from islambefore the tiem of the Gurus, hence hy Guru Nanak Dev ji attended the namaz until the qazi begun tihnkin about the horses! Orelse he would never agree to listne to the namaz!

"Who picture is this of? People say: GUru Ji. If it is Guru Ji then who are we to hang our Guru on the wall! How disrespectful. If you think the picture/photo on the wall is Guru Nanak Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Ji then shouldn't we do chaur sahib, have a takht sahib and give full honour to our Guru? Or is our Guru worthy of being hanged on an iron nail in the wall.  So either we say it is Guru Ji and give full respect or we don't hang or keep pictures on walls and at home and avoid this disrespect."
respect.gif
"I am not favour of pictures/photos of hanging or keeping photos of the Gurus. However, if you wish to hang photos, then hang those photos which show Sikhi Di Kamaa-ee. Those p

hotos showing Sikhs being sawn alive, burnt alive, and being torn on rotating wheels.  Keep those photos by which seeing you and your children see Sikhi DI Kamaa-ee and are inspired to live as Gursikhs."

respect.gif

Fair enough those pictures tha some veer ji's are talking about isntead of being of the GURUS (whcih peopel begin to bow down to) it should be of SHAHEEDS respect.gif

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!