brutal attack on singh

machete

By Harmit Athwal

30 September 2004, 4:00pm

A Sikh human rights activist has been brutally beaten by racists in Coventry.

On 26 September, 34 year-old Jagdeesh Singh was walking home with his 10-year-old nephew from Walsgrave Hospital when he was subjected to a barrage of racist abuse. Two White men then launched a physical attack on Mr Singh - punching him some 30 times, while calling him 'Bin Laden' and 'Paki'.

According to Mr Singh, the attack was the seventh violent racist attack on him in the last ten years, and definitely the worst. 'On none of these seven occasions has the culprits been punished. They have either escaped or the police have not felt it appropriate to pursue the matter further.' Mr Singh, who wears a beard and turban, suggested that these visible 'symbols' had been the trigger for the attacks.

The latest attack comes at a time, when incidents against Muslims, Sikhs and other visible ethnic minorities are increasing and in recent months, the city of Coventry has been targeted by British National Party propaganda about Muslims and Asians 'preying on their girls'

the attack took place last year in september 2004. if u go to sikhchat.com under news forum u cam also see a picture of the singh with his injuries. i personally know the singh. he didnt fight back becuase he thought his newphew would have got hurt. but personally i think he should have used his kirpan to protect himself and his newphew.

ji, this has already been discussed..please use the search feature before posting any material, to ensure that the topic has not been exhausted

yet but it is good to remind the community of such things. keeps them alert and ready. cos sometimes people here about things but think it will never happen to them until it is too late. they did not attack this singh becuase of who he was. they attacked him becuase of what he was, that is a sikh.

I agree with Japmans Ji.

Seriously veers, this topic has been discussed before and the same views are now going come to surface, please take a look at the old topic and read through that.

Veer I know you think we all need to be reminded, and more power to that, but its a topic that has already been talked about over and over... I don't think many of us have forgotten...

Forgive me for my many mistakes.