Real Fight Or Mere Display ?

Guest s133k_s1kh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

lol...good question

i know wenever i fight its not planned, whatever happens..happens but i noe some ppl plan some parts of their fight , but this is really rare (atleast from the ppl ive seen)

but honestly 99.9% of the time its not planned...i mean we do follow a pattern but once u start hitting and stuff, u cant plan that....u just get caught up in it u dont really noe whats goin on around u or w/v pattern ur sposed to follow cus wen u go really fast u lose it

honestly sumtimes i wonder how we dont get our heads sliced off fighting with kirpans and stuff...honestly man its all guru jis kirpa how we come out in one piece

say ur fighting with a sword and a shield then the swords flying all over the place and wht if it misses the shield and hits ur face...but it just never happens (gurus kirpa)

but u just gota be careful i guess wen ur fighting with sharper then u obviously have to b careful u dont cut the person but man its just so fast anything can happen...

i rem i was fighting with my ustaad one time and almost got him in the face so he told me to back up a lil when fighting with the swords...honeslty if u plan it it will be slow and wont look good...wen ur really hyped then ppl do wicked things like spin around and throw a vaar...etc...

hope that answered ur question

I highly doubt its' preplanned man. It just doesn't make sense to me. Some of the things like pentra and what not, you could plan, because some people like to say little poems before starting the pentra, but the actual SHASTAR VIDYA you could not plan it out. Its' dangerous stuff man, when you have talwars, and kirpans 2 inches away from your skin, how could you even think of planning what your going to do after a certain move. Your main focus is to not have the shastar connect to your skin. Its' a martial art, and this martial art is serious business.

I've played dhol for a couple of Gatka groups. I don't realy know a great deal about gatka (i should because 99% of my family do it) but from the groups i have been with they base there fight around the pentra,(correct me if im wrong)which is a fighting pattern. BUT all the fights are improvised..just based around that pattern.

I've played dhol for a couple of Gatka groups. I don't realy know a great deal about gatka (i should because 99% of my family do it) but from the groups i have been with they base there fight around the pentra,(correct me if im wrong)which is a fighting pattern. BUT all the fights are improvised..just based around that pattern.

Pentra is the footsteps. Basically, it is a means of moving around and staying stable at all times - So you have to always have the "L" shape with your feet. Pentra is not revised.. but used as a means to move around.

Guest s133k_s1kh
Pentra is the footsteps. Basically, it is a means of moving around and staying stable at all times - So you have to always have the "L" shape with your feet. Pentra is not revised.. but used as a means to move around.

Okie i didnt get this :D . Pentra in punjabi means a specific move eg a somersault or a backflip.

from the gatka videos i have seen it seems evryone follows a pattern splyy. wid kirpans and kataars. one makes a strike on his/her opponent's shield. thy maintain some distance to avoid the risk of any accident. whn doing individual stuff i have seen ppl go crazy like a solo kirpan and stick swinging and chakkar thgy.

okie now one question tht some bibian might not like :D

what do you think about the physical strength of sikh bibian?

lol a remember an incident we were playing gatka ... accidently some hit other guys hand .... and turned into real shaster fight .... they were madly going at each other and they both were real brothers .... its not preplanned but there is a lot of difference when to people play shasters friendly or the other way .... we use only 8 vars when doing talwarbaji in nagar kirtens ....

pay a visit to anandpur sahib at hola mohalla ....

Please don't use the words shastar vidiya and Gatka interchangably. They are two totally different things. Shastar vidiya refers to the ancient and pretty much lost martial art of Gursikhs. And Gatka refers to a show put on to impress ppl. Trust me I'm Not a U.K NIHUNG. And I have nothing against Gatka as long as its not misrespresented as a true fighting system. Which everyone seems to do now adays. I do gatka cause its fun and good excercise. But I can't stand it when ppl try to make it out to be the "martial art" of the gursikhs. If anyone has taken even a cheesy mcdojo (comericialized martial art) class they can see it is more effective and detailed then gatka. If anyones ever dedicated their life to a true and deadly martial arts then they can see that "Gatka" is way far behind. True martial arts of the sikhs is shastar vidiya. And i haven't learnt it but i can tell u from doing other martial arts Gatka is not it. I feel sorry for people who practice it thinking it will help them in a dangerous situation. Because a novice ninjitsu practioner would probably take out a vetran gatka "ustaad". Like i said i'm not putting it down. I just firmly believe gatka is not the martial arts of the sikhs and should not be marketed as such. Play it preform it for the oohs and ahhs of the crowd. Just don't let it get to your head that your learning the true form of shastar vidiya. Which in my mind is probably the purest and most deadilest martials art known to man. And trust me after a lot of research Gatka is not that. Sorry if i offended anyone. I just don't want gatka practioners to get a big head and be in a life or death situation and be filled with confidence in an art that may let them down in real combat. Once again not a u.k nihung. Just a singh who is observant.

Well concerning what Veer ji Quest4Akal said, I agree with u 110% that those terms r getting confused with one another. They truly are completely different things.

And about the "physical strength of sikh bibian?". I'ma be honest, those crazy gatka bibian scare the hell outa me :D , and u rlyy shouldn't underestimate any1, expecially gursikh bibian :D