Wish of Mardana’s descendent may not be fulfilled

DhadiMania

i personally think this is wrong what the SGPC have done. didnt the gurus say anyone can sing shabad, no matter which religion you are? and yet SGPC do this? i see this as plain wrong.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041004/.../punjab1.htm#16

Wish of Mardana’s descendent may not be fulfilled

Varinder Walia

Tribune News Service

Amritsar, October 3

Ghulam Mohammad Chaand (70), a Muslim rababi, who is a descendent of Bhai Mardana, a life-time companion of Guru Nanak Dev, is unlikely to get permission from the SGPC to perform ‘kirtan’ in the Golden Temple.

He visited Amritsar — his birthplace — for the first time after Partition. Immediately after paying obeisance at the Golden Temple, he expressed desire to perform ‘kirtan’ there. However, he was told that this was not possible due to change of ‘maryada’.

As per the new ‘maryada’ rules, the SGPC has mentioned particular dress code for the ‘raagis’. His uncle, Bhai Gyan Chaand, was the last Muslim rababi who performed ‘kirtan’ at Darbar Sahib.

According to new norms, only baptised Sikhs can perform ‘kirtan’ in the Golden Temple. Before Partition of the country, Muslim rababis were given special permission to perform ‘kirtan’ there.

Talking to TNS here today, Ghulam Mohammad Chaand said it was his last wish to perform ‘kirtan’ in the Golden Temple like his uncle. He would be performing ‘kirtan’ at the gurdwara of Sector 34, Chandigarh, on October 8.

He said there should ne no such restriction on Muslim rababis who remained with Gurus (till Guru Teg Bahadur) and enthralled the Sikh Sanga

t with ‘kirtan’.

He said he had been performing ‘kirtan’ in Nankana Sahib and Dehra Sahib Gurdwara, Lahore, without any restriction.

He visited Gali Rababian where more than 200 families of Muslim rababis used to live before Partition. They migrated to Pakistan after Partition.

However, he felt sad to see that there was no trace of his ancestral house following expansion of Gurdwara Guru Ke Mahal.

He said the well of the house that could have been preserved was also filled with earth.

He is accompanied by his nephews, Amzad and Ryaz. They are visiting India on the invitation of Ms Shumita of United Colours of Punjab.

Dr S.P. Singh, Vice-Chancellor, Guru Nanak Dev University, has promised to arrange Ghulam Mohammad Chaand’s performances on the university campus and in affiliated colleges of the university.

Das has come up with a letter, so we can all send this to the SGPC....

sgpc@vsnl.com

SGPC

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

pyare gurmukho, i am very shocked at the incident of bhai mardana ji's relative not being able to play shabad at darbar sahib. Surly, the SGPC can give someone, who is the descendant of someone who shaped sikhi some respect that will allow him to play shabad at darbar sahib. You can run around and let the Queen of england where sockes at darbar sahib, she has done nothing for sikhi. yet you cannot, and will not allow this one humble request of one person, whos desire is to sing shabad. and why? because he is a muslim! I am very unhappy by the fact you have altered maharaj's bachans by saying "you have to be amritdhari to sing shabad".

The act of singing shabad (anyone singing shabad) dates back to the time of Guru Arjun Dev Ji Sahib. If you think its wrong for a humble man like Bhai Sahib ji to sing shabad, just because of his religion, then i see it as plain wrong.

what happened to the idea of "nah koi hindu, nah koi musalman?" or have you altered that as well.

Da

s requests the gallant defenders of the panth, the SGPC to change the maryada and allow hindus and muslims to sing shabad, a tradition dating back from the time of Guru Arjun Dev Ji.

Bhol Chukke Muaff

Das

Author: Jarnail Singh Arshi Gyani

Date:  10-03-04 20:05

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh.

I think there is a problem some where ???

you see Bhai mardana...lived with GURU NANAK Ji and followed the Maryada of GURU Ji to the letter - NO Smoking, No alcohol, unshorn hair etc.

I think the rababis satta and balwand also followed this maryada. Guur Ji Arjun Sahib Jee would NEVER have allowed a SMOKER drinker etc to do kirtan.

BUT recently there was a hue and cry over Bhai Chaand ( also a descendant of Bhai mardana) because Bhai Chand smokes biri. Also he and his jatha were put up at some one's house for the night and someone was to pick them up for kirtan at a nearby gurdwaraa the next day. This man, the Gurdwar Secretary reported that bhai Chhand and jatha got up, did a kurli ( wash mouth) and straight away went and sat down to kirtan...no bath, no change of kacherra etc...even no change of clothes wore at night to sleep in. And more importantly they refused to give up smoking.

This was when the SGPC was lambasted by many and they have reinforced their maryada whereby only an Amrtidharee ( keshdharee) Sikh can do kirtan katha viakhiya paath hukmnama etc in diwan.

I think thats the problem with these descendats of mardana.

Dass jarnail singh

Author: Bundha

Date:  10-07-04 09:11

Jarnail Singh Arshi Gyani,

I absolutely agree with you. Just because someone has a tenuous link with someone 500 years ago does not give him the right to do Kirtan at Darbar Sahib if he is doing it for money and is a smoker, having said that Ragiis do it for money also. The 'adavh' of our Guru Sahib Ji must be utmost in our thoughts.

huge topic reg this on-

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...i=19043&t=19043

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Muslims would do "kurlee" after Kirtan because they said they had to wash their mouths after singing "kafir's" bani. only Gursikhs are and should be allowed to do Kirtan at such a holy place "Dithay Sabhay Thaav Nahin Tudh Jeheya" because only Gursikhs live their lives according to what they sing (Gurbani). Also, I think only Gursikhs should be allowed to sit behind Ragis not just anyone. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

But not all muslims are that way.. For example.. i don't think the Muslim fakir who laid the foundation of Golden temple washed his hand throughly just because he laid the foundation of the most religious site for Kafir or say sikhs.. ? Not all muslims beliefs and not everyone of em are same.. For example not every sikh is like kps gill..

also.. he is doing keertan all around the gurdwaray in Punjab these days :lol:

But not all muslims are that way.. For example.. i don't think the Muslim fakir who laid the foundation of Golden temple washed his hand throughly just because he laid the foundation of the most religious site for Kafir or say sikhs.. ? Not all muslims beliefs and not everyone of em are same.. For example not every sikh is like kps gill..

also.. he is doing keertan all around the gurdwaray in Punjab these days :lol:

I agree with you 100% mate. May Waheguru grant this mans wish of doin Kirtan at such a prestigious holy site such as the Darbar Sahib.

Waheguru Satnam

also.. he is doing keertan all around the gurdwaray in Punjab these days

yeah not all are but what do we know about this muslim guy? one who lives his lifestyle according to Gurbani should be allowed and no one else. chaman laal was going around doing kirtan too but he wasn't allowed either. i strcitly talked about muslims who used to do kirtan at Darbar Sahib not Miyaan Mir. also, Miyaan Mir was a sufi. there is a big difference between regular muslims and sufis. kps is not even a sikh so there is no comparison. if he takes amrit and lives gursikhi lifestyle then he can do kirtan otherwise it should always be a NO. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

People have different stands on this issue and so does SGPC. I am sure SGPC members must have had a debate or discusson before reaching to this conclusion.

First, everybody has the right to sing and learn from Gurbani, not just Sikhs. Secondly, it is the responsibility of ONLY the Sikhs to protect the honor of Gurbani and make sure no one disrespects It.: "Sabh Sikhan ko Hukam Hai, Guru Manyo Granth." So Guru Sahib used the word "Sikhan". So it is our Guru and so we have responsibility.

People must have heard keertan by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (you can download it from keertan.net i think) where while singing Gurbani in Qwali style, he uses "Kachi bani" and sings something that has the word "Mohammad" in it. So these kind of things should be strictly prohibitted.

So before we decide whether the decendent of Bhai Mardana should be allowed or not, we need to find out the truth about him, such as does he smoke, drink alcolol, uses tobacco, or do 'kurlee' after singing 'kafir's bani'. If he doesn't do any of these things, there should not be any problem with him doing Keertan at Sri Darbar Sahib.

well, thats what i think.

Agreed. I stand by their decision of not letting him do kirtan.

Remember, that our Gurus did not even give their sons/daughters the Guruship of Sikhism.

Our Gurus claimed that just because your my son, does not mean you can lead automatically, and follow the word. They bashed and destroyed the caste system because it relies only on heridtary connection, that if your dad is a good doctor, then your rich and above all the rest. They stated against this, and said you must create your own path.

Just because your Guru's son (the real sons) does not mean you get special recognition.

Just because this guy has similar genes to a historic figure does not mean we should let him read gurbani to the masses. Sikhi does NOT say to prevent people....for anyone can read gurbani. But, when reading in public..you must atleast show that you are attempting to follow the bits of it. For reading in public means that you can give out advice and help to others listening...its like a tool of preaching.

Judge this guy based on his own fruits. For the Gurus judged their own sons based on their own fruits, and not based on the fact that they were their sons.