Ban On Short Hair Marriages

anjaan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems there is an evolution to being an Amritdhari:

Sehijdhari > Kesadhari > Rehitdhari > Amritdhari.

Does the Guru care only for his Amritdharis? and cares none for the rest who seek his grace to become like his image? 

Someone thing to think about

"Rehat pyaari mujh ko sikh pyara nahe"

"REhni Rahe soi sikh mera, oh sahib, mein uska chera"

"nisani SIKH ki panj harf asat" .....not nisani khalsa ki......

89191[/snapback]

I have read them before, but tthanks for posting them again.

Those are the words of Bhai Desa Singh ji, not of any Gurus. Unless you believe that Bhai Desa Singh ji is equal to the 10th Guru. Then to you it is 100% accurate. Now im not saying one should not follow the words of bhai desa ji, but perhaps my ignorece does nt let me see the connectin between bhai ji and baba nanak.

great post JSS, now that people understand you should look at wiser people for advice, and even though you may not understand it them, these rules in sikhi were put in place for a reason, I want to ask a question, even if it is off topic.

If moani shouldnt be allowed to do anand karaj based on JSS's points that they are doing it laavan without any intention of following it, than what is the difference between this and keertan? WHen you do keertan there is almost always atleast one tuk about committment to guru ji in every shabad, if a mona isnt even willing to keep their hair and atleast show some physical committment, should they than be allowed to do kirtan? WHy should someone who made no commitment to guru ji, be leading sangat in a shabad about commitment? How is this any different than anand karaj. Some may say doing keertan will bring the person closer to sikhi, but in the same you i guess someone could argue that doing anand karaj and listneing to that bani will bring u closer to sikhi. So if you are willing to accept that monai + anad karaj = no sense, how can you also not accept that monai + keertan = no sense?

It seems there is an evolution to being an Amritdhari:

Sehijdhari > Kesadhari > Rehitdhari > Amritdhari.

Does the Guru care only for his Amritdharis? and cares none for the rest who seek his grace to become like his image?

Someone thing to think about

"Rehat pyaari mujh ko sikh pyara nahe"

"REhni Rahe soi sikh mera, oh sahib, mein uska chera"

"nisani SIKH ki panj harf asat" .....not nisani khalsa ki......

89191[/snapback]

I have read them before, but tthanks for posting them again.

Those are the words of Bhai Desa Singh ji, not of any Gurus. Unless you believe that Bhai Desa Singh ji is equal to the 10th Guru. Then to you it is 100% accurate.

89224[/snapback]

YOu are saying that bhai desa singh ji said nisani sikhi ki panj harf asat?

you gotta get ur info straight, this is from sri dasam granth, at the very end. In the hand written copy that Baba Deep Singh Ji wrote, this shabad is on the very last page.

Im not 100% sure of the other 2 lines, but im pretty sure its Guru GObind SIngh Ji and not Bhai Desa Singh

wow.. didn't think we could take yet another thread off topic...but since you've brought it up..i'll address it...

if you guys read the post clearly..it was against monai who have no desire to go forward in sikhi going through anand karaj...it wasn't across the board...

for kirtan...the act of kirtan is to singh the praises of guru ji of waheguru....and i believe that it's okay for monai to do kirtan...because i beleive that it will bring them closer...the FACT that they are actually even coming to gurdwara, coming to a samagam, or sangat, and sitting and listening to kirtan, doing kirtan...shows that they are trying to progress forward in sikhi...the difference b/w them and the people i said shouldn't have anand karaj is this:

the monas doing kirtan..chose to be in guru ji's hazoori when they could be out doing other stuff...sign of commitment...(and it's not one time..they're some guys i knew who were monas yet came to sangat every saturday without fail for years, and eventually took amrit...the fact that they came EVERY saturday night DOES show commitment, especially when we know what most youth are doing on saturday nights)

mona who never otherwise goes to gurdwara taking anand karaj: no commitment there to sikhi at all, doing it merely because it's what they're "supposed" to do....

hope you see the difference...

and to actually address your point even more...

there was a good friend of mine in the sangat i attend...who used to do awesome kirtan...but he got into bad company...and cut his hair and started doing drugs and drinking and whatnot....to top it off...he'd come to sangat just during the "keertan" time and would expect to get kirtan seva and then would leave right after and go to a bar....however...this kind of behaviour is unacceptable...because that is showing NO COMMITMENT..and he stopped getting kirtan seva..because he was making a joke of it...this is VERY different from someone who comes to sangata every weekend and is trying to make a conscious effort to understand gurbani and hopefully give his head to guru ji one day....there is a DEFINITE DIFFERENCE

YOu are saying that bhai desa singh ji said nisani sikhi ki panj harf asat?

you gotta get ur info straight, this is from sri dasam granth, at the very end. In the hand written copy that Baba Deep Singh Ji wrote, this shabad is on the very last page.

Im not 100% sure of the other 2 lines, but im pretty sure its Guru GObind SIngh Ji and not Bhai Desa Singh

The first line is not by Guru Gobind Singh ji, the other 2 i do not know about. I have made 2 or 3 post asking whether it was by Guru Gobind singh or not on here an dit was asked on sikhnet as well.

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.nsf/3...ight=0,rehat%20

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.nsf/3...33;OpenDocument

REALITY CHECK!!

WHAT IS REALLY SAD?… when some remote gurudwara does this – even if it is wrong...

WHAT IS REALLY SAD IS WE CAN NO LONGER RECOGNIZE THE SADDEST PART … we are not first upset at the fact that we cannot look ourselves in the mirror and be identifiable as a group of Sikhs. Rather we wrongly make the decision of the gurudwara the central issue!

I am not talking about any subgroup of us. I am talking about ALL of us as a collective who care for sikhi and want sikhi to prosper, Amritdhari, Keshdhari, Sehajdhari. WE should collectively share the sadness and shame of where we as a group have come to with regard to Sikhi Roop and kesh. We as a group have betrayed those we claim to be our Gurus. Sikhi was never a birthright.

Every Amritdhari person should be asking what have we not done for those who say they want Sikhi. It’s time to walk the difficult walk and reach out in complete humility. Every Sehajdhari person should be facing their weakness no matter how it got there. It’s time to admit that thinking we might be Sikh someday does not cut it and it's time to reach out in complete humility. Venting at the perhaps inane decision of a single Gurudwara is a scapegoat for all of us.

Each one of us from Amritdhari to Sehajdhari need to look within ourselves and ask what we MUST do to improve the situation of kesh and self respect as a whole.

WJKK WJKF

Although the decision of the committee is a good step but I think they have gone about it the wrong way. Rather that issue a directive like this out of the blue they should have put a time limit on it coming into effect. Say like six months or a year. Then they should have conducted parchar in the area to convince those who have cut their hair to come back to Sikhi. Apart from the parents, the Gurdwaras have to share some of the blame for the youth not knowing much about Sikhi.

I can understand the reason for the ban in the first place, if the Gurdwara committee is following the Rehat Maryada then it has to ensure that anyone who has an Anand Karaj at a Gurdwara has to be Amritdhari. The committee is just going part way by trying to ensure that the couple are just Keshdhari rather than Amritdhari. The problem has been that in last few decade non-Sikhs ( not monai ) have been getting married in a Gurdwara and some then have a ceremony in a church or a Mandir depending on the religion of one of the partner. This makes a mockery of the Anand Karaj.

who have cut their hair to come back to Sikhi.

Are you saying all Keshadharis are Sikhs? Is that all it takes to be a Sikh these days?