Ban On Short Hair Marriages

anjaan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the ruling, its a good step.  <_<

Do you think Guru Gobind Singh Sahib would give them blessings even though the bride or groom has not followed his hukam and taken amrit? He would tell them both to become a Khalsa, only then will he give his full blessings.

Rehat pyaari mujh ko sikh pyara nahe||

If they have a hair cut and don't follow the hukam of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, they are not a Sikh and can goto a mandir or mosque for all I care. Harsh words for a harsh reality. :wub:

89118[/snapback]

I disagree, I dont think Guru Ji would not have given his blessing, he did not stop people from doing seva if they were not amritdhari. he didnt force neone to take amrit, he asked for people who would... the lavaan that we take dont tell us to take Amrit, they tell us how to be faithful to our guru and to the person we are to marry. you pledge that you will try or will do what guru ji says.. its a step to get closer... it doesnt mean you are already there. Its true that Amrit is the way to our guru ji, but not everyone is blessed with that by the time they are 25..... some get it after, so will they remarry infront of guru ji when they are 50 something if they take amrit or keep their hair when they are 50?

well they didnt get married infront of guru ji cus they were not amritdharicus their hair was cut so will they have to get remarried after? what is marriage in our religion?is it to sign a document or is it to give ur word infront of guru ji? its not on paper! its the lavaan that makes a marriage.

so this means that these people who are blessed with amrit or the knowledge of keeping their hair at a later time in their life but are married (by law) are living together and are having premarital sex because they are not married in guru ji's eyes yet, however this is one of the 5 karehats. so they are still committing a sin....

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

wickkkedd decision

why would someone that is not a sikh want a sikhi wedding? and wat is the use of a non sikkh gettinga sikhi marriage.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji tells us, nisani sikhi ki panj harf asat. Meaning the symbol of a sikhi is one who wears his 5 kakkars. Notice it doesnt say, nisani KHALSA ki, but nisani SIKHI ki. Over the years people have becoming way too relaxed on the definition oif a sikh. Before someone gets a sikhi wedding, should they not first beome a sikh?

So basically those that agree are saying lets divide up Sikhi and those that are monai and cut their hair like myself shouldn't have any chance to become a Sikh later on with Guru Ji's Kirpa. So what if a person who isn't amritdhari is beginning to realize the true meaning of becoming a Sikh. All the amritdhari Sikhs should just push us away and prevent us from evening TRYING to go on the right paath. <_< You guys tell me, is that not a SIN right there ? no.gif For those of you that are saying "wicked decision, that'll show those monai for disregarding our religion" and what not, good job guys, this is really showing us that are not on Sikhi yet what "true amritdhari's" think of us. Thank you so much ! I've just begun to learn about Sikhi and what it really means, and if Sikhi is differentiating between people (even though I KNOW TRUE SIKHI IS NOT ABOUT THAT) i don't know what to say ...

For those that are all up for dividing us up and not allowing us to have the chance to share the love for Sikhi that you all have, then I'm sorry to say, but you guys shoudn't be allowed to have your weddings performed at the Gurudwara as well because you are just like us. You yourselves have not realized what TRUE SIKHI is about.

You guys don't want us to get married at Sikh Gurudwaras which is indirectly applying you guys don't care where we get married, hindu temple, mosque, court, etc. In a way those of you that are agreeing are telling us that we have no right over a Sikh Gurudwara just because we chose to live our lives differently because of the way we were brought up. And when we see and begin to learn and experience what a true Sikh should be like, and haven't gone to the extreme to take amrit because we are not ready ... we are being told we have to no right to get married with a Sikhi wedding.

Sony's right, it doesn't tell us in the lawan to take amrit. Yes it says to pray to the Guru as two bodies and one soul. And one can argue that, that is only possible when one takes amrit but if we are not given a chance then how can we do that?

I think you all need to sit and think about what you are saying.

Think about those of us that are just begining to learn about Sikhi and the effects your comments are having on us. Think about how divided we feel. Think about the paap you guys are commiting by preventing 'monai' Sikhs to learn about Sikhi and perhaps one day become amazing GurSikhs.

Think about it ...

Bhul Chuk Maaf :wub:

Sikh history is full of instances where the devout Sikhs were hacked joint by joint, boiled and even sawed alive, had their scalps cut' their limbs broken on the wheel, and faced bravely many other unbearable and severest of tortures, and yet remained firm in their faith to their last hair and breath.

Right from Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the Sikhs have been commanded to abstain from shaving or trimming of hair. According to Bhai Sahib Mani Singh's Gyan Ratnavali and other Janam Sakhies, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, while initiating Bhai Mardana into the newly founded Sikh faith, laid down the following three-fold Code of Conduct for him:

"Firstly, you are not to cut your hair.

Secondly, you are to get up early in the morning and do practice of the Sat Naam; and,

Thirdly, you are to serve hospitably the visiting devotees of God.�21

In another instance Sahib Sri Guru Hari Rai Ji, while blessing Bhai Nandlal, grandfather of Bhai Hakikat Rai with the Holy Naam, is reported to have codified as follows:

"Firstly, you are not to cut your hair;

Secondly, you are not to consume tobacco; and

Thirdly, you are not to wear a cap."

It is thus crystal clear that the injunction regarding abstaining from cutting Keshas was initiated by Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji himself and continued to be adhered to by all his successor Gurus. Hence the importance of keeping Keshas intact is the basic and fundamental requirement for becoming a Sikh. In fact, the Keshas are considered so sacred that for their cleanliness, care, and protection, two additional Kakaars, i.e. Kangha and Keski, have been prescribed in the Sikh Code of Conduct.

I think that firstly, people are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the way it's supposed to be, turning it into amrithdhari vs. monai. Where does it say that? It just says people with cut hair. What I quoted, is from here

http://www.akj.org/skins/default/books.ppa...ookid=3&start=4

Scroll down a bit, and u'll find it eventually. I'm not gonna turn this into an argument about keski or kesh, I just took out the part from the literature that says that kesh is a requirement. If Guru Nanak told his disciples not to cut his hair, how can we say now that a sikh is a sikh whether or not they cuts his/her hair? Several of you have said this before. It's ridiculous. In my mind, you cannot call yourself if you cut your hair. Forget about taking amrit for a minute, as a sikh you have to keep your hair. If you cut your hair, it's like cutting off your right hand (or left hand for you lefties out there :TH:) Everywhere in Gurbani, it talks about keeping your hair. It's riciculous to marry two people that aren't sikhs in a sikh temple. It's like taking a jew and saying ur getting married in a mosque. It doesn't make sense. This IS NOT an argument about taking amrit and then getting married, this is about people that cut their hair, and want to get married in a gurudwara.

I think i should give in my two cents here, since this is a topic that i really wanna comment on...

Who are we to say who can marry at a gurdwara ?? When guru sahib (and to Sony's question i believe it was Guru Amar Das ji).. at their time there were marriages going on, even Guru Arjan Dev Jis time when Guru Granth sahib ji was written and final saroop of guru sahib was in parkash. No one was amrithdari at that time but there were many marriages that happened. I wouldnt doubt even muslims and hindus that got married in present of guru sahib ji and maybe later guru kripa naal kept their hair or became amritdhari when Guru Gobind Singh ji made Khalsa.

... this is very VERY sad. You know what i think... i dont think we should put this ban and actually settle the even WORSE things that are happening in the gurdwaras right now.

I have never went to a gursikh wedding, but i heard many things from many gursikhs that its jsut absolutely amazing.

BUT... i have gone to many weddings at gurughars. AND ITS REALLY REALLY SAD. Bibian talkin at the top of their lungs, kids running around (which is regular, but ive seen it even worse), men talkin about nonsense, boys acknowledging their turbans, even talkin about girls and how they look, and what they thinkg about so and so girl sitting on the other side... ANDDDD this is ALLL DONE (plus many more i can highlight), WHILE THE LAVAA ARE BEING READ IN THE DIWAAAN. This is how a sikhi wedding is nowadays in gurdwaras !?!?!?! This is what we do when granthis are doing kirtan or doing lavaan !?!?!?!

... Its sad how we invite camera mans to come into and film our marriage and ive seen one who just no respect towards gurusahib ... walks around guru sahib in different picture takes and tries to get a shot of the couple ... ITS LIKE A FASHION SHOW !!!!!

... they are right that we are getting away from sikhi... and that no one gets the true meaning of sikhi wedding anymore, but putting this BAN into place is NOT the answer.

YOU GUYS WANT AN ANSWER OR SOLUTION !?!?! Why not start with our OWN families, (CUZ I GUARANTEE YOU, there is at least one family in all our own that do what i highlighted above)... we should all get together and first solve our own families. For all your relatives who do this .. you dont tell them SORRY YOU GUYS CANT MARRY AT GURUGHAR ANYMORE CUZ YOUR NOT KEEPING YOUR KES... but instead tell them, THIS IS THE CODE OF CONDUCT OF THE GURDWARA, and we all should follow it !!!!!

.... its really sad nowadays how our own families are making it such a joke. I know many (even my own family) who would skip the anand karaj and go straight to the after party. EVEN CHRISTIANS ARE BETTER where i known this one family where if you dont come to the wedding YOU CANT come to the reception after. LIKE WHAT THE HELL !?!?!

We have to fix A LOTTTTT of stuff happening in the gurdwaras nowadays and putting a ban in place is not the answer....

... i am amritdhari myself... i have committed A LOT OF SINS .. and i still do ... i pray guru sahib can forgive me.. if i said anything wrong i ask for forgiveness from the sangat...

bhul chuk maph!