value of hair

naam_jap

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

this relates to the video on sikhifm http://www.sikhifm.com/video_index.htm

download "sikhs and the city"

During the video it comes across this modern "sikh" girl whose claim is that "Its not important to keep hair, if the inner self is good"

And her mother supports this. no.gif

What are your views on this. I was pretty disgusted at the way they can say these clever stuff and denying the fact that Guru Gobind Singh Ji said to keep hair. Are we wiser then the Guru or is the Guru wiser then us.

"Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks will not go with you in the end"

I like to hear your views on this

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji ki Fateh!!

Excellent point 'Naam jap'.

A Khalsa is not fully intact without ALL his/ her keshes left fully intact.

Each and every rom acts as a conductor for spiritual elctric energy...our top-knot (jooRa) is like the aerial- a direct connection cable to God!

This requires practise of Faith.

I'm sure there's loads of articles written to back-up the scientific and spiritual significance of Hair- our most wonderful gift from the Almighty. (Just perform a search on this W!N engine if interested for more)

Bhullan chukkaan maaf karnnean uthe khimaan karnee! pray.gif

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji ki Fateh!!

in terms of sikhi, i think these ladies may not understand guru gobind singh ji's idea of the khalsa and the importance of hair...there comments may be acceptable as a general comment on faith....i have queries about the whole hair thing...

in the context of modern society, i think the rise in the number of people who disrespect their bodies by being inactive, eating excessively, drinking, smoking, doing drugs etc is as big, if not a bigger insult to the amazing body given to us by guru ji ...perhaps moreso than cutting hair. (??)...but then hair maybe distinguished because it also has a role in identity

guru angad dev ji taught us the importance of physical fitness....and it is all well and good growing hair to 'protect ur skull if ur hit on the head in battle' or something (sipahi)...but the hair is of less pragmatic use if people are not fit enough to even walk away from their enemy without tiring! no disrespect but haven't u ever noticed how most gyani's etc are overweight....surely not the sign of a balanced lifestyle

i think there is a reason for the order in which things were revealed to us by waheguru ji through the guru's...

guru nanak dev ji came 1st with the fundamental principles that we, as sikhs, should primarily follow (maybe the fact that caste system and paternalism etc still exist and influences most of us and our families shows that we have failed before we've even reached the teachings of other gurus, but thats a bit pessimistic!)

then guru angad dev ji taught us about respecting our body by keeping fit etc

then came the ideals of langar etc

then came the more sipahi ideas

the idea of a strict identity with uncut hair etc came last in the order

to me this suggests that in order to develop into the sikhs that the gurus and therefore waheguru wants us to be, we should go through the motions in the order that they were given to us as far as possible...even though we recognise that the same light of waheguru was in guru nanak dev ji as in guru gobind singh ji

on that basis u could say that uncut hair is not the most important because it came last in the order....that is not to say that uncut is not important, but is just to say that we need to retain some perspective about the relative importance of things within sikhi....we need to have the right ideals and beliefs before we take on the physical identity of a sikh in public....i think this is particularly important because if someone gives the physical appearance of a sikh but does not act/behave as a sikh should, the whole sangat is let down and sikhi gets tarnished.....it is such a shame when this happens because sikhi is so beautiful....

sorry that my argument seems to have drifted onto random other topics

ultimately, we need to respect the views of those ladies as their views (humility) but they should not say that their opinions are the views of the khalsa because guru gobind singh ji explicity instructed us not to cut hair and they would be misrepresenting sikh heritage

bhul chuk maph karnee..

Sissy : Physical fitness is important. yes thats true

Quoting you

"on that basis u could say that uncut hair is not the most important because it came last in the order"

so i guess physical fitness since it was said by the second guru ,Guru Angad Dev ji is of higher importance and Guru Angad Dev Ji came before so we should listen to that adivce more then that of Guru Gobind Singh Ji ? Guru Angad Dev Ji might not have explicitly said to keep hair , but it is implicitly implied by looking at the lifestyle of the Gurus. none of the Gurus or their families ever cut their hair.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji has compiled the definition of sikh. So it is our duty to follow it.

I know these days women are drawn into makeup and hair but its not appropriate to come up with these clever notions of trying to find ways around of not keeping hair. Its more harder for men to keep hair then women. Because for Women hair is her natural beauty, which she tradionally doesnt reveal to anyone out of respect.

maybe women like Sonia Deol should look at the 3ho sikhs and see how devoted they are. There seems to be a world of difference.

you are saying these women are humble, i find them to be very prideful of the way of they look, they way they talk, their actions etc, there is no sign of humilty at all.

hi...just to clarify when i wrote (humility) i didn't mean that sonia deol and her mum were being humble...i meant that we should be humble in that we should respect the views of others, even if they are different from ours....but we should be aware when sikhs are being misrepresented by such views

thanks for your point about it being hard for men to keep their hair..interesting but i would be grateful if you could explain it a bit more....

in the east , yes women tradionally dont reveal hair to anyone out of respect but men also wear turbans eg arabs etc

in the west i think it is very hard for women to keep body hair compared to men....

thanks for your point about it being hard for men to keep their hair..interesting but i would be grateful if you could explain it a bit more....

90224[/snapback]

its natural here in the west and also east that men have short hair and women have usually long hair. so the women blend in easily with long hair. whereas the men dont.

hope that helps..