REMEMBERENCE MARCH 1984

anjaan

waheguru ji ke khalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, about 3 years ago, i remember watching the march. It was the same old people doing the same old speechs in punjbai. Gore were totally bemused.

Then I saw Bhai Roop Singh Leeds going around to all the gore around the park spending 5 minutes talking to them about what is happening. They greatly appreciated this.

Last year was very good with loads of youth handing out literature in english.

We have to learn to engage people about the issue of 1984. This can only be done in communication in english in a non-confrontational manner. Elders shouting their heads of, and burning effugies, just makes us look like militants.

The youth need to be far more prominent, even more than last year to make this march have a real effect on people.

waheguru ji ke khalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

P.s. It would also be excellent to have dedicated youth team to look after the press. We did this when we did the Protest march outside the French embassy on the turban issue. It came in sky news, BBC and ITN. It is amazing the fact that the 1984 march nevers gets covered. Alot due to indian gov pressure, but possibly also because our organisers need more professional youth help.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you are right about the press, i mean whole of London comes to a stand still and we don't make the news! i was thinking of writing to a few organisations but ive been told to be careful about some national tabloids - some take it the wrong way

also 2 people i know are working on putting leaflets together to be distributed to on lookers and passers by; and you're also right about the speeches in Punjabi - does nothing for the people we wish to really inform! like some American tourists approached us last year to ask what was happening and were genuinely concerned when we told them

also last year the coffins were realllllllllllly gooooood! (lol when my dad first told me i was like who the heck is going to carry 20 coffins all the way and then he explained they were like replicas)

Veer Jagjit "Waheguru"

Thanks for your comments, I support you entirely on this front -the use of aggresive language, burning of effigies and other such actions, which in the UK and on the international scene are commonly associated with Islamic protests and marches are best avoided.

Roop Singh of Leeds is a good person to have up as a spokesman and I hope he continues in this efforts, given the recent 'press' Sikhs in the UK have had following the infamous 'play' and the subsequent ridiculing on nationwide TV (Jeremy Paxman and Newsnight) it would be helpful if we didn't continue to copy tactics commonly associated with Islamic marchs (i.e. mob rule).

Gur Fateh!

See you all on June 12, 2005.

GUR BAR AKAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!

yes, i agree....

-no burning of anything

-no over the top yelling

-must be peacefull

-make sure white public understands the protest...cause that's the whole point

overall, know you are representing sikhs out there...so don't do anything that could cause us embarrasment.

yes, i agree....

-no burning of anything

-no over the top yelling

-must be peacefull

-make sure white public understands the protest...cause that's the whole point

overall, know you are representing sikhs out there...so don't do anything that could cause us embarrasment.

99812[/snapback]

Would not happen, I think it would be quite the opposite except the last comment, Beacuse last year Sangha and I explained to this American what this march was all about, He couldnt believe, what had happened, he goes

'I never realised that the Indian Goverment was such Opposed to you sikhs, I thought You were all one race.

We soon corrected him though

KuMi,

I totally agree brother, people who have had relations/people they know totured/killed/harrased by the indian sarkar become very emotional, come off it you can not expect someone who has had a cousin (etc) killed during 1984. Not to be doing Boleh/Jakareh exposing indias supposed human rights violations. Its just my view, Jagjit Paji I totally agree we need some youth who can talk to the press (etc).

fateh ji also on the same day but in the evening there is a

kirtan darbar coventry

Sunday 12th june 2005 - 6.00- 9.30 pm

Guru Nanak Parkash Gurdwara, 71-81 Harnall Lane, COVENTRY CV1 4FB tel: 02476 220657

6:00 - 6:30pm- Rairass sahib ji with Bhai Harjinder singh ji (leicester wale) 6:30-7:30pm

7:30pm- 8:30pm Sant Niranjan Singh ji (jwadi kalan wale)

8:30pm-9:30pm Bhai Sital Singh ji Sitara ( london wale)

for more information contact jagjit singh juggy on 07865032964

If we feel it is necessary to educate the general public on our reasons for this rememberance march, then why rely on the likes of Roop Singh Jee to educate?

Granted Bhai Saahib does a fantastic job - but it should not all be left on their shoulders, or that of our elders.

If we want to educate the world - whats wrong with US taking some time out, and thinking "this year, I AM GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE" many organisations produce leaflets etc for events such as this, take hold of one batch and start spreading.

Start telling people about the atrocisties, peace loving, educating Sikhs have faced from day 0.

Advise people on the best way to take a march like this forward. Lets face it, those who have done a fantastic job over the last 21 years with organising these marches are not going to be around forever... so how about we think about how we as Young Sikhs can make a change, and act on it... not just think about leaving it to Bhai Saahib, or Bibi Jee, cos they're good at it, but actually saying, "LET US TAKE THAT APPROACH"

Just my thoughts..

Forgive me for mymany mistakes.