gatka classes?

singhni

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The closest place to Southall that the Khalsa Panth Akhara teaches is Hitchin, the Khalsa Panth Akhara is getting many requests to start Gatka Akharas around the UK and specifically Southall so please keep an eye on www.khalsapanth.co.uk.

Manchester and Hitchin Akhara are setup and running regular classes.

Gurfateh Ji

Vaheguru jee kaa khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh

Sangath jee its great to see so many akharea and i hope this has help the person who orginally started this post but why not get together and help each other, like surely having one akhara in southall then another one in the same area is much because martial arts can be learnt and tought by one another.

Just yesterday I was speaking to a singh in manchester who had just got back from gatka class that had been started up by khalsa panth akhara which is really good to see.

Just a small request i thought id make if i have offended anyone i am really sorry.

Very good point made by verji, but verji i think people just want to only help there own banner of akhara name which is a shame to see.

Another good point and i agree, just to make a quick point the Khalsa Panth Akhara has only setup Akharas due to sangat demand or other issues such as people charging fees to teach Gatka. Khalsa Panth Akhara does not receive or accept funding from Gurdwara, groups, jathas or government, and is totally self funded by Ustads and sevadars, so the motive of seting up akharas is only for prachar and seva.

Gurfateh Ji

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i mentioned before the seva done by Khalsa Panth Akhara for the sangath is being notice by everyone and now is being in demand and as 4givme4mysins has informed us no funding is taken this is a great parchaar that is being done by them up and down the uk, thanks for letting us know may mahraj keep blessing the akhara to spread the word of sikhi by keeping a sant sipahie jeevan.

Hopfully other akharea can work together and have the same sort of motive as i feel gatka does attract many people to learn about sikhi and the martial art and helps bring people in.

Sahibzada Baba Ajit Singh Ji Gatka Akhara is not affiliated to any Gurdwara or Jathebandi. The only money they take is for upkeep of the hall, as it receives no other funding from anyone else. As mentioned before Southall is quite a small town, and to open another Akhara withing same town would be a bit much. Sahibzada Baba Ajit Singh Gatka Akhara has been running since 1990 and is second oldest Akhara in the country behind Sahibzada Baba Fateh Singh Ji Gatka Akhara.

Like verji has put it if you both have the same motive why not work together and share the knowledge of the vidiya, from what I see the southall akhara has got much smallier so this would be a great uplift.

orono we should not look at the past and look forward now the akhara should welcome others

Like verji has put it if you both have the same motive why not work together and share the knowledge of the vidiya, from what I see the southall akhara has got much smallier so this would be a great uplift.

orono we should not look at the past and look forward now the akhara should welcome others

I would love to see the day when all akharas especially in the UK get together and celebrate Khalsa Martial Spirit, the only event close to that would be Yudh Gatka Tournament which i really hope all Khalsa warriors from all akharas try to enter in 2008.

Gurfateh Ji

Sahibzada Baba Ajit Singh Ji Gatka Akhara is not affiliated to any Gurdwara or Jathebandi. The only money they take is for upkeep of the hall, as it receives no other funding from anyone else. As mentioned before Southall is quite a small town, and to open another Akhara withing same town would be a bit much. Sahibzada Baba Ajit Singh Gatka Akhara has been running since 1990 and is second oldest Akhara in the country behind Sahibzada Baba Fateh Singh Ji Gatka Akhara.

Bhai sahib ji please dont take my words offensively, but i have been taught that to take any money after teaching the Guru's vidiya is a bad thing to do especially if we have the means to work and use our own dasvandh to support the cause we love so much. Yes it will be much harder but the seva will taste much more sweeter. There have been times where even teaching gatka in a park would do if a hall could not be arranged.

Gurfateh Ji

I don't think people should charge for gatka classes because I believe its not the real art of our puratan brothers. I truly believe this having studied about other martial arts. I don't think gatka is street effective at all. So please whoever is charging for classes please stop unless of course you are teaching basic self defense which is not a part of any gatka classes I've ever taken. Don't get me wrong I like gatka i practice it myself just don't think it is the sikh martial art.

For more info check this thread out.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=quest4akal

keep scrolling down for a great discussion on gatka. Thanks

I don't think people should charge for gatka classes because I believe its not the real art of our puratan brothers. I truly believe this having studied about other martial arts. I don't think gatka is street effective at all. So please whoever is charging for classes please stop unless of course you are teaching basic self defense which is not a part of any gatka classes I've ever taken. Don't get me wrong I like gatka i practice it myself just don't think it is the sikh martial art.

For more info check this thread out.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=quest4akal

keep scrolling down for a great discussion on gatka. Thanks

Ek Onkar Satnam

I respect your opinions and agree that gatka or shastar vidya has changed since the use of it on the battle field, my understanding is that it started to change when gunpowder weaponary became more common so the use of hand combat shastars had to also evolve. It is a great misunderstanding that gatka cannot be useful on todays dangerious street environments, as an amritdharie sikh i believe it is a must for all amritdharies to learn how to use their sri sahibs for defence even if they do not go deeper into the martial arts, just knowing how to use your sri sahib can help keep you safe on todays streets and it doesnt mean who even have to draw it!. It is also a great misunderstanding that people believe yoga was not practiced by our PURATAN brothers and sisters, gatka is practiced by the entire guru panth khalsa and is referenced and promoted on the nihang sahib web sites such as http://www.budhadal.com which i believe is also promoting this tradition.

Anyways khalsa ji stay in chardi kalaa and keep practicing some sort of martial tradition to keep our sipiyee flame alive.

Gurfateh Ji

Budha Dal Singhs in India have no idea of what traditional shastarvidiya is, due to the art being partially known to a handful of Babeh the art has more or less dissapeared from the Nihang Singhs. They can only relate to what they have seen, and that is Gatka.

Gunpowder and guns were used by Guru Gobind Singh, so to say that their emergence resulted in the decline of close quarter engagement is ridiculous. Yes guns were used by Singhs to a great effect, even praised by the British at how good they were with them, but when each musket takes roughly a minute to clean, load with gunpowder, pellet, light and fire it wasnt the best choice when a skirmish attack happens. Therefore they would still train highly in normal warfare.

Budha Dal Singhs in India have no idea of what traditional shastarvidiya is, due to the art being partially known to a handful of Babeh the art has more or less dissapeared from the Nihang Singhs. They can only relate to what they have seen, and that is Gatka.

Gunpowder and guns were used by Guru Gobind Singh, so to say that their emergence resulted in the decline of close quarter engagement is ridiculous. Yes guns were used by Singhs to a great effect, even praised by the British at how good they were with them, but when each musket takes roughly a minute to clean, load with gunpowder, pellet, light and fire it wasnt the best choice when a skirmish attack happens. Therefore they would still train highly in normal warfare.

Ek Onkar Satnam

I am no arguing the fact gunpowder weapons werent used by singhs from the past and our Guru sahib ji, i am stating that evolution did take a part in what we see today. Regarding the effectivness of gatka i can only speak from expearence, so ill only say what i know myself. If what you state about the shastar vidya you know is true and that the art has dissapeared even within the nihang sahibs in india then that is a very sad thing, especially with the jeevan they keep you would expect nothing but the best.

Gurfateh Ji