Should members have Caste based usenames?

Should members have Caste usernames?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should members have Caste usernames?

• Yes - Let the members learn and decide for themselves
    • No - Sikhi discourages belief in caste

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree they shouldnt have their screen names changed forcibly, and i agree only a polite request shud be paid.

however with regards to the thinking or let and let live, or the if they wanna do it they can, thats fine its up to them, jus that my personl belief is that if this forum is ENCOURAGING sikhi or trying to bring youth back 2wards sikhi by teaching them, that allowing this is going against what this sites all about.

also on that thinking sites like jattworld should not be condemned.

another thinking is that, if u allow 1, u have to allow others. and 1 could lead to 10,20,30,40,new members with jaath associated names.

i don't think we should RESTRICT them from using those type of names... however, i did vote NO.... don't get me wrong, i think they should make whatever names they want (as long is there not offensive or nething)... but thinking pratcically, its not the most appropriate thing to be doing, considering this IS a sikh which is supposed to promote sikhi... i personally see it like this, would it be appropriate to make a screenname such as 'sexy_punjabi_munda' or somethingl ike that...?

i would also have a very hard time believing someone if they said they didn't know that caste was against sikhi...

but... what can we do... they're free to do as they please.. to tell u the truth i did think about this topic once or twice.. but then i jes let it go... now.. here we are again..

although this is a Sikh forum doesnt mean only Sikhs are welcome hunna...

veer ji, i never said that..... i said this is a forum to PROMOTE sikhi... anybody is welcome... but i would think that if they really are tryin to become more into sikhi to have more common sense .... no offence to anybody.. tha's jes my personal opinion...

Hmmm....

guys i dont get one thing.... so far everyone is saying CASTE IS AGAINST SIKHi .. which is TRUE.. but being proud of one own caste AND thinkign your better than another is what the problem is .. not your name !

If one chooses to keep his last name based on caste .. fine with him .. AS LONG AS HE/SHE does not think his caste is surpreme than another or proud of his/her caste..

Yes in sikhi we should have name SINGH/KAUR or KHALSA as our last name BUTTTTT there is nothing wrong with having another (ie.gill, randhawa, etx...) as your last name..

BUT yes it does bring in controversy, and people start associating you with such caste groups, that is sadly the worst part.. but like some have said .. its upto that person to decide for himself..

I personally use my last name (ie.Gavria) .. in legal documents, school, etx.. but i started to use SINGH just cuz it sounds wicked and its the last name of my father !! For the people who know me know how hot-blooded i get when i hear anything to do with caste....

But let people be.. when theyy start being proud of their own caste and think their caste is surpreme than others ... THAT IS when the trouble starts.. THAT IS WHAT guru nanak dev ji wrote in bani that we shouold STOP doing !! And that is when we should as sikhs try to discourage people from thinking like that .. and explain to them using guru jis exaample !

my two cents..

bhul chuk maph !

potential questions:

'should members have the name "Singh" or "Kaur" in their name if they're not amritdhari or don't live up to their rehit?"

"should members have initials in their screen names (i.e.japmans) that represent the term Singh or Kaur"

"Should members have words that are lies? (i.e, we all know balait da sher is actually a person, not a real sher...)"

"Should members have the word "waheguru" or any variation in their screen names if they themselves aren't god?"

it can be stretched to ridiculous lengths to make this a pakki gal "Sikhi Forum"... but i can almost guarantee no one's gonna even consider more than 1 of those questions as legitimate questions for sikhsangat admins.

if u dont allow people to express themselves they will never be able to learn.. it is through their expressions words and names that we understand them and what they think... if they are not allowed one of two things will happen:

1. they will just not join because they are not given that freedom. if they dont join they wont learn. like one of the mods pointed out, after a while they may ask to have their names changed themselves, thats the goal.

2. they will not be truthful and honest, they may pick a sikhi name when they are not that in their hearts... at least this way we know what they are thinking and may make a note to reply a certain way when speaking with them.

let people learn and grow... the doors of sikhi are open to everyone as long as they dont come in and disrespect Guru ji, they are allowed to come in and learn which is what they should be allowed to do here.

bhul chuk maaf

Fateh