Report about Respect for Guru Ji

This morning, the Radio 4 Today Programme (one of the, if not the most; important news programmes in the British Media) carried a short 7 minute report on the Respect for Guru Ji campaign.

You can hear a recording of that report at

http://june84.org/audio/today-12-07-2005.mp3

It includes an interview with Gurjeevan Singh from the R4G who explains the necessity for the campaign.

It also includes an interview with Rob Marris (chair of the newly launched APPG for British Sikhs) and he completely ignores this ideal opportunity (on a very high profile news show) to highlight the very real concerns that British Sikhs have about attacks against our community as a result of the London bomb blasts.

A wasted opportunity by him. He was told as much at todays APPG launch.

As for the quote from Savraj Bains; about "... a growing extremist element ..." and thats not all he says; maybe he can explain if he was misquoted or not and if so demand an immediate retraction.

Excellent contribution from Gurjeevan Singh though. Keep it up Singhs and Kaurs.

nice...

i's good these guyz got out publically.. maybe people will think twice about having wedding in other places...

one thing... the singh who was apart of the campaign.. shoulda spoke about the Hukamnama given out by the akal takht which forbids weddings to be done in any other place other then a gurdwra and which says our Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee shall not be taking anywhere where its considered disrespectful...

that's like the Vatican giving out an order to the Catholic/Christian community... and if anybody went against that order there would be major chaos in the streets...

overall.. it was very good...

i dnt think Rob marris was too bad, being a politian he has to remain politically correct. but fare enuf... he cuda gone in2 the issues of the new committee

wasn't too sure about wot sum1 from the British Sikh Federation said no.gif

u do something for the panth & u get labeled an extremist n wot about sum organisations using R4G for their own motives :doh: @

is the British Sikh Federation the same as Sikh Federation who did the Lobby 2day??????? (i hope not)

i dnt think Rob marris was too bad, being a politian he has to remain politically correct. but fare enuf... he cuda gone in2 the issues of the new committee

It was a golden opportunity to address an issue that has been so sadly neglected and he just basically said the same thing twice; even after the interviewer came back to him once she discovered that they had more time than she had thought; he didnt attempt to use the opportunity.

If we are going to get elected representatives to deal with Sikh issues; and given that Rob Marris has a large Sikh constituency; and not forgetting that he is the chair of the APPG and given that he was introduced with a lead in mentioning the formation of the APPG; then he could at least have tried to say something of value.

We have to learn to understand that MPs work for us; we should not grudgingly accept what they say but chase them, harry them and get them to represent us.

I just think he could have said more of relevance; I don't suspect anyone is going to stop him from touching on such an important issue considering that the bomb blasts are the major news story of the moment.

is the British Sikh Federation the same as Sikh Federation who did the Lobby 2day???????  (i hope not)

108600[/snapback]

Nope - different organisations. Though it might be unfair to label this one comment as representative of the views of the BSF in general. I'm hoping it was just someone speaking out of turn.

Guess we'll find out ..... eventually.

i have the original hukamnama.. it doesn't specify whether Guru Granth Sahib Jee can or cannot be taken to halls... it just says that weddings have to be done at the gurdwara.. and that Guru jee cannot be taken to places of disrespect.. in my opinion that means places where there is meat/alcohol/cigarettes...

Here is a copy of " rough" English translation of the Hukamnama posted at sikhnet.com

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

----------------------

Sat Sri Akal,

For the benefit of those who can not read Gurmukhi and do not understand Punjabi I have done a ‘ROUGH’ translation of the Hukamnama about holding the Anand Karj in marriage places and hotels. The copy of the original, in Punjabi, is posted by one of the Sikhnet Discussion Moderators a few posts above this in the very same thread.

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

Logos and the letterhead of

Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, Sri Amritsar (Pb) India

Today, (date) 16.3.98 a meeting (gathering) of Five Singh Sahiban took place at the Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, at which a matter arising from a letter of Bhai Rajinder Singh Phagwara and a large number of letters received from devotees regarding “Beadbi” ( disrespectful behaviour) accorded to Sri Guru Granth Sahib at the “marriage palaces” and hotels at the time of Anand Karaj was considered. Finally this decision is conveyed that for the reason of keeping the matter of according proper respect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ‘front and centre’, the Sikh Sangat may not hold the Anand Karj ceremony in any marriage palace or hotel; and a special caution is advised by the Five Singh Sahiban to the Garanthees, the Raagees and administrators that they do not take part in such a ceremony that takes place in ’marriage places’ and hotels. A person found violating this may become subject to an action taken, in accordance with Panthic Mariyada, by the Sri Akal Takat Sahib.

Also, with all humility, a message is conveyed to all Sikh Sangat that they accord proper and full respect, and observe Panthic Mariyada to Sri Guru Granth Sahib while observing occasions of happiness as well occasions observed for grief in their ‘homes’ and ‘other places.’

Seal of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib. Guru Panth Da Daas (servant of Guru Panth)

. (Signed by Ranjit Singh)