Plea To Allow Sikh Women To Perform Seva Rejected

http://www.sikhsangat.org/publish/article_433.shtml

no.gif We harp the same old tune that sikhi is about Equality, yet our actions show a different sikhi being practised.

Its time all these so called religious leader should be called on live tv and they should answer the questions from sikh viewer live on TV.

AMRITSAR, SEP 22

All the five granthi singhs of the Darbar Sahib today outrightly

rejected SGPC chief Bibi Jagir Kaur's plea to allow amritdhari Sikh

women to perform religious service inside the shrine.

singh_sahib.jpg

At

a meeting here, presided over by Singh Sahib Gyani Gurbachan Singh, the

five singhs in a resolution rejected Kaur's plea to allow Amritdhari

Sikh women to perform religious service along with male members inside

the sanctum sanctorum of the Harmander Sahib.

The five singhs later submitted the resolution before Akal Takht

Jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti who is the ultimate authority to take a

decision in this regard.

The five singhs are Gyani Gurbachan Singh, Gyani Mohan Singh, Gyani Jaswinder Singh, Gyani Jagtar Singh and Gyani Mal Singh.

On August 17 this year, Kaur had allowed the amritdhari Sikh women to

perform religious service subject to final approval from Vedanti.

Earlier, Kaur in her proposal forwarded to Vedanti had favoured

allowing amritdhari Sikh women to perform Kirtan Sewa (singing of

religious hymns) in the Golden Temple.

Does anyone know what reasons did these guys give for not allowing women to do seva?

i posted the same topic on waheguroo.com, and i (rightfully?) got joothia for saying bibi jagir kaur and vedanti were in the right for even proposing the idea.

one person from W!N claims bibi jagir kaur did this as a publicity stunt because of the fact she was set to get flamed for killing her daughtr who maaried a takhan.

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=12037

if the panj singh (the 5 granthis of darbar sahib) said no on the grounds bibi jagir kaur wanted to pull a stunt, then what does the sangat make of that?

but please consider this, bibiyan did do keertan at sri darbar sahib at the gurus times (someone posted a comment here that they listend to a katha where a kathavicharak stated this, i also heard it when a singh sahib came to our local guru ghar). the reason why they were banned was thanks to our wonderful brahmin mahants.

gustaphi maaf

Was talking with another singh.. and we were discussing this issue. What i think is that the sewa is being done during midnight right? 99% of sewadars are local who are taking part in sewa for decades. If you say there are 10 sewadars required to do sewa inside, now let say one traveler bibi comes for the sewa during the midnight and wants to do sewa.. 9 male sewadars and one bibi sewadar Would that look nice.. i mean .. i don't want to think about something but human can make mistakes.. keeping in mind that this is kalyug time... I certainly would not feel comfortable knowing this and think about how a indian mentality cultured person will react to that... Unless the whole inside darbar is open for sewa, as many sangat can come will be okay for any number of bibian but closed and restricted enviornment isn't good choice.. in my views..

Now to tackle this problem another singh suggested me that there should be duties divided like 3 days will be reserved for male and rest of the days will be reserved for females to do inside sewa.. Now thats what we majority can agree on that.

If someone wants to do sewa, sewa can be done on the other parts of darbar sahib, i see nobody turning to clean up the bathrooms of darbar sahib :) There are dozen sewas available.. why one when you can have dozen others?

Anyway don't jump on me now blush.gif