Sikh Societies...

Golee Maro

Just wondering on what sangat thinks of the following...

--- POSTED ON BOSS e-GROUP ---

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

BOSS - British Organisation of Sikh Students.

"Who Is BOSS

The British Organisation of Sikh Students (BOSS) is a body of Sikh students, ex-students and concerned individuals involved in the administration and organisation of various activities for Sikh Societies, Youth groups in universities, colleges and Gurudwaras all around Britain.

Mission Statement 

The British Organisation of Sikh Students is a non-political, non-profit making, independent body which acts as an umbrella organisation helping to develop, assist and support Sikh youth groups. In particular those aged 18-30, of whom a significant proportion are at institutions of further and higher education; this in no way excludes those under or over that age."

A direct quote from the BOSS website.

So many Sikhi Camps... So many emails... So many organisations to help guide us on our journey to our Guru... and yet we still have Presidents of Sikh Societies in our universities who believe that wearing a karah makes you a true 'Sikh'! Ladies and gentleman... I give you the president of Aston Sikh Society!

I would like to know how it is that BOSS... an umbrella organisation... can let such people be Presidents of Sikh Societies at universities??? At colleges??? This is the time when our youth are most influential... most vulnerable. Should not an organisation such as BOSS keep a very close eye on who is and who is not a president of our societies???

Kingston 2003/2004... have we forgotten? Have we not learned? I was there. A new committee had come into play. Five members... working as a team. One of the five stood at the front of the very first Sikh Society meeting and told the sangat that if anyone wanted to contact any member of the committee and where unable to via email... they would be able to find him in the bar a majority of the time! It may have been a joke... but was it appropriate?

It was not until one of the sangat got in contact with Harjit Singh that BOSS had any idea of what was happening. Is that right? Does BOSS have idea as to who the new president of Aston Sikh Society is? What his intentions are with the society? What his plans are? Or any other university or college for that matter????

I go back to my point of the vulnerability of our youth. At college and university our youth are entering their adulthood... it is during these crutial years that they will make decisions that will affect the rest of their lives, their family's lives. Many students... such as myself... come from families that are not very religious. They have very little knowledge of Sikhi. It is during these years at university that most of our youth will learn about the beauty of Sikhi.

If they go to meeting where they are told by the president that 'wearing a karah makes you a true Sikh and now lets talk about a trip to Barcelona or Brussels'... what are they learning? In my eyes that is a Social Society not a Sikh Society.

I would like to make one more point. If you were to go to a meeting for the Womens' Society... what would you think if the president was male? You would not take the society seriously and would not have respect for what was said during the meeting. So... how is it right for the president of the Sikhi Society to a mona? How can anyone respect what they have to say about the teachings of our Gurus? As Sikhs... our aim in life is to be at one with Waheguru, by (at the core of it)taking Amrit...how can you respect that if you are being told it by a mona? who goes out? who listens to nothing but Bhangra until the early hours of the morning?

I feel that BOSS needs to re-evaluate its priorities. It needs to stand back and take a very long hard look at what is happening in universities and colleges and take some action, because if they don't... our future... the youth of today... will start to believe that as long as they wear a karah and pop in to the Gurdwara from time to time... Its all good!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with mona's being president of sikh society. If they are the best person for the job then whats the problem?

The president of the Sikh society I attened at uni was a mona too, he had more passion for spreading message of Sikhim in the uni more than most Sikhs in the uni at that time, thats why he set the society up single handedly.

I don't understand how some singhs got a probably with mona brothers just cos they don't look the part. Their are probably more mona sikhs out there than amritdhari or even keshdhari.

But if the president aint being responsible in the role and spends more time listening to bhangra than gurbani then obviously his priorities are wrong and shouldnt have applied for the role in the first place.

Their are probably more mona sikhs out there than amritdhari or even keshdhari

True, because a Sikh according to Gurbani and Rehit is one who follows rehit?

I dnt have that much a problem with monay acting as presidents, but when i used to trim and run mine, i was told by a mona!! That if im gona be teaching Sikhi, i should be living it! Made me think.

Its a true statement, if you are going to be spreading the word of sikhi, shouldnt you first be living that life?

Whats the purpose of sikh socs now? In the last 2yrs, i havent seen much actual Sikhi being taught other then maybe a few unis i have been to!! Why is this? because unfortunatly its run as a society, where by everything is a social event. - Dinner and Dance - why? Why not do a nice Kirtan Darbar instead such as DMU has done many a time and other london unis.

Get the Uni kids involved in the local city events - this is the aim for coventry this yr, if weare having socs to teach people sikhi, then it really should be done where resources are available!! Especially with the youth as they can speak on the level of the students.

All up for monay doin socs, but if they not living Gursikhi, how can they teach it?

Nothing wrong with mona's being president of sikh society. If they are the best person for the job then whats the problem?

The president of the Sikh society I attened at uni was a mona too, he had more passion for spreading message of Sikhim in the uni more than most Sikhs in the uni at that time, thats why he set the society up single handedly.

I don't understand how some singhs got a probably with mona brothers just cos they don't look the part. Their are probably more mona sikhs out there than amritdhari or even keshdhari.

But if the president aint being responsible in the role and spends more time listening to bhangra than gurbani then obviously his priorities are wrong and shouldnt have applied for the role in the first place.

127079[/snapback]

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I feel that BOSS needs to re-evaluate its priorities. It needs to stand back and take a very long hard look at what is happening in universities and colleges and take some action

I don't think BOSS is solely responsible for this. BOSS is run by a group of volunteer sevaadaars who work to help Sikh Socs establish and do Sikhi Parchaar. I don't think they claim to have the single responsibility for Sikh Socs. But if they were approached, they would aim to ensure Gurmat is taught in Sikh Societies.

At the end of the day, it is the duty of every Sikh to try to prevent corruption or distortion of Sikhi, whether it be in Gurudwara Management Committees, University Sikh Socs or Maharaaj being taken to banqueting halls.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Wjkk Wjkf

I personally believe that BOSS do a Brilliant Job, (from my experience). WHENEVER, We need Literature, CD's, goodie packs, Lecturers/talkers AND .. ADVICE, BOSS have helped us quickly as possible.

Im a student at DMU (Demontfort Uni, Leicester). Im a final year, and active in helping run the Sikh Society. We must remember that BOSS cant be EVERYWHERE, this is why they have TAKEN steps to help keep an eye out, such as having Representatives in each area, if not City, For example, East Mids, West Mids etc...

There are pro's n cons of Moneh and Non Amrithdari People being head of Sikh Soc. Like, i would say If moneh want to get into sikhi, and if runnin a sikh society helps them get closer to Sikhi, then why not? Many of us, one day may have been moneh. Maybe that one mona who gets involved into Sikh Societies, a year down the line, he may grow his hair..? You never know.

On the other hand, its better if a Amrithdari Sikh runs Sikh Soc, as he/she knows more about sikhi, the rights and wrong, the do's and dont's? i.e. one may think organising a Bhangra gig is ok, whereas the other may say, "No, hold on, thats Panjabi, and not sikhi.. We should do kirtan darbar instead.."

However, instead of having a committee or a president and stuff, have Panj Amritdhari Sikhs running it. Many Moneh, girls who are not amritdhari, DO still get involved and do what they wish, However, everything goes through panj Amritdhari Sikhs to make sure that everythin is above board, in terms of right + wrong / Do's + Dont's... I know one uni that does that, and Guru ji does loadza kirpa.

But back to original point, i believe BOSS are doing their job, end of the day, i think they are doing their best. Without their seva / help, we wouldnt be as far as we are today, as sikh socs.

These are My views, others may have different experiences.

Guru ji knows who are doing seva for his panth today, and how much, in fact.

Keep it up BOSS.

Wjkk Wjkf

P.s. > Can we get the ball rolling for East midlands Sikhi Week please??? :> :)

Pul chuk maaf

If somebody runs a society, it does not mean that they TEACH for that society.

A person can book rooms, invite guest speakers, encourage people to attend and learn more, give out flyers, sort out the finances, put up posters etc etc all important parts of running a succesful society... without being amritdhari.

Yes the people doing the talks and presentations should be people who are at least taking positive steps in sikhi, but what there is nothing wrong with people helping out in the organising of such events.

it is natural for people who have passion for sikhi to want to get involved as this gives them an avenue to ask questions, to get first hand contact with singhs and singhnia, to arrange talks on stuff which they themselves want to learn about etc.

yes they should be responsible in their attitudes and that comment as quoted above is a silly one. but i remember from my uni days there were loads of moneh guys that got involved and wanted to learn and did learn yet also did whatever they did in their private lives. hopefully what they learnt affected them, and i know for some people it HAS definetly changed their lives. you will find that the people who are serious about doing SEVA for the society will take it seriously where as most who do it for a laugh or as something to put on their future job applications will think that it is just a joke. Running these thing is HARD work, as anyone who has been in the thick of it can tell u!

it is more about being sensible than strict regrading who 'runs' or 'organises' things. if their approach, attitude and common sense is good, then its not an issue. even some 'singhs' are i would say unsuitable to run societies, not because they are bad sikhs but becauase they turn people away, or are not willing to talk to new people or put their full time and effort into it. we also have some sikhs (with reference to my recent debate on this forum regarding this issue) who think it is fine for singhs to be in bars etc as well.

BOSS is doing and has done a great job, many of the guys behind the scenes also run help and organise countless other projects and events.

Ranz, try and come down to the langar event if you can, last year the sikh socs fed over 2,000 people at the university right in the middle of the campus in 100foot marque! . Each person removed their shoes, were helped to cover their heads, washed their hands and sat on the floor as we do in the langar hall and were given langar and literature covering langar. i understand the sikh soc was flooded with emails from non-sikh students saying thank you and that they learnt so much and had a lot of respect for the sikhs and the institution of langar.

The event in fact won 'SOCIETY EVENT OF THE YEAR' at the University of Birmingham which is one of the biggest unis in the country and has arguably one of the biggest Student Unions in the country too. The event beat all the bar and pub crawls, all the other events by every other society! Ps this event cost thousands of pounds which was funded by BOSS and the students of the sikh socs.

This year the society event should be bigger and better as people will be expecting it! So if u can try and come down and help do some seva! The more hands the better, chat to the uni students, answer their questions, clean their shoes etc! This is a chance to show people this great thing that Guru Nanak Dev Ji started!

from my personal experience at the sikh society at my university the position of 'President' was just a formality cause the school wanted us to fill out a paper with the names of the pres and vice-pres...I hope it is like this with all sikh societies...sikh societies are supposed to be a time for sikhs and non-sikhs to come learn about the fundamentals of sikhi...our sikh society meetings had just as many non-sikhs as sikhs...this isn't urdwara politics people, whoz the president i wanna talk to the president! LOL we're better than those old uncles with no life other than politics..

The more hands the better, chat to the uni students, answer their questions, clean their shoes etc! This is a chance to show people this great thing that Guru Nanak Dev Ji started!

127257[/snapback]

:doh:

DEFO bro.

We Are humble servents of the Lord.

Will make full effort to come down to many events as possible, paji.

Lets make our Sikhi weeks (in Every Region) a Success, knowing all Sikhs CAN work together)

:)

Waheguroo pray.gif