Why Wear A Turbin?

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Heres some good reasons copied n pasted from:

http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/turban.html

Q: What is the purpose of turban? Why do Sikhs wear turban?

A: The covering of hair with turban was made official by Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the tenth Guru of Sikhs. The main reason is to preserve the Sikh identity. Sikhs are only 2% of India’s population, if Sikhs do not wear turban, they would be lost in the crowd of Hindus and Muslims. No one will be able to identify a Sikh. Upon establishing turban as a Sikh identity Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, “My Sikh will be recognized among millions”.

In addition, the people from high class wear turban and were called sardars (leaders). This segregated people from high and low classes. So in order to eliminate the class system associated with turban, Guru Gobind Singh Ji made each and every Sikh a sardar. He also rejected class system by giving all Sikh the last name Singh and Kaur.

Furthermore, Sikhs do not cut their hair and the turban protects the hair from dust. Some people might ask the question that if Sikhs cover their hair on head, why don’t they cover their beard? The only reason one would cover his beard is to protect it from dirt. But dirt is not a big problem for beard. The beard can be cleaned very easily while washing the face.

Just found this relating to the topic aswell from the same site:

My turban has saved me so many times that I cannot even begin to explain. Like most, I am also filled with greed and lust. I even thought about looting or robbery in order to accumulate wealth. But everytime I think about it I think about my turban. A thought comes in my mind that how will my Guru feel if I do such a thing. I am a Sikh and a Sikh must walk on the path of humility and respect and live happily in whatever God has given me. If I have not had a turban on my head, I probably would have become a thief, a rogue, and probably a murderer. My turban saves me.

My turban saves me from bad company. Due to my turban the ill minded people do not approach me and neither do I go to the bars. When I was in high school, I saw a person who was talking to high school kids about taking drugs. He would approach the kids and show then a small packet containing the drug and would ask them to try it. But he did not talk to me, he did not come near me, he saw my turban and kept his distance.

I sometimes think how would my life be if I have not had a turban on my head. It would be very easy to talk to be in contact with druggies and robbers. Having such a company I probably would have become a drunkard and a drug addict. The symbol Guru ji gave me actually saves me. Now I know the importance of turban and its purpose. It is not just an identity of a Sikh but also keeps a Sikh away from bad thing and bad company.

:doh:

no crown no king.. no turban no singh!

oh raja kee jis de sir te taaj nahi...

oh singh kee jis de sir te dastaar nahi!

129277[/snapback]

:) I like that - got to memorise!

Yesterday 2 mona boys walked by me in busy Central London and shouted "oyeee Sardar Ji!" I was bit bemused :doh: @ but then thought it was quite funny!

:doh:

no crown no king.. no turban no singh!

oh raja kee jis de sir te taaj nahi...

oh singh kee jis de sir te dastaar nahi!

129277[/snapback]

:) I like that - got to memorise!

Yesterday 2 mona boys walked by me in busy Central London and shouted "oyeee Sardar Ji!" I was bit bemused :doh: @ but then thought it was quite funny!

129283[/snapback]

ditto. Sorry man i'm stealing that one :doh: