Re-marriage

Nama Singh

VJKK VJKF

Is it okay to remarry with the 4 laavan if you have been declared a "divorcee"?

One of my friends is remarrying in a few weeks and she had this problem a while back - she wanted to have a Gurdwara marriage but her in-laws were not keen. I suggested she approach the Gurdwara granthi and commitee for guidance. Having done so, they said they don't mind allowing the marriage to go ahead as long as the intentions were to stay with each other for the rest of their lives.

Just wondering what sangats views are on re-marriage?

Sorry, if this has been discussed before.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you choose your partner according to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji , then nothing can go wrong. I was listening to a Sant on suk sagar and he was saying that in Gurbani the Guru tells us somat like 5 main things to look into(or the parents should look into) before marrying someone.

im gna try n find out what it was n will get bck to u , maybe someone knows.

sometimes things never work out, iv seen a couple who divorced each other after having two kids who were like 15 yrs n 10yrs old, you would have thought they would learn to live together.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Things can go wrong, so re-marriage is ok in my point of view,

As long as they never got married in the Gurdwara intintially knowing they dont want to spend thier lives with this person who thier marrying.

N as the brother said above, if the parents follow the five steps that he/she is gonna tell us then there should be no problem in marriage

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Vaheguru...

sometimes it just doesn't work out... even though all options are tried.. it just can't work.. and especially for a lot of indian families where marriage has been ARRANGED in the sense that they have no choice in who they marry... so.. i think it is okay even IF the first time it was done at the gurdwara... and i think if one is to re-marry, in that sort of situation, it is okay to re-marry in a gurdwara.. .

there are cases (such as the one in my family) where one partner is tryin to pursue sikhi.. and the other is totally against it.. and after all means are tried, there is just no other choice.. .my parents are divorced... and rightfully so... my dad was completely against sangat and anything to do with sikhi.. he couldn't say nethin to us (the kids).. but he stopped my mom from going to sangat or samagamz... after a while things got worse... she couldn't take any more.. he treated her like crap.. divorce was the last step... we all told her it was okay if she remarried... but to find sum1 who will truly both make her happy, and help her on the path of sikhi... she hasn't done so as of yet.. but we view it completely acceptable if she does... and i will make sure IF she does... then it will be done at a gurdwara...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

re marriage is not a issue to be taken to this level, its allowed in our religion. and thereis no problem in having a remarriage in guruduwara, yes if everybody agrees go ahead...

regarding the divorce of the parents well It was a sad news but the reason was both of ur mom and dad was stubborn and wont able to compromise and this thing happened.... what path are u follwing... take my words nobody is ideal so get ready to compormise on both front...otherwise remarrying again and again is the only way out left...

sorry for my harsh words

Fateh

ok not my place to say Heera Singh's situation but i remember reading abt it b4 and that was totally needed, his mum could ONLY leave the dad, but veerji the way u posted it above it sounded like 'oh we dont get on lets split up' so perhaps thats why dreaman came out wid dat.

Anyways, there i would say definitely divorce but any other case like 'oh u know we always been fighting lets split', i dont agree with that, marriage is supposed to be a one big committment u make to another sikh andu supposed to do everything in ur power to make it work, not only for the kids but 4 yourself, there is no reason why 2 'not bad' ppl cannot make the marriage work if they are both committed,

re-marriage is a massive thing, u just stood in front of Guru Granth Sahib JI promising to live together but now ur like oh we aint gonna be happy togethet so u know what u go that way and il go that way.

i mean singhs did ardas and even if they knew they had no hope of surviving the battle- or so they might have think- but they still went ahead and fought cos once ardas is done ardas is done and there is no turning back if u got two proper sikhs.