Death For Death?

Guest SScom

VJKK VJKF

However you put it - life for a life? life for a death? death for death? death for life?

Following the Bradford, UK shootings very recently, where a police officer was shot dead during an armed robbery, there have been calls to bring back the death penalty for anyone who shoots a police officer.

What do you think? Is the death penalty a good idea? What does Gurmat teach us about this? Should life imprisonment MEAN life imprisonment, or is 20years long enough? Does the prospect of going to jail not deter criminals, rapists, murderers anymore?

The death penalty is the easy way out

136027[/snapback]

For an innocent GurMukh - yes it is - for a Sant Sipahee of the Panth who is dying for Dharam to become Shaheed - yes it is - a GurSikh who does not fear death, remember, does not die...

...but on the other hand, for a ManMukh who may be guilty, it is NOT the easy way out, as for them it REALLY IS death, and they will get questioned by Dharam Raj and be punished in a form of hell and then once again sent back into the cycle of birth and death!

The death penalty is in no way an easy way out for the guilty ManMukh, it is the beggining of a REAL punishment for the soul, not the mere body.

d_oh.gifVaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Phateh!!! d_oh.gif

I dont htink a Sikh can give a death for death policy in this case. Theres a fine line if you think about it. If we look to GUru nanak Dev Jee Mahraj and how he went to SUJJAN THUG house and changed him from a man off evil to a man of god.

It all depends on the situation but i think one should give the chance for the person to change. I agree with sony thats a valid fact who knows how many people are truely sentenced even though they are not guilty of anything.

I think if somebody is trying to kill another person, it is acceptable to kill that person if necessary to save the other person but if the person has already been killed its a different story. Now that we have prisons to insure that that the person wont come back and kill again, I think we dont need the death penalty. We need to let them live, and let them think about what they did.

Fateh

If you lock a murderer up for 20 years then keeping him/her locked up is going to require public funds. There is no point in locking up a person unless there is some sort of rehebilitation plan in place. Having said that, death penalty can work as a deterant and it should only be given in extreme cases and where there is no doubt about the person's guilt. i.e. Terrorist bombings.

Given the chance anyone can change, as Rsingh pointed out Bhumiya chor, sajjan thug, koda the cannibal etc, so its all very complecated wacko.gif

the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrant to crime. the USA which still uses the death penalty and has a staggering prison population of 2 million is a good example of that.

furthemore not everyone who is convicted of a crime is definately guilty i.e birmingham six..

and putting someone to death isn't going to bring the victim back so incarceration and rehabilitation is the key for serious offenders.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use