Vaat Am I Supposed To Say To This?

Guest _sinner_

Guest _sinner_

I am a young sikh who goes to school. I'm vegetarion, and i don't cut my hair. All the kids at school ask me "Why don't you cut ur hair?" I ask them "Why do you cut urs??" they just say,"Who doesn't." I say "Well, why should I, God made me this way and i shouldn't change my appearance. I will stay the way God made me." and then they say, "Why do you wear clothes, God made you born with know clothes so why do you change your appearance and wear clothes?" At this point i have no idea what to say. What should i say to this? Another thing is when they say "You don't cut ur hair beacuse god made you the way he wanted to be, so then why do you cut your nails?" Now what do i say?? And the last thing is when they ask me why i don't eat meat i say "Why should i kill another living thing just for good taste and health, plants are just as healthy". Then they say " Plants are also living things, so you kill them for health too." I'm soo dumb, i never know what to say. And everything they say makes sense, so i sometimes do think "What is the difference between eating plants and animals and whats the difference between cutting you hair and your nails?? Can somebody PLEASE help me and tell me what answer to these kind of question!!! pray.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Ill asnwer properly God willing tomorow

heres a link:

http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/hairnail.html

I hope that answers some q's for the time being (i gotta go to sleep now coz i got college ill answer properly tomorow)

And bro your not dumb these question comes to everybodies mind and its important that you do q urself these questions so you can progress in ur Sikhi so its a good thing.

WAHEGURU JI KI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Animals beg and cry before being killed. They try to run away. When was the last time your carrot begged for mercy and ran away from you? One requires you to forget mercy while the other doesn't have any lack of mercy. That's why they call people "butchers". It takes a butcher to eat and create meat. A butcher can never have the mercy of Vahiguru.

btw.. about the "y shoudl u wear clothes" arguement.

Civilised humans keep hair because it provides them with vitamin D. it gives us more energy (ever notice ur hairs sticking upwards wen u doo naam simran?.. ENERGY!!!)

Clothes are a civilised way to put us forward to society. Clothes are a mean of protection, eg: heat loss.

And to argue bak at them.. if they absolutely luv changing nature.. y not cut their lil finger, which they hardly use?! grin.gif

Nw, although u call urself dumb.. surprisingly enuf so is the rest of this forum. we all equally help eachova. u helped us, by showing us wot a difference manmukh sangat can make to ur thinking, compared to good sangat. dats y guru ji wanted us 2 stay in good sangat :lol:

I'm vegetarion, and i don't cut my hair. All the kids at school ask me "Why don't you cut ur hair?" I ask them "Why do you cut urs??" they just say,"Who doesn't." I say "Well, why should I, God made me this way and i shouldn't change my appearance. I will stay the way God made me." and then they say, "Why do you wear clothes, God made you born with know clothes so why do you change your appearance and wear clothes?" At this point i have no idea what to say. What should i say to this?

For starters brother i would like to differientate between the two.

By cutting hair you ARE actually changing the physical appearance of how God made you.

However by wearing clothes you are NOT changing the physical appearance of how God made you, you are just simply covering it to protect the body/keeping it warm. The physical appearance of how God made you will not change just like by wearing the Turban the Kes is still intact of how God made it but the difference is that people can't see it.

Think of it like the PC made by man (as the body) and if i put a dust cover on it (think of the dust cover as the Turban or clothes) - does it mean that im changing the PC to how it was originally (i.e. altering how God made you oroginally)?

No coz its stills the same apart from its got cover to protect it- coz when you take the cover off the Pc is still the same.

I hope that made sense.

You don't cut ur hair beacuse god made you the way he wanted to be, so then why do you cut your nails?" Now what do i say??

In Sikhi hair has significance!

Now i would like to tell about the differnce between the two:

Hair- told by the prophets is very important (out of interest the Muslim prophet Muhammed had long hair, Jesus Christ had long hair, the Hindu God Brahma (i think theres many more aswell had long hair) as well as our prophets had long hair showing the significance of hair).

Hair is all over the body whereas nails is only confined to some areas!

Nails keep on growing, however cutting the hair, the hair grows back to its specific length it was designed to be at.

Maybe our Guru Sahibs never told us to grow our nails because nails might not have much significance.

And if we left our nails to grow it would be impractical (have you saw that man on guniess book of records?- who had his nail in a bag)- that shows that growing nails is impractical since it would interupt the daily routine.

Whereas growing the Kesh is practical and it doesnt stop us doing our daily routine!

One thing i think is important to mention is that hair (all over the body) actually has loads of important functions- have you noticed when it get cold that your hair stands up or goes down (cant remember now lol- its either way) to cool you dont or to reduce heat loss?

-You might want to search more on that fact not too sure.

Whereas cutting nails doesnt actually affect the body in a bad way since it doesnt have an important function!!- Which is why the Guru Sahib's never forbid us from cutting our nails!!

I think the better way to think of why we grow our hair and not our nails is because God made the role of hair more important to us hence we grow it as he instructed us through the prophets that its imortant for us to grow it. And we cut our nails because God hasnt told us through the prophets that it has a special function or role in our bodies to maintain the nails.

Brother please read up about the link gave by myself and by Heera to you for more info about the differences about hair and nails.

And the last thing is when they ask me why i don't eat meat i say "Why should i kill another living thing just for good taste and health, plants are just as healthy". Then they say " Plants are also living things, so you kill them for health too." I'm soo dumb, i never know what to say.

Yes plants are living things, but they were designed to be consumed, there the producers, without eating one would die! One needs to get the energy from somewhere, from the right source which is plants, which were designed to be consumed for energy!

However i would like to add have you noticed that plants and animals are not put into the same group, they are split into two groups (plant and animals lol- im getting repetitive here)- showing that they are different.

Another point is that animals have simularities with humans and plants dont (apart from the seven characteristics of living, excreting etc)!- I.E the Chimpanzee is our cousin (not literally but it is actually biologically related to us! Its got 98% (sum figure like that) same as us. Now if we can consume the chimpanzee, then in thier view what would be the difference of consuming the Chimpanzee and other humans??

And looking at scientifically if you look at evolution (by the way Sikhi agrees about evolution in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and told us 3 centuries before Darwin even put this theory forward!) humans were designed to eat vegetarian food aswell, that was our ancestors (the sapians i think- might be ape not too sure) oroginal diet- seeds nuts etc which was over 4 million yrs ago! But then they started to consume meat AFTER! So before they started eating meat, they lived on vegetarian diet since they were designed too,

here are some suggestions of humans being designed to eat vegetation and not animals:

Meat eater is ment to have claws so that they can hunt- Why dont we, if we were designed to eat meat?

Meat eater has sharp pointed front teeth so that they can tear flesh- if were designed to eat meat why havent we got them?

A meat eater has 20 TIMES MORE STRONGER HYDROCHOLORIC ACID

than of a plant eater to digest strong, tough animal bones, why is our hydrochloric acid 20 times weaker then?

(here is a website about humans designed to eat plants and not animals:http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html)

If anything i said still doesnt make sense to you, please come back on this forum and ill try to think of other ways of explaining.

(Im sorry if this is too long and boring- i didnt know how to shorten this up.)

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Just yesterday, i was talking to this guy at work and he was fasinated at me being a "practising Sikh" as he called it. So he was asking me why i dont cut my hair and i gave him every logicaly reason. As we continued to talk he was like " Soo what happens when you cut your hair?" and soo i was like "Well since i am a baptised Sikh cutting my hair there is no option, i just will not under any circumstances cut my hair" and he was like well say that someone who was baptised did cut there hair, what would happen andi was like "well then you could say they would go to hell for breaking a promise to God." He was shocked at this answer and replied with " soo we should all go to hell for cutting our hair?"

Maybe saying that they would go to " hell" was not the smartest answer that i should have replied with but anyhow... my question is what is the SIkhi view on ppl who do cut their hair????

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji kif ateh!