Cartoon Protests

wajid2000

i agree with our muslim brothers that the cartoon sof their prophet is an insult to their beliefs. I just hope that when they get freedom in Kashmir, they remmeber that their sikh brothers protested with them over this and also protested with them in France over the ban on Mulsim head scarfs, etc.

They forgot about the sikhs during partition when sikhs stood shoulder to shoulder to get rid of the british. the hindus forgot about the sikhs after partition too. i just hope when kashmir is freed, we don't see the muslims clear kashmir of all sikhs like they tried to do in pakistan.

i'm all for brotherhood, but we can't always be used like a toy and discarded later. We give respect and demand respect. stop the pakistan lands of peshawar fro charging sikh families jaziya(tax on non-muslims), etc....if muslims demand respect, they must start showing it in their nations as well. How many muslim nations are there? a lot. how mnay are tolerant to non-muslims, not many. How mnay western nations have anti-muslim laws, one maybe, france, even that is debateable as there are millions of muslims living there......

treat others as you wish to be treated. for god sakes the country of iran thinks the holocaust never happened! how about we just forget that this cartoon thing never happened?! denying the holocaust is the most disgusting thing in the world in my opinion...I honestly hope muslims use this time to reflect and really think about things.......

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

buddhasingh

Can you point out where the anti-Muslim posts are?

Here is the point : no matter what was published, Muslims by rioting, killing, burning down embassies, making death threats, have exacerbated the problem. It is also deeply hypocritical to say, as many Muslims do, that we desire the freedom of speech to mock other religions and convert to Islam, but we don't want our feelings hurt.

You cannot simply blame it on the media.

152548[/snapback]

Ironically the above is an example of an anti-muslim comment because it is a stereotypical portrayal. Here is one definition of stereotypical...."conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image". It is also anti-muslim in failing to consider the magnitude of the insult to many muslims.

It is possible that someone could publish a similar insulting caricature of one of our Gurujis. Surely Sikhs would protest. I assure you that only the most violent protests would be played over and over again in media.

So many chest beating, bhangra dancing, beer drinking, violent wimps identifying themselves as "sikhs" would protest. Sexist, racist, cheaters, and theives who have little concept for any way of thinking outside of their own would protest. If other faith communities took the opportunity to bash Sikhs based on this aspect of their populace at a time when they have been gravely insulted, would you call it anti-sikh?

Ironically the above is an example of an anti-muslim comment because it is a stereotypical portrayal. Here is one definition of stereotypical...."conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image". It is also anti-muslim in failing to consider the magnitude of the insult to many muslims.

Nonsense. I have not portayed Muslims in any way. I have commented on the actions of Muslims. Commenting on the violence in which Christians have been killed, in which death threats have been made, and pointing out that this over reaction is detrimental to the cause of Islam and has lost the moral high ground for Muslims genuinely offended by them is not stereotyping. Nowhere do I impute general or collective responsibility for the actions of the few. In fact to suggest that a requirement for a discussion is to insert a sub clause and exception pointing out that not every Muslim feels this way leads to a complete blockage of discussion. You can take it for granted that I know all Muslims do not believe that people who disagree with them should be beheaded. But to try and neutralise discussion by invoking terms like 'anti-muslim' is the real desultory and formulaic and lazy invocation.

Furthermore, it is the very point that I am making which you mention - that in this day and age, there is no excuse for hot heads not to realise their violent protesting will cause damage and drown out the moderate voice of protest and offence. It is to them that appeals for calm and good sense need to be made.