Young Sikh "v" Older Generation Sikh

B Singh

Hello everybody.

I am a new to this forum and want to learn more about the differences between the way we act from point of view of an elder Sikh and a younger Sikh.

eg, I fell Younger Sikhs are more passionate about our religion.

Would you also say that differences exist to that of a Sikh in the UK to one from INDIA

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I would say one of the biggest differences is the older ones' reliance on tradition and ritual in comparison to many of the younger generation, especially those that have gone out and found sikhi by themselves.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I see Sikhi growing in todays youth and it shall follow to next generations!

Guru Ji is doing BEANT kirpa us.

On the other hand, where we had the problem of caste system of older generation, we now have the problem of jathas.. which is slowly disappearing though.

Khalsa Raaj is coming up.. I can feel it..

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I would say one of the biggest differences is the older ones' reliance on tradition and ritual in comparison to many of the younger generation, especially those that have gone out and found sikhi by themselves.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

161070[/snapback]

yeah i agree with this...for the older generation traditions& rituals still seem 2 b really important 2 them...it is sometimes difficult fir them 2 distinguish between religion and punjabi culture.. eg the caste systam as gupt_paapi says:

On the other hand, where we had the problem of caste system of older generation, we now have the problem of jathas.. which is slowly disappearing though.

Khalsa Raaj is coming up.. I can feel it..

161096[/snapback]

:wub: :nihungsmile:

You will realize when you get older...

The "elder sikhs" were also very strict about a few things during their younger years, but eventually all the pain you go through, you tend to care less about this sort of stuff.

Eventually if 2 of your 4 sons cut their hair infront of you, and laugh when you cry...you will no longer ask your other 2 sons to keep it, you will just pray silently that they do. You will no longer ask the others to keep a kirpan a certain way or to take care of their 5 K's....you will just hope they maintain the 5 K's in any possible way they can.

That's how it is...as you grow older and the more you see happen, and the more you see other people do...you tend to become easy-going because you cant even be affected by the pain anymore.

Do not think your elder Sikhs were always so "soft"

You will realize when you get older...

The "elder sikhs" were also very strict about a few things during their younger years, but eventually all the pain you go through, you tend to care less about this sort of stuff.

Eventually if 2 of your 4 sons cut their hair infront of you, and laugh when you cry...you will no longer ask your other 2 sons to keep it, you will just pray silently that they do. You will no longer ask the others to keep a kirpan a certain way or to take care of their 5 K's....you will just hope they maintain the 5 K's in any possible way they can.

That's how it is...as you grow older and the more you see happen, and the more you see other people do...you tend to become easy-going because you cant even be affected by the pain anymore.

Do not think your elder Sikhs were always so "soft"

161143[/snapback]

Good way of looking at it... We still have many experiences of life to go through!!

The younger generation is now a third generation. This has given them confidence to become Amarti which is now accepted by most people in society.

Compare this to a generation back, it may have been difficult to fit in. But at the same time it is because of the older sikh, the younger sikhs life has become easier as past battles have already been won.

Also Sikh population has grown along with groups at Gurdwaras, student societies etc.

All of this has excelled the younger sikh to go passionately as far as possible allowable in the religion.

Futhermore the younger may have learn from the mistakes from the elders eg, drinking etc.