Initiate Gurguddi Through Coconuts

raju123

Gur Fateh!

The above initial responses are warranted as too many times we see the word Hindu and Brahmin and have a knee <admin-profanity filter activated> reaction. From what I recall Brahmins also wear clothes, perhaps we should stop doing that since it is a Brahminism (whatever that maybe) legacy?

The coconut and paise can be explained by a tradition common amongst many Eastern cultures whereby to illustrate love, respect or honour towards someone presents are offerred in the form of precious items.

Money is commonly used today for instance when offerred to say, one's daughter or son-in-law, however in earlier times when currency perhaps wasn't so freely available, particularly amongst rural communities, this would be expressed through gifting rarer and scarce commodities such as dry fruit (dried dates, sultans, cardamoms et al) which we can witness as still being done during weddings or engagement when the son-in-law is given a platter full of these dry fruit.

In line with this, with Punjab located away from any coast, items such as a coconut (which grows among coastal areas) made dry coconut a rarity, hence qualifying for a gift as a token of love or respect.

This is exactly the same things as offering money or other valuables to Guru Sahib today - Guru Sahib doesn't need our wealth, it is simply a means of expression (and in many ways practical in running the Langar etc).

Many older folk or those from rural Punjab still bring milk, fresh fruit which is simply an extension of the same legacy from rural ladies offering Guru Sahib grain, milk, or other commodities at the time of various Paths being held in the village since offering in kind was easier than monetary means 50 or so years ago.

:lol: I was researching for my paper and in one book I found it mentions about Baba Budha ji putting the tilak on the next Guru and the giving of paise and a coconut. THe book says that the cocounut represents the earth and the hairs on the coconut also represents something on the earth but I forgot what that was exactly. If I find which book it was in I will post exact quote and source...so watch this space!

Oh my goodness, what a have I asked? ohmy.gifblush.gif

please be assured I did ask in all sincere ness humble request for advice and knowledge from people that have better understanding that me.

I thought were I was asking people I think that would help me, and not ridicule me,

SSm kurtas

have I some how deeply offended u in this question or have I insulted u in any way??

If I have then I deeply apologise, if not then I would say your comment are witty.

After these wonderful comments to my innocent questions I have to take the understanding that I should go to other sites first for information then come here for school yard conversations………

For the rest of u guys I do respect your comments and very grateful for them…

The assumption that I can make is in them days that’s the way things were done and end of story.

wacko.gif