Guru Granth Sahib Ji- Women's Writings

Akhoza

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

That I know of ,no there isnt. I bet women had inpacts on the man that wrote it but I dont think a female actually wrote passages, not that is not nessessarily sexist because some would say was there a female Guru.

Why do people think that we were sexist because of things like this?? Maybe women (not trying to diss them) should have written more!

Or with the Panj Pyaare, maybe they should've volunteered to be one! I don't see how you can argue that our Gurus were sexist when it was kind of the womens' choices, not the Gurus. Just always thought that was weird...

Why do people think that we were sexist because of things like this?? Maybe women (not trying to diss them) should have written more!

Or with the Panj Pyaare, maybe they should've volunteered to be one! I don't see how you can argue that our Gurus were sexist when it was kind of the womens' choices, not the Gurus. Just always thought that was weird...

and its usualy men who cry the most abt equality for women wacko.gif

Does the Guru Granth Sahib Ji contain writings of females since ive realised that many of the other world religions dont and i never heard of any Sikh one too??

Why is that???

Not really sure. It may have had something to do with the authoritative role - or lack thereof - that women posessed in society at the time. It's no real biggie if you think about. It's tough to lead a sangat of any kind if their leader is not fully respected by its followers due to socio-cultural prejudices that may exist within that sangat. If anything, it was smart to not have women be in overly authoritative positions at the time due to how many people (by "people", I mean "men" grin.gif ) may have felt threatened by or not respected a female leader or Guru.

But Guru Nanak's sister is held up in reverence in terms of her faith in her brother's wisdom when even his father had branded him rebellious and financially useless. And Mai Bhagö's incredible act of chivalry will be remembered as the ultimate cultural turning point in all of sub-continental, and perhaps even world history, as the day women took up their husbands' martial clothes and went to battle alongside Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

In a time when widows were burned on the flames of their husbands' funeral pyres and were considered little more than the property of men - like farm animals or...a table - Guru Nanak raised his hand in defiance and completely reversed the image that women had within that society.

"Of woman are we born, of woman conceived, to woman engaged, to woman married.

Woman we befriend, by woman is the civilisation continued.

When woman dies, woman is sought for.

It is by woman that order is maintained.

Then why call her evil from whom great men are born?

From woman is woman born, and without woman none would exist.

The eternal Lord is the only one, O Nanak, who depends not on woman."

Guru Granth Sahib

Asa, p. 473

Men have always been fearful of women. Their intellect, their charm, their general capacity. And so, through the rungs of patricarchal society, men have quashed and stifled these amazing and brilliant and beautiful women due to their own insecureties and fear of inferiority or subordination. Whilst there may be no female writings in the Granth Sahib - as this would probably be a step too far in those days - their honour is given its due. I am sure that, had society been more accepting of women's leadership, Guru Nanak would have appointed a woman to be his successor.

Why do people think that we were sexist because of things like this??

I don't see where this point was ever raised. The question of 'why are there no writings by women?' was raised in a respectful manner.

Maybe women (not trying to diss them) should have written more!

In a patricarchal, oppressive society where women were worth the same as the phatti you sit on, there is little such opportunity, unfortunately. Guru Nanak helped to change that.

Society has a way of imposing its stereotypes on the psyche of the oppressed as well as the oppressors. Women perhaps felt as though this "wasn't their place" or perhaps "did not want to show up their husbands/other men who weren't brave enough to volunteer".

You must remember that the world of the Gurus was completely different from what it is today. One should take this into account whenever viewing any of the events from Sikkhi's past.

Wow, it looks like a long post with all the sub-quotes...

Why do people think that we were sexist because of things like this??

I don't see where this point was ever raised. The question of 'why are there no writings by women?' was raised in a respectful manner.

I never said that he was being disrespectful, if you read the entire post, which I hoped was adhesive enough (guess not):

Just always thought that was weird...

I meant that I had heard arguments like that; nobody here was saying anything about sexism, but it's related to the topic; it was actually a new fresh thing that I brought up.

Maybe women (not trying to diss them) should have written more!

In a patricarchal, oppressive society where women were worth the same as the phatti you sit on, there is little such opportunity, unfortunately. Guru Nanak helped to change that.

Ummm, yeah, Guru Nanak helped change that; that's why they should have felt they could have, in front of him at least. Really, I get that at Guru Nanak Dev Ji's time maybe there was still a lot of influence by the new converts, but by Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time, they really could've stepped up, if they were in a Sikh family at least.

Society has a way of imposing its stereotypes on the psyche of the oppressed as well as the oppressors. Women perhaps felt as though this "wasn't their place" or perhaps "did not want to show up their husbands/other men who weren't brave enough to volunteer".

But, like I said, by that time (Vaisakhi) they should have gotten over that influence; I mean, how is that equality, then, if they felt they couldn't do that???

You must remember that the world of the Gurus was completely different from what it is today. One should take this into account whenever viewing any of the events from Sikkhi's past.

Like the main point I keep bringing up; if the Gurus had any effect, by the 10th Guru, we should've gotten over the inequality between men and women. If they couldn't do it when we had the Gurus here, do you think we can make such an impact ourselves? (NOT trying to say SGGS is not our guru and can't help us, but you have to admit a living, walking guru would have more of an impact.)

oh i read this topic very late.

there is no writings by any women

u wull be surprised that my neighbour and my very good friend BIBI KAMALJEET KAUR is writting MAHARAJ'S SWAROOP with her hands.

i was trying making a topic on her but it will took time coz i have to make it best.

now u have startted this then i shud show u the snaps i took while she was writting some day.

only she needs ur ardas coz she is remains unwell and weak with survical problem.

her wriiting is so clear neat and awesome, more better than a printing machine.

plz view all the pics in enlarge mode, then u will realize the truth.

here are the pics watch

post-3896-1151324225.jpg

post-3896-1151323953.jpg

post-3896-1151324105.jpg