Caste/ Chamaar

Guest Guest

yeh it is but i think the point tryin to be made was that some misguided ppl take it and warp the truth making it their own truth....

This IS the situation right now. Rightly or wrongly (I'm leaving my own judgement out of it).

A large group of people associate themselves with Sikhism AND Sikh history. A universal symbol representing this link is the Khanda, which itself only emerged around the 1930s before which Sikhs had different symbols on their flags.

So the question(s) we should be asking is why and who created a new insignia to represent Sikhs. Plus why was this symbol adopted so universally by Sikhs in such a short time?

Any suggestions?

Don't be surprise if Khanda symbol changes in the future. I believe taking out swords and replacing it with guns is going to be future Khanda symbol.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. How is the Khanda a Jatt thing? don't have a stress people am not gettin 'haumified' about bein Jatt - just neva heard about this until now?? grin.gif

How...

Jazzy B == Jatt.. he sports a khanda..and todays generation believe in what they see ... so Jazzy B represents Sikh Pride/Jatt Pride/Khanda Pride.

No!! A Khanda is Sikh pride thing. All Sikhs use it as their symbol not just Jats. This post was really silly. Most of the younguns in my family wear gold Khanda necklaces.

Are you a Jatt?

loll i'll bet u £5.77 that u won't get a answer without bein lectured lol no offence!!! :umm:

No one please ask me about caste/tribe/clan affiliation please. It emabarasses me because I start thinking I'm talking like a Hindu and there is no difference between us. Plus all the stuff I tell other communities (who ask) about Sikhism striving for equality and castelessness becomes nothing but hypocritical drivel then! Lol

I can't change others opinions but for myself a Sikh is a Sikh, and a key aspect of this I've always believed in was seeing others as equal brothers.

No one please ask me about caste/tribe/clan affiliation please. It emabarasses me because I start thinking I'm talking like a Hindu and there is no difference between us. Plus all the stuff I tell other communities (who ask) about Sikhism striving for equality and castelessness becomes nothing but hypocritical drivel then! Lol

I can't change others opinions but for myself a Sikh is a Sikh, and a key aspect of this I've always believed in was seeing others as equal brothers.

well said...we are all one, hum sabh ek hain! lol as Bhagat Singh put it....the more we dont confron tese issues the more sikhi is gonna suffer - its mostly the older generations, even non-religious sikhs youths dont bother nemore...i mean caste is ur job effectively - if ur in UK, cant chip wood to save ur life - are u a tarkaan? visa vera....it dont mean nothing no more, and it aint nothing to b proud of

I don't get it. How is the Khanda a Jatt thing? don't have a stress people am not gettin 'haumified' about bein Jatt - just neva heard about this until now?? grin.gif

How...

Jazzy B == Jatt.. he sports a khanda..and todays generation believe in what they see ... so Jazzy B represents Sikh Pride/Jatt Pride/Khanda Pride.

No!! A Khanda is Sikh pride thing. All Sikhs use it as their symbol not just Jats. This post was really silly. Most of the younguns in my family wear gold Khanda necklaces.

Are you a Jatt?

loll i'll bet u £5.77 that u won't get a answer without bein lectured lol no offence!!! :umm:

You're right. :umm:

Anyway, Jatt isn't a caste! I just wish people here don't tie Jatt with the caste system.

"The Jat's spirit of freedom and equality refused to submit to Brahmanical Hinduism and in its turn drew the censure of the privileged Brahmins of the Gangetic plains who pronounced that "no Aryan should stay in the Punjab for even two days" because the Punjabis refused to obey the priests. The upper caste Hindu's denigration of the Jat did not in the least lower the Jat in his own eyes nor elevates the Brahmin or the Kshatriya in the Jat's estimation. On the contrary, he assumed a somewhat condescending attitude towards the Brahmin, whom he considered little better than a soothsayer or a beggar, or the Kshatriya, who disdained earning an honest living and was proud of being a mercenary. The Jat was born the worker and the warrior. He tilled his land with his sword girded round his waist. He fought more battles for the defence of his homestead than the Kshatriya, for unlike the martial Kshatriya the Jat seldom feld from his village when the invaders came. And if the Jat was maltreated or if his women were molested by the conqueror on his way to Hindustan, he settled his score by looting the invaders' caravans on their return journey and freeing the women he was taking back. The Punjabi Jat developed an attitude of indifference to worldly possessions and an instinct for gambling with his life against the odds. At the same time he became conscious of his role in the defence of Hindustan. His band of patriotism was at once hostile towards the foreigner and benign, even contemptuous, towards his own countrymen whose fate depended so much on his courage and fortitude."

Source: Khuswant Singh's History of the Sikhs, Volume 1, page 15.

How...

Are you a Jatt?

Anyway, Jatt isn't a caste! I just wish people here don't tie Jatt with the caste system.

Definition of Jat:

Main Entry: Jat

Pronunciation: 'jät

Function: noun

Etymology: Hindi & Urdu JAt

: a member of an Indo-Aryan people of the Punjab and Uttar Pradesh

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=Jat

I just SO knew you were going to go there!!! LOL

Hut ja Punjabiaya!

Ekta hona chaida! Eh jaat paat deean gallan kisay de kum de nahin aj kal! lol

well said...we are all one, hum sabh ek hain! lol as Bhagat Singh put it....the more we dont confron tese issues the more sikhi is gonna suffer - its mostly the older generations, even non-religious sikhs youths dont bother nemore...i mean caste is ur job effectively - if ur in UK, cant chip wood to save ur life - are u a tarkaan? visa vera....it dont mean nothing no more, and it aint nothing to b proud of

You'll be surprised, some younguns are even more obsessed with this stuff then their bapus! lol

How...

Are you a Jatt?

"The Jat's spirit of freedom and equality refused to submit to Brahmanical Hinduism and in its turn drew the censure of the privileged Brahmins of the Gangetic plains who pronounced that "no Aryan should stay in the Punjab for even two days" because the Punjabis refused to obey the priests. The upper caste Hindu's denigration of the Jat did not in the least lower the Jat in his own eyes nor elevates the Brahmin or the Kshatriya in the Jat's estimation. On the contrary, he assumed a somewhat condescending attitude towards the Brahmin, whom he considered little better than a soothsayer or a beggar, or the Kshatriya, who disdained earning an honest living and was proud of being a mercenary. The Jat was born the worker and the warrior. He tilled his land with his sword girded round his waist. He fought more battles for the defence of his homestead than the Kshatriya, for unlike the martial Kshatriya the Jat seldom feld from his village when the invaders came. And if the Jat was maltreated or if his women were molested by the conqueror on his way to Hindustan, he settled his score by looting the invaders' caravans on their return journey and freeing the women he was taking back. The Punjabi Jat developed an attitude of indifference to worldly possessions and an instinct for gambling with his life against the odds. At the same time he became conscious of his role in the defence of Hindustan. His band of patriotism was at once hostile towards the foreigner and benign, even contemptuous, towards his own countrymen whose fate depended so much on his courage and fortitude."

Watch out for Khushwant Singh, he is about as Congressi as they get. Supported KPS Gill big time.

Whoa! There is nothing wrong about taking pride of your heritage as long you're not looking down on others.

How...

Are you a Jatt?

Watch out for Khushwant Singh, he is about as Congressi as they get. Supported KPS Gill big time.

True, but Khushwant doesn't come from a Jatt background though. So his quote isn't bias here.