Hindi Speaking Sikhs In Punjab

Duchess

let me tell u a short story, I moved from my village and I was little when we moved to jalandhar. As I grew up i knew what the hindus are about, our hindu neigbhor took pictures with beanta chief minister and at our school they forced us to say the national anthem of india, one time this singh in 11th grade who was older then me during that time said we should say the sikh national anthem not the indian. He was beaten too much and the teachers are even stupid, they recite the anthem by stopin their breathing like india is everything. We had alot of khalistanis at our school and it was nice, many modern people who live in city change as they move. This is the story of our hindi teacher name mrs.bhatiya, new classes started in 6th grade and we were all excited and hindi period came, she started talkin in hindi different from other teachers. I was sitin with my friends and it was the first day of school and it was hindi class. we started to talk about our 5th grade and we started to remember events and she came to our small group and said "beta hindi bolo", and my friend replied why, she said this the main language of india, then he said this is punjab, she said this is in india also so speak hindi at school and punjabi at home, then I replied we will speak hindi when you start the class let us talk in punjabi now. she said no, if you going to speak in punjabi then you can leave my classsroom, and I was like thats even better then we were 4 students and we went outside. There was a gurudwara right near the school like right next to it, and we decided we will stay there until the bell rings then the hindi teacher called a supertendant who punishes students, his name was gurmukh singh,(his brother was a khadkoo in KLF). She told him we didn't listen to her and back talk at her and went outside, then gurmukh sir came at the gurudwara and we were eating langar , he said next to us and starting eating. we all finished and he said lets goto class now, as we were goin he asked why we left. We toild him the teacher asked us to speak hindi even when we talkin to each other and if we cant speak hindi then we would have to leave. He was one of the coolest teacher at our school then he was fired becasue they found out his brother was in khalistan liberation force. Nothing happened to us and we didn't speak hindi at her class or at school.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Is it just me who thinks punjabi is a cool language, plus you get loads of young people using it, mind you that seems to be slang and swear words :D

PUNJABI is cool, it's just the dips that dont see that...thas why we call em dips...they're too much into bollywood so not surprised

Punjabis are getting so weak in punjab. You go to the south and people need translators in parliament because they don't speak hindi and only understand telegu, or gujrati, etc. Punjabis are nothing now. Just a bunch of posers living off the legacy of their ancestors. india has given Punjabis, sikhs in general, such an inferiority complex that they deny thier mother tongue, deny their gurus, deny their roots.

punjabi people always rip on gujratis or Gujus. Well let me tell you, most of these gujus love teir mother tongue gujrati and never speak hindi. same goes with tamils. heck, the hindus of punjab loved their "mother tongue",hindi so much, they created Haryana out of that love. All the people punjabis and sikhs used to mock as weak are now our source of admiration because they love their culture, their language.

Our people died to make a punjabi speaking state, our guru sacrificed for the panth, sikhs sacrificed for the panth, but punjab has disowned everything.

Personally, i' glad to live in the west. The hindi, hindu, hindustan propaganda has not touched us here, in guru ghars we have sunday school with punjabi classes. In america we have punjabi cultural orgs which proote punjab, punjabi, punjabiat. we have sikhi here.

punjab is not punjab anymore, it is a colony of India. we are experiencing the slow assimilation of our people into the indian mainstream. Say goodbye.

let me tell u a short story, I moved from my village and I was little when we moved to jalandhar. As I grew up i knew what the hindus are about, our hindu neigbhor took pictures with beanta chief minister and at our school they forced us to say the national anthem of india, one time this singh in 11th grade who was older then me during that time said we should say the sikh national anthem not the indian. He was beaten too much and the teachers are even stupid, they recite the anthem by stopin their breathing like india is everything. We had alot of khalistanis at our school and it was nice, many modern people who live in city change as they move. This is the story of our hindi teacher name mrs.bhatiya, new classes started in 6th grade and we were all excited and hindi period came, she started talkin in hindi different from other teachers. I was sitin with my friends and it was the first day of school and it was hindi class. we started to talk about our 5th grade and we started to remember events and she came to our small group and said "beta hindi bolo", and my friend replied why, she said this the main language of india, then he said this is punjab, she said this is in india also so speak hindi at school and punjabi at home, then I replied we will speak hindi when you start the class let us talk in punjabi now. she said no, if you going to speak in punjabi then you can leave my classsroom, and I was like thats even better then we were 4 students and we went outside. There was a gurudwara right near the school like right next to it, and we decided we will stay there until the bell rings then the hindi teacher called a supertendant who punishes students, his name was gurmukh singh,(his brother was a khadkoo in KLF). She told him we didn't listen to her and back talk at her and went outside, then gurmukh sir came at the gurudwara and we were eating langar , he said next to us and starting eating. we all finished and he said lets goto class now, as we were goin he asked why we left. We toild him the teacher asked us to speak hindi even when we talkin to each other and if we cant speak hindi then we would have to leave. He was one of the coolest teacher at our school then he was fired becasue they found out his brother was in khalistan liberation force. Nothing happened to us and we didn't speak hindi at her class or at school.

omg haha u seriously duno how much fun i had readin ur lil story ji......very interesting!!! :TH: blush.gif and yeah it's true i geh so pi$$ed off wen sikh people tok in hindi!!!.....we should be speakin punjabi shouldn't we? i always speak punjabi at home and wit relatives man.....yet in india....i always used to geh better marks in hindi than in punjabi :D wonder why grin.gif:@ buh still....punjabi's an awesome language :TH:

I do encourage the speaking of Punjabi in Punjab, but I would never tell someone not to speak in Hindi. Hindi and English have equal Parliamentary status in India, that is why speaking those languages is encouraged, so that people of one state can communicate with those of other states. What reason is there to be pi$$ed at Punjabi Sikhs speaking Hindi? Could it be that we have come to associate Hindi and Hinduism with each other because of their similar spelling and root? I do understand that the Indian government seeks to have Punjabis accept Hindi as their mother tongue and the fact that that is indeed a bad thing, but to completely boycott the language is a foolish sort of protest. To be very straightforward and contrary to the beliefs of many people here, I do not believe in the concept of a "mother tongue". "Mother tongues" are aspects of culture that I think are causing useless fights and conflicts. To me it is like this: You learn a language, communicate in it, and that's it. But don't stop there! Learn as many languages as possible. It is not necessary to start out speaking in the language your parents spoke, and that your ancestors have past down. My parents and their parents, and generations before, spoke both Hindi, Punjabi, and English, all in equal frequencies. My parents started me out with learning the basics of English and Punjabi, and then it was up to me to decide what I wanted to speak. I chose to educate myself in English and Punjabi, as my parents desired. However, I also taught myself to speak Hindi just in case.

but you forgot to goto gujrat or mumbai, I have never seen a person speaking punjabi in schools or public places in those states then why should we allow hindi to be spoken as the main language.

I did go to those states, and did witness what you did. You have to realize that due to the lack of cultural unity amongst Indian states, every state has its own language. Hindi became very popular, as it was a language that linked the various citizens of India. The language, at some point, became so immensely popular that it served as the language of inter-state and international business in areas like Mumbai, Calcutta, Hyderabad, Bangalore, etc. Thus, the official languages of the states in which those cities are, became Hindi. To sum up, every state has its own language, but some states share their official language with that of the entire nation. So, it would be wrong to be thinking like "I have never seen a person speaking punjabi in schools or public places in those states then why should we allow hindi to be spoken as the main language." because it is not necessary for them to speak Punjabi as speaking it would serve them no purpose. They speak Hindi for two reasons, which coincide: it is one of their state languages as well as one of their national languages. In a similar manner, residents of Punjab should speak their state language (Punjabi) AND their national language (Hindi and English). Why do you say:

why should we allow hindi to be spoken as the main language.
? Hindi is NOT the main language of Punjab, although efforts are being made by certain individuals to make it so. For one to speak Hindi in Punjab is not a bad thing, but for a government to change the official language in Punjab entirely is a debate on a whole other level.

Lastly, I do not feel one should have pride in his/her language. Speaking one language over another may have certain benefits, but many disadvantages as well. Languages are something we humans have created as a means of communication, but some prefer languages we do not, so we should leave it at that and give up saying "punjabi pride" and things of the sort. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Punjabi language. I do not, however, attach it to myself and call it mine, leaving all other options behind. I also am in no way defending the corruption of the Indian government, but am saying that Hindi, despite its immense popularity and exclusive legal status, is a language nonetheless.