Women Only Jihad

proactive

Did anyone catch the Dispatches documentary 'Women only jihad' last night on Channel 4. There is a trailer for the programme here

It has got to be one of the funniest programmes I've seen. It was about a bunch of young Muslim women who are trying to force mosques to allow women to worship in them! This must have come as a big surprise to many people that women are not allowed in a mosque. Where they are allowed, the usually have to sit right at the back or in a separate room and not in the main prayer room. These women belong to an organisation called Muslim Public Affairs Committe UK or MPACUK for short. I noticed two of them were on TV news a few weeks ago when the veil debate was going on. One of them rather than answer any questions from the presenter on the news kept on saying 'Jack Straw (MP) should NOT be allowed to talk on issues such as the veil' what a joke. He's a MP of course he as well as any other person has a right t give an opinion on the veil. Anyway on of the funniest scenes was when they went to a Mosque and tried to pray. They were physically stopped from entering the mosque. One of the mosque committee started to push the cameraman around. It looked like it was going to get rough and the women beat a hasty retreat. The mosque members then promised through the lancashire council of mosques to allow the women to pray 'in' the mosque the week after. When the women turned up they were shown to a house across the road from the mosque which was dilapitated and dirty! Another clip showed them turn up at a Mosque in Blackburn where they and the men with them were shoved around. One of the mosque members was swearing his head off telling the camera and women to F off.

The programme tried to be positive about Islam in the UK but in my view failed miserably. They tried to how the 'progress' made by Muslim women because there is ONE Muslim women who has studied to become an Imam BUT she can't work as an Imam because part of the duties would involve leading men in prayer which is forbidden in Islam! Another thing the programme showed were Muslim women who had been battered by their husbands. The programme didn't delve any deeperand the words of the women who runs the homeless shelter for these women was telling. She said the women only left their husbands when the men started to beat their children. As Islam allows the beating of wives by husbands then these women saw nothing wrong in being battered wives but only took action when their children were being beaten.

Having watched the documentary it just made me think how the rights given by Sikhi are taken for granted. Can you imagine if women weren't allowed in the Gurdwaras?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saw nothing wrong in being battered wives but only took action when their children were being beaten.

Having watched the documentary it just made me think how the rights given by Sikhi are taken for granted. Can you imagine if women weren't allowed in the Gurdwaras?

Sometims i think this should be put into practice. Same goes with men.

Did anyone catch the Dispatches documentary 'Women only jihad' last night on Channel 4. There is a trailer for the programme here

It has got to be one of the funniest programmes I've seen. It was about a bunch of young Muslim women who are trying to force mosques to allow women to worship in them! This must have come as a big surprise to many people that women are not allowed in a mosque. Where they are allowed, the usually have to sit right at the back or in a separate room and not in the main prayer room. These women belong to an organisation called Muslim Public Affairs Committe UK or MPACUK for short. I noticed two of them were on TV news a few weeks ago when the veil debate was going on. One of them rather than answer any questions from the presenter on the news kept on saying 'Jack Straw (MP) should NOT be allowed to talk on issues such as the veil' what a joke. He's a MP of course he as well as any other person has a right t give an opinion on the veil. Anyway on of the funniest scenes was when they went to a Mosque and tried to pray. They were physically stopped from entering the mosque. One of the mosque committee started to push the cameraman around. It looked like it was going to get rough and the women beat a hasty retreat. The mosque members then promised through the lancashire council of mosques to allow the women to pray 'in' the mosque the week after. When the women turned up they were shown to a house across the road from the mosque which was dilapitated and dirty! Another clip showed them turn up at a Mosque in Blackburn where they and the men with them were shoved around. One of the mosque members was swearing his head off telling the camera and women to F off.

The programme tried to be positive about Islam in the UK but in my view failed miserably. They tried to how the 'progress' made by Muslim women because there is ONE Muslim women who has studied to become an Imam BUT she can't work as an Imam because part of the duties would involve leading men in prayer which is forbidden in Islam! Another thing the programme showed were Muslim women who had been battered by their husbands. The programme didn't delve any deeperand the words of the women who runs the homeless shelter for these women was telling. She said the women only left their husbands when the men started to beat their children. As Islam allows the beating of wives by husbands then these women saw nothing wrong in being battered wives but only took action when their children were being beaten.

I thought the programme showed great spirit of the women fighting for their cause. To see anyone fight for a cause that is just is inspiring to watch and alot can be learnt from it.

The Muslim women in the programme were challenging and trying to change things. May Waheguru bless them with Fateh!!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

The women in the video seem to be locked in islam. If they were shown Sikhi without all their stereotypes then I bet they actually would see why Sikhi was placed onto the Earth. Muslims bicker and fight the most out of all the religious negativity I have seen. I thought Jews like to argue alot but muslims top it by far.

It would be cool to invite all those women to the Gurdwara to worship in their way aslong as it is a respectful manner then I couldnt see why not, I know all the muslim men would be <Edited> but thats what happens when you give rights to people that muslims dont want to have equal rights. They most likely would be completely biased about Sikhi but imagine the energy they could put into the worship rather than the struggle to worship.

i can't say the women did anything that great. They just seemed to just be rebelling at one thing, women not being allowed to pray in the mosque. The ironic thing that wasn't mentioned in the programme was that these women are also supporters of Sharia law and under that very law women do not have the same rights in inheritance, testimony etc. As the narrator said they would not be able to carry out a campaign like this in a Muslim country.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

i can't say the women did anything that great. They just seemed to just be rebelling at one thing, women not being allowed to pray in the mosque. The ironic thing that wasn't mentioned in the programme was that these women are also supporters of Sharia law and under that very law women do not have the same rights in inheritance, testimony etc. As the narrator said they would not be able to carry out a campaign like this in a Muslim country.

Then they are blindly contradicting themselves grin.gif :D