Guru Granth Sahib

`KuMi´

If we lay guruji to sleep, wake up, put ac's, wrap in blankets why don't we give guruji a bath in the morning? Doesn't a body need a shower?

we dont lay guruji to sleep, thats a misconception, its a play of words really. humans sleep, humans get dirty so they need a wash. its hard for me to explain. we want naam, which is hidden inside gurbani which is pargat onto the saroop of guru granth sahib. i'm sorry i can't explain this. all i can say is bhaji, do ardaas and guruji will show you why we do things a certain way when it comes to the pavan saroop of guru granth sahib

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we lay guruji to sleep, wake up, put ac's, wrap in blankets why don't we give guruji a bath in the morning? Doesn't a body need a shower?

we dont lay guruji to sleep, thats a misconception, its a play of words really. humans sleep, humans get dirty so they need a wash. its hard for me to explain. we want naam, which is hidden inside gurbani which is pargat onto the saroop of guru granth sahib. i'm sorry i can't explain this. all i can say is bhaji, do ardaas and guruji will show you why we do things a certain way when it comes to the pavan saroop of guru granth sahib

Papi ji, Please explain it in a little bit more detail...may be by giving examples. Please explain the significance of blanket and A/C ect.

Guest s133k_s1kh

I personally don't approve the idea of blankets and acs for Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

My understanding of Sukhasan:

Sukhasan is done so that we can do the parkash the following morning (amrit vela). If sukhasan is not done, doing parkash of SGGS holds no significance. the concept of getting up at amrit vela and doing naam simran and nitnem will hold no credibilty.

Doing sukhasan gives a sense of responsiblity towards our Guru.

my own experience:

I stay with my chacha ji. they went to india for 7 weeks and we have SGGS at home. I used to get up according to my daily schedule. once they were gone SGGS made me wake up on time for doing parkash seva. I usually woke up between 5 to 6 am( i know that is late too) and did the parkash and i sometimes did the parkash after 6 ( sorry about that). The point i am trying to get across is that if i wasn't doing sukhasan i wouldn't have bothered about the parkash. everthing would have been messed up :lol: @ .

and during this time i quit eating non-veg food and till this date i have no explanation to why i quit non-veg. it just happened. SABB GURU DI KIRPA d_oh.gif

This a lil story i found on sikhnet by Chober Singh Sandhu. It has got nothing to do with Sukhasan but its all about respect. Somethings need to be followed as they are and we shoudln't bother our braincells to come up with overzealous thoughts.

Let me give you story I heard in the army. That some people complained that the British Officers gave more respect to Sikh religion than to others. The matter was raised in the unit Darbar. It was duly reported to the Station Commander, another British Officer. After some thought the Station Commander ordered a combined station Darbar and asked a religious preacher to be present with their religious scripture to present their case. On the due date and time the troops were assembled. After all the officers took their seat they asked the hindu priest to come in. Panditji walked in with the gita in his hand. Then they asked the moslem preacher to come. The Maulvi walked in with the qoran. Then they asked the sikh priest to appear. In walked the sikh priest with the SGGS on his head. Preceeding him was a man spronkling water on the ground, followed by e fwe other sikhs. They were chanting Satnam waheguru. Seeing them the sikhs stood up, seeing them the other troops stood up, seeing this the officers stood up. Some sikhs made a place for the SGGS to be placed. Another sikh stood and took the chaur. After this the Station Cammander stood up and addressed the troops that the matter needed no further discussion. As seen here the sikhs respect their guru and scripture and so do we. You treat your scripture like a book and hence we treat it the same.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Let me give you story I heard in the army. That some people complained that the British Officers gave more respect to Sikh religion than to others. The matter was raised in the unit Darbar. It was duly reported to the Station Commander, another British Officer. After some thought the Station Commander ordered a combined station Darbar and asked a religious preacher to be present with their religious scripture to present their case. On the due date and time the troops were assembled. After all the officers took their seat they asked the hindu priest to come in. Panditji walked in with the gita in his hand. Then they asked the moslem preacher to come. The Maulvi walked in with the qoran. Then they asked the sikh priest to appear. In walked the sikh priest with the SGGS on his head. Preceeding him was a man spronkling water on the ground, followed by e fwe other sikhs. They were chanting Satnam waheguru. Seeing them the sikhs stood up, seeing them the other troops stood up, seeing this the officers stood up. Some sikhs made a place for the SGGS to be placed. Another sikh stood and took the chaur. After this the Station Cammander stood up and addressed the troops that the matter needed no further discussion. As seen here the sikhs respect their guru and scripture and so do we. You treat your scripture like a book and hence we treat it the same.

RESPECT, a simple word init buh holds a lot of significance

To answer kumi's question:

Guru sahib is our teacher... he shows us how to live a gursikhi jeevan...

once we have understand guru sahib bani and apply it to our daily lives you can consider yourself pure

not by just readin gurbani and not understanding a single word you have read but read and understand every single salok. That is when you get the anand of guru sahib and his bani

It is his shabad which is guru papi forgot to right the very important second line:

Jo Prabh ko Milbo Chahai, Khoj Shabad Main Leh

And papi jee guru granth does not get hot or cold

it does not need think blankets, heaters, air conditioners, or fans

IT NEEDS TO BE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guru sahib does not need anything but only love

like i said, i cant explain it. the only thing i can write is that we respect guru sahib the only way we know how, the human way. doesnt mean we only show respect to the saroop we definately need to understand the message and thats the only true respect.

its not a matter of guruji getting hold or cold. all its saying is that i treat guru granth sahib like i would treat my guru if they were in human form. as if they talked, and lauged with me....

Guest SatwantBeantKehar

Today's hukamnama from Darbar Sahib:

DHANAASAREE, FIRST MEHL, CHHANT:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

Why should I bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage? The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage. My sacred shrine of pilgrimage is spiritual wisdom within, and contemplation on the Word of the Shabad. The spiritual wisdom given by the Guru is the True sacred shrine of pilgrimage, where the ten festivals are always observed. I constantly beg for the Name of the Lord; grant it to me, O God, Sustainer of the world. The world is sick, and the Naam is the medicine to cure it; without the True Lord, filth sticks to it. The Gurus Word is immaculate and pure; it radiates a steady Light. Constantly bathe in such a true shrine of pilgrimage. || 1 || Filth does not stick to the true ones; what filth do they have to wash off? If one strings a garland of virtues for oneself, what is there to cry for? One who conquers his own self through contemplation is saved, and saves others as well; he does not come to be born again. The supreme meditator is Himself the philosophers stone, which transforms lead into gold. The true man is pleasing to the True Lord. He is in ecstasy, truly happy, night and day; his sorrows and sins are taken away. He finds the True Name, and beholds the Guru; with the True Name in his mind, no filth sticks to him. || 2 || O friend, association with the Holy is the perfect cleansing bath. The singer who sings the Lords Praises is adorned with the Word of the Shabad. Worship the True Lord, and believe in the True Guru; this brings the merit of making donations to charity, kindness and compassion. The soul-bride who loves to be with her Husband Lord bathes at the Triveni, the sacred place where the Ganges, Jamuna and Saraswaati Rivers converge, the Truest of the True. Worship and adore the One Creator, the True Lord, who constantly gives, whose gifts continually increase. Salvation is attained by associating with the Society of the Saints, O friend; granting His Grace, God unites us in His Union. || 3 || Everyone speaks and talks; how great should I say He is? I am foolish, lowly and ignorant; it is only through the Gurus Teachings that I understand. True are the Teachings of the Guru. His Words are Ambrosial Nectar; my mind is pleased and appeased by them. Loaded down with corruption and sin, people depart, and then come back again; the True Shabad is found through my Guru. There is no end to the treasure of devotion; the Lord is pervading everywhere. Nanak utters this true prayer; one who purifies his mind is True. || 4 || 1 ||