NANAKSAAR 2DAY

S1ngh

During the years of Sikh struggle in Punjab and rest of India in the eighties and nineties, I havent come across a single instance of contribution by any of the numerous Nanksars' spread throughout India.

Veerji,

I don't know about India but in the UK and Canada, Nanaksar along with AKJ, RaraSahib, Damdami Taksal have been responsible for bringing a lot of people back into Sikhi.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

Contributions of Nanaksar to bring so many people into Sikhism are to be respected.

For that: ^_^^_^^_^

I cannot say anything about the lives of the Sants that started the institution, but I can comment on that which is around today.

Not having a golak because it is a place of Bhagti is quite a strange concept. Every Sikh is enjoined to earn their daily bread and from it, give dasvandh. Dasvandh is maya. But practicality is also necessary in the life of a Sikh, as the Sikh is told to live in the world (without being dragged into its materialism). Golaks were around the time of Guru Sahiban. Read the sakhi of Guru Hargobind Sahib when he made a declaration that from then on, he would give respect to those Sikhs who would bring weapons and horses to his court instead of other things brought previously. Those other things were what constituted a golak.

Nishan Sahib and being apolitical: Without a Nishan Sahib, you cannot even call a place a Gurudwara! The Nishan Sahib is the flag of community. It outlines that the Sikh Panth is a separate community with its own rights and conventions. In essence, it is a symbol of the Sikh community's power and individuality. One can

not say that being political was what the Gurus said. Guru Nanak Sahib, the very first Guru, used to go on his Udasis and mess with the biggest of politicians. The latter half of the Gurus themselves dressed like Emperors (they were the REAL emperors) and maintained all the formalities of royalty, with keeping hawks, to learning martial arts, to keeping armies to challenging those who would oppress people. What could be more poltical?

Langar: My brother (lives in Cali) visited a Nanaksar "Gurudwara" (see above comment on Nishan Sahib). Said it was a good and peaceful place, but when it came for langar time, all the "Nanaksarias" were nowhere to be seen ie. they did not eat langar with the sangat. That is absolutely not correct (don't know if this happens in other Nanalsar establishments). Langar was the command of the Guru. It is recorded that Guru Nanak Sahib himself, along with the sangat, would cook langar on the premesis of the Gurudwara and partake of it himself.

Such alterations on established and core principles is not in line with what history of Sikhism teaches us.

Enough of my ranting... :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

As for the Golak not being there, it is simply because during Baba Nand Singh Ji's time, the Rehat was very strict for the Sewadars, there was no attachment to Maya, and what the Sangat contributed in food was used, no money was allowed in the Gurughar as it interfered with the Bhagti.

VERY TRU :@

It's fascinating to see so many people picking little points to criticise and missing the main objective, which is Parchar, Bhagti and utmost respect of Guru Ji. All of which are incomparable in the Nanaksar Maryada. Whoever said Nanaksar has done no parchar needs to read a little bit of history, Baba Isher Singh Ji encouraged and under their guidance, 7 Lakhs of people took Amrit during their lifetime, is this not Parchar? What of the Nanaksars abroad? The schools opened? Are these oblivious to you?

Well, I have just put my reasons across as to why certain things are different in the Nanaksar Maryada, someone said something about the Golak, Langar etc. Well, the main Nanaksar was a TAP ASTHAN of Babaji. It wasn't intended to be a Gurudwara, Babaji said everyone is welcome here to do BHAGTI, not have political discussions or vichaar of anything except Gurbani, even that was limited as the emphasis was always on Bhagti. The Nanaksar maryada was inspired by the Nirmaley Sikh Guru Ji sent out to do Parchar, therefore there are similarities and disimilarities.

I've tried my best to explain the little I know, there will be cynics in every 'Jatha' or individuals who miss the essential points, but that is your own Sharda, whether you see beyond things you read, hear about, or whether you go there your self, and experience the Naam da ras that Babaji spent their whole life devoted to, it will touch you even now, that's how strong it still is. Go to the Bhora Sahib, where INTENSE Bhagti was done by Babaji, and tell me you believe this is a SECT.

I hope I haven't hurt anyone by my comments, but this is all I know, and I think it's important to expe

rience something before passing comment.

Gurfateh

ji Sahileen Kaur khalsa

the bad changes have come after the depature of Sant Ishar Singh ji, when the "sant wars" started.

NO nishaan sahib no good

symbols no good, why don't u juss tie a lock of hair around ur kneck

As with sikhi, i'm sure nanaskaar will also reform back 2 the days of Sat Nand singh ji and Sant Ishar singh ji who were the inspiring light in my familly, then a transition to the taksaal occured.

these are'nt small points panji, nanaksaar is not a gurdwara ne more :@ they dont' ahve a nishaan sahib, directly ignored hukumn of akaal takht etc.

but i respect their respect for guru sahib.

juss a question: whats up with the picture of Guru Nanak Dev ji maharaaj with the star under the foot?

Is Nishan Sahib a mere symbol which can be discarded at will by anyone? In such a case, how about the five kakars including our kesh? Arent they symbols too? A patit can getaway using the same logic on the grouds that he has tremendous respect for Guru sahib and the physical attributes dont matter at all.
My intention wasn't to say the Nishan Sahib is not important and should be discarded, but when it comes to the respect of Guru Ji, and the Maryada which believes that Guru Ji should be respected so highly, then I dont spend time worrying about why there is no Nishan Sahib here or wherever. In the UK, there are Guru Ghar with Nishan Sahibs were people have been stabbed in political rows over power and elections. Is this symbol respected by every Jatha? As for your comparison with the 5 Ks, this makes no sense at all to me. That's a different issue, the 5 K's are NOT symbols, each has a special reason which is practical, so the comparison you make is inaccurate. The Nishan Sahib is in a sense a symbol of the Sikhs, which is important, but as I mentioned, Babaji wasn't intending to make the main Nanaksar a Gurudwara, it was a Tap Asthan, Sangat came because they wanted to, and there was no restriction on them meeting Babaji.

Since the times of our Guru sahiban, countless Sikhs have fought and given up their lives under the Nishan Sahib and it as dear and reverent to us as a national flag is to the citizens of a country.

Yes, I agree.

During the years of Sikh struggle in Punjab and rest of India in the eighties and nineties, I havent come across a single instance of contribution by any of the numerous Nanksars' spread throughout India. During the 1984 riots, hundereds of Gurudwaras were attacked and burnt down but i cant recall any Nanaksar gurdwara being amongst them.

As I mentioned in my above post, Baba Isher Singh Ji has done amazing Parchar for the Panth by initiating so many people in the Khalsa. So, I don't know what you mean by your comment. As for no Nanaksar Gurughar being burned down, if they aren't considered Gurughar's because of no Nishan Sahib, maybe they weren't included when people recorded how many were attacked. So, for a Gurughar to be authentic and valid, it has to have a history where it was attacked at least once? How do you know if the Sikhs killed in the riots were from Nanaksar or another Jatha? My Dad knows so many Sewadar who were killed in 1984, would you like names and proofs? Please try not to be so narrow minded and go there and experience Nanaksar yourself, if it isn't your thing then fine, but to label it as a NON-Sikh institution without reading it's history and going there is rash.

Gurfateh

Ps. Another point on Langar. Although there was no Langar Maryada in the Nanaksar during Babaji's lifetime. the Parshada for Guru Sahib is cooked there and it is to this very day.

the bad changes have come after the depature of Sant Ishar Singh ji, when the "sant wars" started.
Yeah I agree.
NO nishaan sahib no good

You're entitled to your opinion, I've explained the reasons to the best of my ability.

symbols no good, why don't u juss tie a lock of hair around ur kneck
Why don't you stop giving me suggestions on how to respect my Kesh? I don't follow your suggestions. Do you even know me to make that comment? I don't wear a lock of hair around my neck, and I think your comment was very degrading for someone who doesn't even know me.
As with sikhi, i'm sure nanaskaar will also reform back 2 the days of Sat Nand singh ji and Sant Ishar singh ji who were t

he inspiring light in my familly, then a transition to the taksaal occured.

Yeah, and let's hope it starts with Darbar Sahib letting women do Sewa and implementing the true teachings of equality of our Guru's.

these are'nt small points panji, nanaksaar is not a gurdwara ne more  they dont' ahve a nishaan sahib, directly ignored hukumn of akaal takht etc.but i respect their respect for guru sahib
Well, to me a place which places the Guru Sahib at the highest level, and respects Guru Ji, believes in Bhagti, Sewa, Parchar and Kirtan of the Guru is a Gurudwara. Well, the Akal Takhat issued a Hukam for people not to sit on chairs and take shoes into the Langar area, some Gurughars (with Nishan Sahib) in the UK have ignored the Hukam, so I guess those aren't Gurudwara's either.
juss a question: whats up with the picture of Guru Nanak Dev ji maharaaj with the star under the foot?

This Saroop was made under the instruction of Babaji. When Babaji recieved Darshan of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, they resembled this Saroop, so it was made. The star has been added by the artists who believe Guru Ji was the incarnation of Vaheguru. Nanaksar, as far as I know, believes that Guru Ji had merged with Vaheguru so there was no difference, however the star on the sole of the foot is probably misleading as it points to a Hindu way of representing Avtars.