Big Brother

Manchester_Sikhi

OK, so it's not linked to Sikhi at all, but just hoped that some of the UK folk here agree with me with the racist/bullying treatment Shilpa is getting the BB house. I've always detested BB but I watched some of those comments by Jade et al and frankly it's disgusting....hope some of your guys send your complaints into Ofcom/Channel 4...there have been over 14,000 complaints so far about it, mainly by non-asian UK people...we should really be doing something too as uk-indians.

But anyway, enough of the rant, this is the bit linked kinda linked to this forum, i found this interesting quote from the Indian government about the situation in the BB house:

Indian government "apprised" of Shilpa situation

Day 15, 10:21 UTC - by James Welsh

The Indian government is "looking into all the aspects" of Shilpa's experience in the Big Brother house.

"We have been apprised of the matter," the country's minister of state for external affairs Anand Sharma told The Times of India today. "The world knows that India has throughout firmly rejected all forms of discrimination and racism.

http://bigbrother.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11582.html

Does the world really know that Indian rejected all forms of discrimination and racism.....i doubt it.....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the quote on a different web site found it ironic considering the amount of racism and discrimination that occurs in India not only towards Sikhs but other religions and castes.

Think what's happening to Shilpa is disgusting it's all based on jealousy and ignorance. It's not something you should ignore as many impressionable people watch the programme who might go away thinking it's acceptable to make fun of some one because of their accent or the fact they come from a different culture. But it is good to see that not all people in the U.K think this way from the amount of complaints made.

Who cares?

Big Brother is RUBBISH, I agree.....but the racism and taunts partly because of her race....(partly because its the usual female bitchy thing---without sounding sexist) are totally wrong and injust.

But the point i was trying to raise is one of racism....the comments include things some of the female housemates refusing to call her by her name simply because they cannot pronounce in and instead calling her ' The Indian', not eating her the food that she cooked because she doesnt know where her hands have been, shes been apparantly called a "a Paki" which channel 4 bleeped out etc etc

The list goes on.

As a mainstream TV program they should be doing more to protecting asians and NOT to enhance what we Western Indians have experienced for years whilst being away from the motherland. What makes it all the more prominant is the fact that 14000 people have complained so far, lots of the non-Indian and the Indian government and folks back home have also been complaining about it to the UK Goverment and Channel 4.

I just think to sit around and ignore the issue...even though BB itself is RUBBISH....we will be kicking ourselves in the back...

Just my 50cents...not linked to SIkhi so sorry for that but just wanted to raise the point of us NOT being passive in life and the fact that we should always make a stand for what is right and prevent discrimination towards ALL people....values I'm sure our GuruJi's would have wanted us to follow.

Gurufateh!

i hope none of you's mind me sayin but - it is KINDA stupid - i mean if this Shilpa woman pronounces things differently - well so what? ghorea take the p out of anything thats not the same or alike to them.

Why would BB put a indian actress (i think) in BB house though?

Whats the point of BB anyway? Its a bunch of people loungin round doin MOSTLY what we doin - except billion people watchin them... :)

Im not tryna offend you BB fans or nothin - just i dont see the point....

if this Shilpa woman is finding these people offensive then why dnt she walk out? if this case was PROPER serious (rascism n discrimnation) am sure BB would gettin involved...

Gurufateh!

Gurufateh!

i hope none of you's mind me sayin but - it is KINDA stupid - i mean if this Shilpa woman pronounces things differently - well so what? ghorea take the p out of anything thats not the same or alike to them.

Whats the point of BB anyway? Its a bunch of people loungin round doin MOSTLY what we doin - except billion people watchin them... :)

if this Shilpa woman is finding these people offensive then why dnt she walk out? if this case was PROPER serious (rascism n discrimnation) am sure BB would gettin involved...

Gurufateh!

Well, according to the papers this morning 20,000 do care. So much so, they have complained to Offcom and Ch4 themselves.

Personal issues aside, the media is a powerful tool and unfortunatly shapes peoples thoughts, lifestyles and preferences. The issue addressed has made the British people think about the potential part one can play as a bully without even realising.

Thats really the point.

I've come across lots of gore making a stand...but only a handful of asian doing so, most of my mates don't care about it, thankfully ketih vaz (MP) has brought it up in the commons, but what are the rest of us asians doing?

Gurufateh!

Gurufateh!

Well, according to the papers this morning 20,000 do care. So much so, they have complained to Offcom and Ch4 themselves.

Personal issues aside, the media is a powerful tool and unfortunatly shapes peoples thoughts, lifestyles and preferences. The issue addressed has made the British people think about the potential part one can play as a bully without even realising.

Gurufateh!

i understand that - but what am tryna say is - i thought BB was known to interfere if someone started fightin with one the housemates - aint this the same?

i DONT WANT NO ONE TO TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY OR ANYTHIN but i dnt see why us asians needs to concern ourselves - i mean how 'normal' is it - to have a apane kuri livin amongst people u dont know? i may not watch BB - but it aint exactly made for kids to watch is it? EVERY1 knows what stuff goes on in BB - ghorea stuff u kno - why have a Indian add to it??

sorry if any1 found that offensive but every person holds ther OWN E - JAAT in their OWN hands.

Gurufateh!

Although shilpa does not deserve the treatment shes been getting, I dont know what the fuss is all about. This is just blown up in all propertions because shes a big bollywood star and the Indian community aboard plus the indian govt dont want to lose face infront of the world's media.

Indian govt has a cheek to complain on a diplomatic level to british govt when they are torturing, murdering, raping and carrying out false encounters targetting innocent people day in day out which is much more important than some jumped up bollywood star's alleged racist treatment in a reality tv show.