Rastas And Sikh

Manchester_Sikhi

Rastaaaaaaaa maaaaaaan!!! :umm:

the other day me n a cupla prendz went to sumwhere grin.gifgrin.gif , but at the train station, we saw this rasta n he looked like a was a singh coz his dhari was soo long n had a with dastaar on, so we started to run after him to see if he was a sikh, bt we lost him!! :lol: :) :lol:

and to elaborate on the "sukha parshad" bit of this topic, it is called Shahedhi Degh, which consists of some other stuff aswell, (Ask Jassa for more info) :TH:

Rastaaaaaaaa maaaaaaan!!! :umm:

the other day me n a cupla prendz went to sumwhere grin.gifgrin.gif , but at the train station, we saw this rasta n he looked like a was a singh coz his dhari was soo long n had a with dastaar on, so we started to run after him to see if he was a sikh, bt we lost him!! :lol: :) :lol:

and to elaborate on the "sukha parshad" bit of this topic, it is called Shahedhi Degh, which consists of some other stuff aswell, (Ask Jassa for more info) :TH:

LOL LOL.gif u worry me sometimes with ur stalkin lol

That's really freaky - "Manchester_Sikhi" -- I was having a very similar discussion about the exact same thing a few days ago !

Here is what we "Found out " -- (PLEASE read the disclaimer :nihungsmile: )

***Disclaimer - This post was the result of one of those stupid late night discussions - It is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and lighthearted.It is not intended to insult or offend - If it does please accept my sincere apologies. Oh and before anyone jumps to any conclusions NO the discussion was not fuelled by 'THC' or any other stimulant - unless of course you count milky tea with lots of toast covered in strawberry jam and topped with slabs of cheese - as a stimulant !! ****

If you've been to Ladbroke Grove, other parts of West London or parts of South London (Or of course Jamaica or Trinidad) you may of seen Bobo Shanti Rastafarians - I don't know a Single Sikh who hasn't had to do a double Take and look again to see if they've just seen a Black Singh !

Bobo Shanti Rastafarians - unlike other branches of Rastafari who tend to wear woolen or leather 'Tams' to cover their Dreadlocks - wear tightly wound headwraps or turbans to cover their dreadlocks. They wear special robes and turbans - usually white on the Sabbath - but many wear brightly coloured high turbans on other days - They believe their hair contains the 'Power of Self' - it is only shown to partners and family - Many resemble Nihangs and their High Dumallas. This got me thinking and led to a big discussion - and here are some of the similarities between Nihangs and Bobo Shanti Rastafarians we found.

OK - we'll get the OBVIOUS one out of the way first - Bobo Shanti believe Marijuana is a sacrament - it is only taken in private, never in public and it's use is preceded by special prayers. sound familiar ?

Anyone who has spent time with Rastas, Nihangs or your common-or-garden imbiber of Marijuana - will know there are side effects - these are not just 'The Munchies' or 'Intense Paranoia' - but - how can I put it delicately for a 'polite' audience - um - a certain 'prostate on a rock' situation - this means there are a whole number of funny stories that are told .

Nihangs have loads of these funny stories - perhaps they are bragging - but those in the 'know' - will have heard the legendary tales of 'amour' !!! say no more ! Rastas are no different!

Rastafarians also use marijuana as a medicine - it is often applied onto wounds - mixed with a liquid or saliva.

Now we've got that out of the way - here are some interesting points

Language - Nihangs have their own way of talking ,never refering to themselves as one but as a 'fauj' and other special Bolas - Rastas also have special way of using language - there is no 'You' in their language - they use 'I' and 'I and I' - to show God is part of them - there is no 'you' - They say 'First there was 'I' then the Devil created 'You'

an example of their language is

' I and I must not understand but overstand, Seen ' note the changing of under to over - changing a negative into a positive .

Rastafarians believe they are living in Babylon - deprived of Zion (Ethiopia) by Slavers who stole them from their 'rightful place' , so they live in exile until the time they can gain their rightful place. Similar to 'Malech' SGPC stealing the 'rightful place' of the Dal Panth - the Akal Bunga ???

rastafarians observe strict Old Testament 'Jewish Mosaic Law' - they tend to be vegetarians - though some may eat fish but not shellfish. They are very particular and do not eat processed foods. - Not unlike 'Bibeck' ?

Rastafarians have a strong resistance to 'Structure' and 'Tyranny' and are fighters against all forms of 'Injustice' - They are vocal protesters against all forms of Violence.

Familiar yes ?

True rastafarians - speak of 'Fashion dreads' or 'Funky Dreads' - those who take on the appearance of Rastas but have not taken the vows or do not give the vows due respect ---- Not unlike' #N*a%n£g$s' ( The N word as used by Nihangs- not the US variety ! in case it doesnt show up ) - don't you think ?

What do you think ??? Yes I have got WAY too much time on my hands - yes I know and respect the fine and ancient traditions of Nihangs and know Rastas are an early 20th century phenomenon - but hey it cheered me up and filled a rather boring evening with some good discussion.

ONCE AGAIN - This IS lighthearted - please don't take offence - I fully respect ALL traditions of ALL world communities - I just think it shows how we are all God's Children and more similar than different.

Any way I'll get back to what I do best - and that's not inter- community comparison ! - But pictures - here they come

A group of Bob Shanti Men - a cursory glance and you would think they were Singhs

pict3rr8.jpg

Bob Shanti on the Sabbath - in white robes

bsvt2.jpg

Bobo Shanti Musicians - Reggae artists like Capelton are 'Bobo Shanti' rastafarians - though purists would say he hasn't taken 'full vows'

bobo70yl8.jpg

dsc022ry6.jpg

jahmasonmm5.jpg

a Bobo Shanti young man - in his turban - not unlike the small dumalay UK youngsters wear

dsc010892le4.jpg

A Bobo Shanti woman - they also cover their hair

dsc010902mw7.jpg

Oh I forgot - here is a video of what I think is a young 'Jattadhari' Udasi - an udasi with jatta - matted locks - covered with a turban - correct me if I'm wrong. The video is from Shaheedi Bagh , Anandpur - vaisakhi 1999

The 'Udasi' only makes a fleeting appearance

this is a still

detit0.jpg

det2au0.jpg

This is the film clip ;

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...43&hl=en-GB

MORE connections and similarities !!

There you go - should I be expecting a 'Late Night' visit or Cchittar Parade ??

I hope not !

Love and Peace

Freed !

:) :nihungsmile: :lol:

Freed... thanx for repeatin everythin i said.. lol... tongue.gif

another thing... jus as Sikhs embrace eachother in giving Fateh when wi meet, they also have a greating... the Bobo Shanti Tribe greet eachother with "My Lord", and most other Rastafarians greet eachother wit "Blessed Love", and also kinda 'bow' when dem see eachother.. not unlike how wi Sikhs do :)

a lot of west indian/african culture is also very similar to the Sikh 'culture' dat our Gurus layed as our foundation...

^ we kinda give a small bow to each other when we say our fateh....welll, i guess i sort of do,

JAH BLESS!

You think?

I can recount countless times when Singhs have walked straight past me along the road without even offereing a fateh etc...

^ we kinda give a small bow to each other when we say our fateh....welll, i guess i sort of do,

JAH BLESS!

You think?

I can recount countless times when Singhs have walked straight past me along the road without even offereing a fateh etc...

In my own personal experience I've always found that Singhs have always given the 'nod' when seeing them on my travels. My none keshdhari friends in fact always say that Singhs never nod at them but always 'nod' at me, the answer I always give is, 'its a Singh Thing'. :e:

JAH BLESS!

You think?

lol

ye but ur from the UK, u got weird ppl living there minus 'KarKirpaWahegur' Bhenji rolleyes.gif

:) lol sorry i had to edit ur post - cos i know u meant well on my behalf tongue.gif