Disgracefull &%&^

Guest balwinderkaur

i, once again believe the root of the problem is western culture, it is influencing the youth way too much. in my opinion it is one of the biggest threats to khalsa

i think this will be solved when people stop trying to fit in with all these white folks, they should keep thier sikhi over thier citizen ship. this problem is even spreading to punjab, all the kids there want to be canadain or so...

I agree with you in some ways, but I see the main problem being the parents. I use my self as a example I was born in the UK and my mum brought me up as a Sikh, yes I did cut my hair when I was young but then started growing my hair when about 13 years old. I was told about the Sikh history and how to be a Sikh. I did eat meat and drink but I tried never to disrespect Sikhi in the way some people do, you could say I did disrespect sikhi by eating meat and drinking but I tried my best not to.

If you look at most musilm family from a young age they teach they kid about being a musilm and how to pray as a musilm, this is what most sikh familys lack.

We need to teach the young about sikhi and how to be a Sikh.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

It is very common, I live near Southall and these boys do this to compete with the Muslim hooligans on Eid. They compete on who is the loudest and who celebrates with more 'style'.

This is all a stupid competition between boys who actually have no faith but use it to pick fights with others. Something must be done, if we had posters we could distribute them everywhere, I would love to for one.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i, once again believe the root of the problem is western culture, it is influencing the youth way too much. in my opinion it is one of the biggest threats to khalsa

i think this will be solved when people stop trying to fit in with all these white folks, they should keep thier sikhi over thier citizen ship. this problem is even spreading to punjab, all the kids there want to be canadain or so...

I agree with you in some ways, but I see the main problem being the parents. I use my self as a example I was born in the UK and my mum brought me up as a Sikh, yes I did cut my hair when I was young but then started growing my hair when about 13 years old. I was told about the Sikh history and how to be a Sikh. I did eat meat and drink but I tried never to disrespect Sikhi in the way some people do, you could say I did disrespect sikhi by eating meat and drinking but I tried my best not to.

If you look at most musilm family from a young age they teach they kid about being a musilm and how to pray as a musilm, this is what most sikh familys lack.

We need to teach the young about sikhi and how to be a Sikh.

i see what you mean about the parent and them not educating thier kids, but i believe the problem goes beyond parents. for example, just look at the youth in punjab, they're changing thier ways even though they know lots about sikhi, its the influence that western culture brings. becuase parents in punjab haven't changed thier ways of teaching thier children.

and even the parents have been forced to change thier ways to fit thier new country, and how are they expected to teach thier children, when they themselves have lost thier roots.

this view may not be popular because its going to be hard to change, cuz most people born here aren't will to stop watching dirty movies, listening to bhangra or even learn about sikh. the pressure is too great.

at my local gurdwara, there are only about 3 or 4 teenagers there during sunday prayer.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

It is very terrible, I love going to many different Guroodwaras on Vaisakhi and Southall Park Avenue is one of them. It kind of ruins the vaisakhi celebrations at the Guroodwaras on the way home when those idiots are drunk and driving wrecclesly with the beautiful Nishaan Sahib sticking out of their cars. I was told a story at a Sikh camp I went to once, I think we should tell it to as many people as posibble.

Once during a battle there was a Singh carrying the nishaan sahib while he fought. I can't remember who the Sikhs were fighting but one of the enimies went up to the sikh with the nishaan sahib and cut off both of his arms and said how are you going to hold it now, now you will have to drop it. But the Singh put it between his leg. Then the enemie cut off both of the Singh's legs. He said now you will have to drop it but the Singh put the bottom of it in his mouth and never let it fall. I can't remember the ending and it's full of mistakes 'cause I heard it ages ago. Please forgive me.

Guest SikhForLife

bhaji.. i live in a "western society" theres no indian.. or sikh in my town..

no african-americans either

i went to a small all-white high school.. yet i dont do any of the things u speak of

western culture doesnt have much influence on me.. and its cuz how i was brought up by my parents...

so its not the western society.. but entirely depends on how u were brought up

SikhForLife, you said "i went to a small all-white high school.. yet i dont do any of the things u speak of", thats great that you beat the odd, but most of the people on this site are people who didn't let the influence get to them, thats why thier here trying to learn about sikh. but just look at the hundreds of thousands who don't know a single thing about sikhi.

in a high school of mine, there are about a 100 - 200 sikh students, and only 4 or 5 have turbans.

i guess the problem is affecting some parts more then others, here in calgary the situation is very bad, even though we have tons of sikhs. the youth here are worried more about other things, gangs, cars, dating, drinking, drugs, etc...