Hip Hop

WILDSINGH

^^^^

* Stands up and claps loudly*

That was beautiful, my friend, simply beautiful!

*Wipes tears from eyes and slowly walks away after gathering himself*

Ik ong kar satgur parsad!

Awwwwww... peace!

Friends : you know what i have analysed? lemme share it with you..

We are normal and ordinary human beings born with a wish to live and we all tend to live differently.. what with different tastes and views on everything.

When it comes to music, i was surprised to know from a close friend, that the choice of music is related to the rythm of our heart beat. For instance, if my heart beats are fast then I would tend to listen to faster music and in case my beats are slow, then i would prefer slower music.

I am amazed at God's creation and the variety he has created.. pray.gif

I might get totally bashed for this but I listen to loads of R & B and some hip hop. I listen to it for the lyrics and it really helps me get through daily struggles in life and I love the beats blush.gif .. but I dont see how this makes me any less of a Sikh..

Some people are BEYONDDDD hardcore...

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

:umm: Shocked :)

But anyway why do you need to Listen to that kind of music Ji when you can Just Jap Naam Ji ????

Naam Japu

Naam is the cure for everything and it is fun Ji :)

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Can I say something? I like how you wrote (Heart ji :cool: .

I'll just say that not everyone is the same and we should be free to choose to listen to what we like. There are many ways to find happiness and we shouldn't be confined to just one particular way.

just reading your reply made me laugh to myself. yes you are free to listen to what you like , but that happiness you will find in naam and gurbani will last much longer than the happiness you will find in your others 'particular way'. the benifits are so great and the effects are everlasting in naam, if one realises this then they would stay far away from any other music...............

all of this boils down to the lyrics and the words being said.

if the words are good and teach you to be a better person then fine. if they teach you to be a better sikh, then fine. if they teach you about vaheguru and sikhi, then fine.

but if they do the opposite then we should keep away.

a song or lyrics in a song are similar to having a conversation. for example do i want to have a conversation with somebody telling me how they have slept with loads of women and how much they can drink .. no i dont. but do i want a conversation with someone about the greatness of vaheguru and gursikhs .. yes i do. the same applies to lyrics in a song, think about what conversation you are listening to.

the ultimate truth is that our conversation should always be about vaheguru. yes in garisti marg this isnt always physically possible, but where we can we should make eforts to do so. guru ji has said that he has given us these ears to hear the praises of vaheguru, so we should try and use them for this purpose as much as possible.

sometimes we get stuck in life and need advice, so we turn to friends for their opinions and advice. lyrics can often be the same, we believe that the writer is giving us his/her opinion but just singing it rather then saying it. again if it is good advice it can help you. but again we need to keep in mind that as we progress in sikhi the only person who can realllly give the best advice is guru ji via gurbani. so in future when we go through hard times in life we will turn to gurbani more and more as this will help us more, but this is a journey and not something which will happen overnight.

i would say that there is nothing you can find in any lyrics anywhere which is positive that isnt in gurbani. the problem with people like me is that i dont understand gurbani, if i did then i would always go to gurbani first and only.

final comment, people keep saying 'hardcore' this and that. well im sorry but guru ji is very hardcore. he sets a very difficult path of sikhi. so much of gurbani tells us what we need to do to be gursikhs and merge with vaheguru, and that isnt going to be easy. we will have to be hardcore with our jeevans if we want to obtain that merging with vaheguru. however that doesnt mean that we speak to each other with ego. i do think that people who are saying hip hop is wrong are not saying it out of ego, but because they genuinlly believe that it is wrong for sikhs to be doing sangat of that music. lets not always take this as a personal attack, but lets try taking this as advice (although perhaps not worded correctly!!)

Very powerful post! Thanks for taking the time to write this, it's very thought provoking.

Why I listen to hip-hop...

The following are lyrics, but edited for a sikh perspective, which is what i usually relate the lyrics to upon listening.

Imagine if we could go back

Actually talk to the people that persevered (hehehe)

I mean the first Sikhs that died

(Hey, excuse me, excuse me) Y'know? (Look)

We back for everything you owe, no longer oppressed

cause now we overthrow those that placed us in this rotten mess

But let's agree on strategy and pick out enemies right

Who stands accused of the abuse my own, kind do right

Pardon, not disregardin what you thinkin but you musta been the ship

cause once I rip your whole sh!t is sinkin

Supreme ideology, you claim to hold

Claimin' that we all dumb "warrior hindus" with empty souls

That used to tempt me to roll, commit to violence

In the midst of an act of war, witnesses left silent

Shatter, black talon style, thoughts I throw

It remains in your brain then of course it grows

Maybe, even your babies can produce and rise

Picture a life where sardar babies can survive past five

But we must have hope, quotin the guru from the pulpit

Refuse to turn the other cheek we must defeat the evil culprit

Lace me with words of destruction and I'll explode

but supply me with the will to survive, and watch the world grow

This ain't bout talkin bout problems, I bring solutions

Where's the restitution, stipulated through the constitution

You violated, now I'm back to haunt your nights

Listen to the screams, of the lives you sacrificed

And in case you don't know, sikh seeds still grow

We comin back, for everything you owe

2pac - Everything They Owe

Now, I picked this particular verse because it is an angry verse. 2pac was furious when he wrote this, and pretty much wishing "I wonder what if i was alive then.." and then getting angry at remembering those events.

You can not treat this like gurbani. You treat it like a conversation with another individual. But this time, they have an art form which gains your attention.

I know plenty of us, wish or think "what if we were alive in 84", and i knwo most of us also, get mad when we see the pictures. This is just a method of releasing that anger but in relation to events of other cultures.

I do, and could read paht all day, but when someone writes a verse about a particular event, and I can relate to it 100% then I will pop that cd in for 5 minutes and then continue to do paht.

Both can co-exist.

Very well put. Although Gurbani is supreme and no Sikh would say otherwise let us remember that as humans living in this turbulent ocean of life we CAN learn alot from others experiences and subjects outside of religion.

People have to be careful. Do you not think that in this empirical life there are also important things for us to learn other than Bani? Look at medical science for example. I have full respect for those that spend their lives trying to find cures for diseases and illnesses. Any Gursikh who falls seriously sick and has to go hospital and is saved by a surgeon or some medicine would know that there are important things out there outside of religion. Would you call the surgeon a manmukh or teh person who has devoted his/her life to develop a medicine for teh betterment of mankind? This is not to imply that our spiritual side is in anyway unimportant but that the world around us is complex and we need to grasp this complexity and not just stay closeted up.

I remember only a few decades ago their was the image of the Khalsa that was current. It was highly idealised but still beautiful. It spoke of bravery and concern for the oppressed. When we as a community start to dogmatically and rigidly follow our faith and become blinded to the wider world around us, we will become pointless. All of the people who do lots of simran, that is just so excellent, but don't forget that achieving spirituality isn't just this. We all know that seva is a central part, that doesn't just mean serving and making langar but also wider seva to the world. Frankly Sikhs are lacking in this at the moment, thats what i feel anyway.

No offence.

One love to the Sikh nation.