Hip Hop

WILDSINGH

People listening to hip hop should be shot!!!

Calm down people its a joke, thought id say at as this all everyone will slowly lead the topic to. Personally i used to listen to it....now ii prefer not to. Yes i respect tupac shakur for what he done, he madee hip hop a platform to show a violation of human rights, similar to how bahagat singh used bhangra stages and pamplets and the jail to show the world a violation of human rights. Now what we have is singhs that enjoy keertan which is a good thing, so those that like keertan why not smile and just say chalo your choice rather than argue to the max. Yes i like keertan but at the same time if u like hip hop then that makes u different and it effects me not a jot, its your choice and eveyone is not the same, remember waheguru made us all different

ahem ahem...

REHAT

iqRXw rwg sunih icq lwie ] sunhu lwl so jmpuir jwie ]17]

thriyaa raag sunehi chith laae || sunahu laal so jamapur jaae ||17||

Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Lal Jee, they will be punished by the angel of death.;

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

GURBANI

myry mohn sRvnI ieh n sunwey ] swkq gIq nwd Duin gwvq bolq bol Ajwey ]1] rhwau ]

maerae mohan sravanee eih n sunaaeae || saakath geeth naadh dhhun gaavath bolath bol ajaaeae ||1|| rehaao ||

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

Ang 820 Guru Arjan Dev Jee Raag Bilaaval

you need to draw a clear line between music and lyrics.

the people who dont listen to rap, hip hop, bhangra etc in most cases will not listen because of the lyrical content. the melody, the notes etc etc are not so much the issue, but it is the lyrics.

it is obvious that different sounds, different types of MUSIC have different effects on different people, same way as different raags have different effects. for some people, listening to hip hop MUSIC gets them fired up, which may be good when your training on a punch bag etc, for others classical music may help them relax and get ready to meditate. this is the personal choice element.

however, as sikhs we should be aware of what we listen to and watch etc. IF the lyrics promote things outside of sikhi then as sikhs we should not be listening to them. this includes, drugs, drink, playing around, vulgar language etc etc. this applies to, white, black, brown origin music.

most people will happily listen to something which they enjoy and teaches the right message but may not be kirtan, eg dhadhi varaan. but if these dhadhis were singing inappropriate lyrics then that would again be wrong to listen to as it will take your mind to places it shouldnt.

yes people are on different levels and it is hard for those of us who grew up in cultures where music was so part and parcel of it to now let it go. it takes time, but it is something that needs to be done if we want to progress spiritually. but we sould at least be strong enough to set our targets, lets not make excuses for ourselves.

finally i heard a story of how sant kartar singh ji and jatha were in a village and somebody was playing 'nehn pareeto de' (the eyes of preeto) and sant ji started smiling. when the singhs asked him he asked them what they heard, they said a punjabi track speaking about a girls eyes. he told them that he heard 'nehn pritam de' i.e. he heard someone singing about how beautiful the eyes of his pritam (beloved vaheguru) were. so here sant ji being a true bhramgianni only ever heard and saw vaheguru everywhere and for him even lewd music sounded like ustat of vaheguru. BUT none of us are on that level and while sant ji heard that, he NEVER would have sat down and listended to such lyrics via his own choice.

so i would advise, if you do listen to this type of lyrics, then try and cut down as much as you can, whether you admit it or not, it does have an effect on your mind. and our job is to join our minds with vaheguru so lets concentrate on that. but even when we are listening to kirtan, we need to ensure that we listen to the lyrics as much as we do the tunes. the tune has an effect yes, but the lyric (gurbani) is where the real raas is.

youth these days throw around the word manmat wayyyyy too much :ysad:

first try and understand what manmat means!!! its not a simple as most of us think it is. guru kirpa karey

there is nothing wrong with being 'stricter' then your elders, as long as that being strict is according to guru ji's gurmat. we should be progressing with our sikhi, not becoming 'less strict' with each generation!!

and brother from what i understand this topic is about hip hop music, not culture! music forms a part of a culture, the culture itself is not a style of music!

not all of hip hop culture is bad (origins had correct intentions) just like not all punjabi culture is bad (respect for family unity and taking care of elders etc), the MUSIC is not 'bad' as music is a set of notes put together. what is BAD are the lyrics used in both hip hop, bhangra, pop, rock etc etc and that is what we need to watch out for.