Anand Karaj Why Does This Happen?

during the lavan why do men stand around and guide the bride around i think it stupid because i dont its neccessary.

i just think that the bride and groom are making a commitment in front of our guru and i think its a bit wierd to see all these guys around there.........bride and groom stand together.....dont need help from anyone else..................im not saying ban it this is just my opinion .

Some people do that for the same reason they tie rakhris on eachother ... The belief that the brothers have to 'protect' and 'guide' their sisters ... Even though the bride and groom are being guided and protected by Guru Ji pray.gif whom they sit infront of and who instructs them during lavaan on what to do ... not the family members

There is no 'reason' for the brothers to stand there ... they just do as a 'ritual' rolleyes.gif

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsaa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh.

Sangat jee please correct me if I am wrong. I have heard the reason why this started (don't know if this true or not though).

Back in the day the bibiyan use to wear them suits/lenghas/chunee etc that covered their face like veil type (anti-gurmat). As a result they couldn't see where they were walking and needed to be guided around Sree Guroo Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj. But instead of some random man/men doing this, the brothers did it so they wouldn't let some random touch the Bibi.

Like most Punjaabeefied customs carry on now, this also did, without question.

Bhulaa chukaa dee khemaa jee.

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsaa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh

Sangat jee. Please correct me if I am wrong, I have heard the reason why this started (don't know if this true or not though).

Back in the day the bibiyan use to wear them suits/lenghas/chunee etc that covered their face like veil type (which is anti-gurmat). As a result they couldn't see where they were walking and needed to be guided around Sree Guroo Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj. But instead of some random man doing this, the brothers did it so they wouldn't let some random touch the Bibi.

Like most Punjaabeefied customs carry on now, this also did without question.

Bhulaa chukaa dee khemaa jee.

i agree. yes this is what i have heard also, makes sense. this wat the elders in my family have told me. so it does make sense

hmmm...thats weird cause i heard a totally different story...i heard that way back in hte day there was a bride who couldn't walk...she had problems with her leg...so to not make it look so visible they had brothers stand around to guide her...and then...also when they are done the lavaa there is usually someone standing at the end to sit the girl down as well...anywho i mihgt be wrong..but thats what i heard from many people

yes the actual reson is simply because the women could not see where the were walking because they had there faces covered. The bride and grrom would normally meet for the first time at the wedding back in the day. My Nani has told me of stories when some women would even wear a duvet, over themselves. Even modern days weddings by many gursikhs still follow this custom, (not wearing a veil, but having people help you around GURU JI.)

Great gursikh wedding video on:

cjkatha.com

scroll down to Wedding of Sada Sat Simran Singh and Guru Das Kaur

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Irrespective of the "original reason", now its just a cultural thing. Strictly to sikhi, there is no need nor requirement to have the guy leading the girl around in lavans... they can go side by side, or alternate if they want. Of course that will just "make trouble for the establishment", but that's life :umm:

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!