Doin Path At The Gurudwara For Akhan Paths

Guest confuzzeled lil girl

Guest confuzzeled lil girl

this is just a random question that has been bugging me lately, grin.gif

this is what happen it was our akhand path sahib's bhog day, and when reading the saloks this guy that was not amrit dhari and doesnot keep his kes, :@ went to read the saloks with the granthi because no one else was there. n normally there does be 2/3 pepls doin the salok. after the bhog one of the commitee members told him off :umm: for doin so!!! and mentioned that if he is not amrit dhari :T: he shouldnt read the path from the Guru Granth sahib ji. i felt sorry for him cus he was about cryin, cry_smile.gif and i thought at least he tried. n when people try n get told off for it, it puts them off even making that step to get closer to sikhi again. but now in the same gurudwara there is a woman that does the role - the path for an hour (srry I cnt spell) for akhand paths and she is definately not amrit dhari!!! why hasnt she been told off??? is it just that he looked less of an sikh then she does??becus he was jus wearing a rumal but she wears a suit???? i really dont get it?? and please can someone clarify for me who is allowed to do path form GGSJ

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Papi

you can't tell people off for doing paath !!!!!! nonono.gif thats just wrong. anyone can read bani.

KqRI bRwhmx sUd vYs aupdysu chu vrnw kau swJw ]

khathree braahaman soodh vais oupadhaes chahu varanaa ko saajhaa ||

The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.

[all castes, any castes are euqal when it comes to waheguru, this can easily be extended to amritdhari vs. non-amritdhari context]

and guru gobind singh jee also said,

manas kee jaat, sabey aikey pehchaanvoo

recognize all the human race as one (its up on the SS banner tongue.gif )

although if i remember correctly, that only amrtidhari singhs can do bhog :@ and i think ideally, 2 singhs should read bhog dey salok.

amrit dhari singhs/bibia are allowed to do paat from guru maharaj. . . also it wud be good if the particular person has had sum sort of santhia b4 doin the seva. . . however im not 100% sure wrt the maryada with pothi sahibs i.e. japji sahib ji ** as i have seen non amrit dharis doin paat from them also.

**as per gurmaryada japji sahib jee shud be done when an akhand paat sahib jee is happening. . . from a pothi sahib

Guest Guest
Placing a pitcher, ceremonial clarified-butter-fed lamp, coconut, etc. around, during the course of the uninterrupted or any other reading of Guru Granth Sahib, or reading of other Scriptural texts side by side with or in the course of such reading is contrary to the gurmat (Guru's way).

From what I remember, the Rehit Maryada says only an Amritdhari can do paath infront of the sangat. I don`t know the main reason but I was told by an elder that if a mona is doing paath infront the the sangat then he`ll will be sending out the wrong "image" of sikhi.

Personally I think its ok for a non amritdhari to do paath infront of the sangat if there is no amritdhari. As long as he is doing it with pyaar and as seva and not just doing it to look good infront of the sangat.

I think now it boils down to who is capable of doing the Paath. If all amritdharis were "tyar bar tyar" we would not be in this situation. But the fact is many of us are unable to read Gurbani and heavily reliant on either Granthis or anyone else who can read Gurmukhi. Until we are able to improve ourselves than we might as well sit in the diwans and be tormented by the fact that a non-amritdhari is carrying out Maharaj's sewa because we don't know how to!

Guest Guest

I go to Gurdwara Nanaksar where Amritdharis and Non - Amritdharis do raul.

.....however on 1 condition the non - Amritdharis have to wear Dastaar and Chola.

I personally think it's okay for Mone to do raul as long as they follow that condition.

reading ashudh banni is verse then not reading banni at all .... if guy was reading ashudh banni ( which cant be possible without learning ) then its better ti kick him off .... becuase reading ashudh banni is doing beadbi of guru sahib ....

err hello.....are you all reading the same script. a mona, cuts his hair at the very least, if not other kurehitan as well. sat in the hazoori of maharaj ji and read gurbani and he was portraying the message of amrit shako and rehit rakho and everything else gurbani says.

where there is a gurdwara there is AT LEAST one amritdhari singh ie the giani. it's better to have just one amritdhari than have a non amritdhari with him/her. and yes bibian should be amritdhari as well when doing path from guru ji.

in this case let's not beat around the bush, i don't care what excuse anyone comes out with, everyone knows that's just plain wrong. i'm sorry if i've offended anyone but sometimes you have to as long as it's in accordance with gurmat.

I'm all for what Papi jee said and many others, it also comes down to the updesh of Satguru jee, poorae gur kaa hukam n ma(n)nai ouhu manamukh agiaan mut(h)aa bikh maaeiaa ||

One who does not obey the Hukam, the Command of the Perfect Guru - that self-willed manmukh is plundered by his ignorance and poisoned by Maya.

Ofcourse we shouldn't push someone away from reading bani, "thats worse than killing someone" said a famous kathavaachak. Through bani we learn, we grow. Guru Sahib also says don't just read bani, or listen to bani but apply it, instill the message, suneya manneya man keetaa bhaao| The thing is we see the jots of all 10 gurus in SGGSJ, if Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaaj was sitting on the throne, would a singh let a be-amriteea do his seva? Not in those days, what if he/she is a mughal or pahaari rajaa? OR they could also be that in a singh's bana. Coming back to the thing with appearance, there are several other ways that don't hurt the sentaments of some Sikhs and give you a chance to learn more about Sikhi, like why not listen to some katha, read history, do paath at home understand its meaning/message, when you start to do those things, you will automatically have guru's kirpaa on you, and will take amrit no matter what.

By not following the hukam of guru sahib like the above tuk its a mere hypocritical act, bhul chuk muaf karnee jee. d_oh.gif