Yet, Another Mela. When Will We Wake Up!

After the recent distubances in the midlands, and the subsequent cancellation of wolves mela. I was hoping the rest of the British sikh sangat would follow suit and ban mela. But here we go again theres a vaisakhi mela happening this sunday in Plumstead, south east london. These mela are not religiously based, but yet they take the name of 'vaisakhi', i know what some of you are thinking - vaisakhi relates to culture! I'm sorry to disagree, culture may have a very small bearing. But the main reason vaisakhi is celebrated is because Guru Ji gave Amrit. the cultural side of vaisakhi wouldn't even be blinked at in this country. Just look at Hola mohalla, its hardly celebrated here. So these mele are just money making idea's for the committees, a place to get drunk and eye up and mix with the opposite sex. Sorry but i don't like the word vaisakhi related to these anti-sikh activities.

sorry if i've offended any1.

wjkk wjkf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I've been to a mela, it's been about going somewhere with my family. We go round, look at the stalls, purchase something Sikhi-related if needed, eat some langar and visit all the tents that provide information on Sikhi. It was from a mela that I learnt about 1984. It was from a mela that I learnt about Jalia walla de bhag (sp?). It was from a mela that I found out about Gatka, saw Gatka and found it arising something deep inside.

If it hadn't been for the mela, I'd still be ignorant.

Haven't been to Handsworth mela the past few years because of uni so didn't know anything about the incident there but otherwise, I've seen nothing wrong at a mela.

something a friend always says to me.....would you think guru gobind singh ji would ever be there if not then why are you(his son/daughter) there...

singh who came into sikhi trough meleh trust maharaj would have shown you his path mela or no mela.....it was in your karam....

sorry for mistakes

vaheguroo

why don't we just ban everything rolleyes.gif

yeah, like lets hav a sikh version of the taleban and ban all music, cultural activities, dress up as ninjas so no one can look at us, have our own sikh only schools, segregate ourselves from all the other communities we live in, call everyone a racist if we dont get our own way, apply for government grants to build the biggest gurudawaras under the guise of they will be for the whole community and all will be welcome and then fight in them between ourselves and ban people we dont like from coming to them and pay for the police to come with metal detectors on the days we change the commitees so we dont get unwanted people attending... etc. etc.

jus kiddin..! :devil:

crazy fools :(

yeah, like lets hav a sikh version of the taleban and ban all music, cultural activities, dress up as ninjas so no one can look at us, have our own sikh only schools, segregate ourselves from all the other communities we live in, call everyone a racist if we dont get our own way, apply for government grants to build the biggest gurudawaras under the guise of they will be for the whole community and all will be welcome and then fight in them between ourselves and ban people we dont like from coming to them and pay for the police to come with metal detectors on the days we change the commitees so we dont get unwanted people attending... etc. etc.

Your not funny.

WHY YOU CALLING CRAZY??? AND WHO YOU CALLING A FOOL??????

IF YOU GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS OF YOUR OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS THEN KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. YOU ARE TAKING THE MICKY OUT OF SOMEONE BY CALLING THEM A TALEBAN BUT YET YOURSELF YOU ARE JUDGING THEM AND STEREOTYPING THEM. LOOK AT YOURSELVES IN THE MIRROR.

THE LAST MELA I WENT TO HAD ALCOHOL AND MEAT STANDS. THE COMMITTEE SAID "WHAT CAN WE DO?" BUT HEY AT LEAST THEY AINT 'CRAZY FOOLS'.

My sister went to a mela and she felt really uncomfortable. She only talks of the pervy guys at this mela. I think there were alot of muslim youth and trouble was being made. She does not really know about Sikhi but I dont think she was left with a good impression.

WHY YOU CALLING CRAZY??? AND WHO YOU CALLING A FOOL??????

IF YOU GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS OF YOUR OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS THEN KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. YOU ARE TAKING THE MICKY OUT OF SOMEONE BY CALLING THEM A TALEBAN BUT YET YOURSELF YOU ARE JUDGING THEM AND STEREOTYPING THEM. LOOK AT YOURSELVES IN THE MIRROR.

THE LAST MELA I WENT TO HAD ALCOHOL AND MEAT STANDS. THE COMMITTEE SAID "WHAT CAN WE DO?" BUT HEY AT LEAST THEY AINT 'CRAZY FOOLS'.

you wanna take a chill pill, as i said only joking but if you wanna have a serious debate maybe u should start by trying to understand the irony of how we are starting to sound like other fundamental groups, such as the taleban, who have no tolerance of other faiths, cultures and traditions and wish to impose their way of life on anything that moves.

Instead of trying to ban everything why cant we try make the best out of a bad situation and educate people in what they are doing wrong and why. the mele provide a great opportunity to spread our faith and educate people.

If we continue to keep ourselves to ourselves and only talk to each other and the people in our own social comfort zones, i dont think sikhi will flourish as its meant to.

Think of our Guru Nanak Dev Ji who was renowned for his travels.

I do agree that the gurudawara and the comittees have a lot more to do when organising these events and they should take responsibility for the stalls, stands and food outlets that are allowed to attend, or they should stay out of them all together and make it clear that this is not a religous event.

and if the commitee that organised the mela that you went to that had alcohol and meat stands then i say they are CRAZY FOOLS!!!!!

so cut your jibber jabber. d_oh.gif