Doctor Cole

Bundha

Here is a thought.

1708 Nanded, the stitches in Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s wound on the side of His abdomen re-opened and started to bleed. An English doctor in the employment of Bahadur Shah, Dr Cole was sent for.

Dr Cole came and redressed the wound. He tended to Guru Sahib Ji and stayed at Nanded for a number of days. Once he thought the wound was healing he took his leave. Upon his departure Guru Sahib Ji gave him a ‘dushalla’ like an embroided shawl, 500Rs and blessed him.

This Dr Cole must have been such a lucky and blessed soul to have met Guru Maharaj Ji, maybe without even knowing in whose presence he was in.

How lucky he must have been to actually touch Guru Ji !

Maybe his janam/maran were cut due to his sewa of Guru Sahib Ji without even knowing it.

Maybe he conversed with Guru Ji , it is so intriguing !

As we know the British were meticulous record keepers, and especially a Doctor who would keep medical records on his patients. Wouldn’t it be amazing if some where, some place there lays a dusty old note book with notes about Guru Maharaj Ji.

Maybe it describes Guru Ji, notes of the wound, maybe of Guru Jis darbar and Singhs, maybe even a sketch !!!

I have scoured the internet of a Dr Cole in the British Empire who may have been in the employment of Bahadur Shah around 1708 but got nothing. I think a few other people, with a lot more knowledge about these things then me, have looked though old records in libraries and museums have found nothing. But I still feel there is information out there that needs some tenacious person to find.

Come on guys, lets put our heads together, any ideas ?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh!!

I dont understand why this topic hasnt had many replies. Anyway i have done some of my own research and found this, (below) I think its a very interesting question and i for one would like to see the articles of mr cole reappear, perhaps there is someway to trace his family tree and ask relatives or summit, just a thot.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

17 08 AD - One of the most notable incidents involving archery in Sikh history relates to the death of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the 10th Guru and a co-founder of the Sikh religion. In 1708, 2 Pathan assassins attempted to kill him. One stabbed him in the chest, but the Guru responded with his sword and beheaded the attacker. The other Pathan was dealt with by the Guru's guards. The Guru's wounds were tended to by a Dr . Cole, I believe. Now, around this time, Guru Gobind Singh Ji had received a gift of a new, powerful bow. While his wounds were healing, he could not resist the temptation of trying the new bow out. Sadly, drawing the bow re-opened his chest wound and it began bleeding profusely. As a result, he died in October 1708, but by then the Sikh faith was well established.

Sikhs were known to hunt game for sport and as a means of sharpening their martial skills .

It is evident from historical records and paintings, that short recurve bows were used, probably shot using a thumb ring.

(This article was kindly supplied by Harjinder S. Obhi of London, England.)

Here is a thought.

1708 Nanded, the stitches in Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s wound on the side of His abdomen re-opened and started to bleed. An English doctor in the employment of Bahadur Shah, Dr Cole was sent for.

Dr Cole came and redressed the wound. He tended to Guru Sahib Ji and stayed at Nanded for a number of days. Once he thought the wound was healing he took his leave. Upon his departure Guru Sahib Ji gave him a ‘dushalla’ like an embroided shawl, 500Rs and blessed him.

This Dr Cole must have been such a lucky and blessed soul to have met Guru Maharaj Ji, maybe without even knowing in whose presence he was in.

How lucky he must have been to actually touch Guru Ji !

Maybe his janam/maran were cut due to his sewa of Guru Sahib Ji without even knowing it.

Maybe he conversed with Guru Ji , it is so intriguing !

As we know the British were meticulous record keepers, and especially a Doctor who would keep medical records on his patients. Wouldn’t it be amazing if some where, some place there lays a dusty old note book with notes about Guru Maharaj Ji.

Maybe it describes Guru Ji, notes of the wound, maybe of Guru Jis darbar and Singhs, maybe even a sketch !!!

I have scoured the internet of a Dr Cole in the British Empire who may have been in the employment of Bahadur Shah around 1708 but got nothing. I think a few other people, with a lot more knowledge about these things then me, have looked though old records in libraries and museums have found nothing. But I still feel there is information out there that needs some tenacious person to find.

Come on guys, lets put our heads together, any ideas ?

Guest Papi
Is there a museum in india/pakistan dedicated to keeping records relics from the moghul dynasty?

are you talking abot the one that has "ganga sagar" ?? grin.gif

Guest Papi

its a surahi that he claims his elders got from guru gobind singh sahib

apparantly it has holes n it and still holds water

n people go CRAZYYYYY to get "amrit" from it :devil:

Where exactly do we find the first reference to Dr. Cole anyway?

Perhaps a different approach to finding him in history is to look for him in UK school records. He must have studied medicine in a British University.

Then perhaps look at his family tree...contact his decendants to see if they have any of his belongings still intact.

just some thoughts.

Where exactly do we find the first reference to Dr. Cole anyway?

Perhaps a different approach to finding him in history is to look for him in UK school records. He must have studied medicine in a British University.

Then perhaps look at his family tree...contact his decendants to see if they have any of his belongings still intact.

just some thoughts.

some great ideas veera :devil:

wow that's really cool... and yeah jai tegang veerji's thought process is fantastic.... finding the first name would help SO much... but i'm not sure what would be easier.. going through old martial records? or going through old medical school records... and which would be more readily available...

i guses another dumb question is...what are the chances that records are kept from as far back as 1700 about what school a medicine student studied at... then again, the British hav ebeen known for their meticulousness as was mentioned before....so i suppose there IS achance!

It's a kinda cool jump into the past... just remember to not get so so so caught up in it that you forget about the present! but it definitely would be cool to get a bit more on Doctor Cole's experience in Punjab.