Metha Tehk To The Folllowing

We must understand the views of BHAGAT KABIR JI who said GURU IS SUPERIOR TO GOD I WILL BOW BEFORE THE GURU FIRST.

God and Guru are One. There is no difference between them. By the way Bhagat Kabir Ji was also born before Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright

so clear this 4 me bro

if guru ji says :

When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet.

and also says:

onli to bow b4 SGGS

wat is going on?

where do we draw the line?

and since guru ji said:

do u truly believe they actually started falling at every sikhs feet and bowed b4 them?

mayb this lines means sumtin else...

im jus being open minded bro

p.s she still bowed to it...she wasnt gonna listen to me...lol

There's room for figures of speech in Gurbani, but I don't think this was one of the instances where it's open for interpretation. I mean it's pretty clear, "I humbly bow and fall at his feet". And it wasn't that they fell at the feet of every sikhs feet, they fall at the feet of a true sikh of the guru. A Sikh in the truest aspect and form. Also, draw the line where you feel comfortable. I think it's silly to try and impose someone's belief on someone else, when Sikhi is about openness and acceptance of other's beliefs.

Good for her ! tongue.gif

Bhaji,

When Guru Ji says only bow to Guru Granth Sahib Ji, then what is meant here is only bow to ONE Guru, which is Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is no other Guru. We must not bow down to anyother so called guru as there is only Guru Granth Sahib Ji. But that does not mean we cannot out of satkaar, piyar, respect, adhav bow to a GurSikh - as a Guru Ka Sikh.

If a Gursikh has such an avasta that AkalPurkh has done parkash in him or have pargat in him then would you not bow to this person?

We must understand the views of BHAGAT KABIR JI who said GURU IS SUPERIOR TO GOD I WILL BOW BEFORE THE GURU FIRST. Our GURU HAS SACRIFICIED EVERYTHING FOR US GURU SHOWS THE LIGHT OF GURU GRANTH SHIAB ,IT IS HUMILITY OF OUR GURU JI WHO SAID THAT WHO WORSHIPS ME WILL GO TO HELL I HAVE RESPECT AND DEVOTION FOR GURU JI AS GURVANI IS GREATEST COTRIBUTION TO US AS GURU ALSO SAID I WILL REMAIN ALWAYS WITH MY SIKH EVEN IN HELL IN PRESENCE OF OUR GURU AND GURU YRUE LOVE IT WILL BE BETTER THAN HEAVEN. GURU HAS CONSISDERED GURSIKHS SUPERIOR EVEN TO HIM THIS CONTINUES FROM GURU NANK DEV JI TO DASAM PITA GURU GOBIND SINGH JI. BHUL CHUK MAUF

I think you've misunderstood the gurbani, at the very least I'd like you to point to the gurbani line that says Guru ji is above God, because i'm just confused at your post.

lol...come on...i wasnt imposing my personal opinion on somone else...why do i get attaked...all im doin is trying to be open and all of a sudden im doin dumtin wrong!!!

im jus stating my opinion

i cud b wrong or right who knows...im still serchin for the TRUTH

and so i want to ask is it alright for me to bow b4 the jathedar at my local gurdwara since hes really chardi kala?

Bhaji,

When Guru Ji says only bow to Guru Granth Sahib Ji, then what is meant here is only bow to ONE Guru, which is Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is no other Guru. We must not bow down to anyother so called guru as there is only Guru Granth Sahib Ji. But that does not mean we cannot out of satkaar, piyar, respect, adhav bow to a GurSikh - as a Guru Ka Sikh.

If a Gursikh has such an avasta that AkalPurkh has done parkash in him or have pargat in him then would you not bow to this person?

well im still serchin 4 the answer

ur first part it true (bolded)

i wud love, respect, honor and all thatt great stuff to a chardikala gursikh..but still dunno about bowin b4 em

u probly seen those videos of bibia tryin to bow b4 sant jarnail singh and he jus walks the other direction...even this "Guru Ka Sikh" didnt allow this.

but i dunno wat to say...mayb i need to keep searchin

im not hatin jus being open minded like i have been sayin for like 4ever! ...lol....but i can understand y ppl do bow to their shastar (i can view issues from all points of views :umm: )

alright

so clear this 4 me bro

if guru ji says :

and also says:

onli to bow b4 SGGS

wat is going on?

where do we draw the line?

and since guru ji said:

do u truly believe they actually started falling at every sikhs feet and bowed b4 them?

mayb this lines means sumtin else...

im jus being open minded bro

p.s she still bowed to it...she wasnt gonna listen to me...lol

There's room for figures of speech in Gurbani, but I don't think this was one of the instances where it's open for interpretation. I mean it's pretty clear, "I humbly bow and fall at his feet". And it wasn't that they fell at the feet of every sikhs feet, they fall at the feet of a true sikh of the guru. A Sikh in the truest aspect and form. Also, draw the line where you feel comfortable. I think it's silly to try and impose someone's belief on someone else, when Sikhi is about openness and acceptance of other's beliefs.

Bhaji,

We must understand the views of BHAGAT KABIR JI who said GURU IS SUPERIOR TO GOD I WILL BOW BEFORE THE GURU FIRST. Our GURU HAS SACRIFICIED EVERYTHING FOR US GURU SHOWS THE LIGHT OF GURU GRANTH SHIAB ,IT IS HUMILITY OF OUR GURU JI WHO SAID THAT WHO WORSHIPS ME WILL GO TO HELL I HAVE RESPECT AND DEVOTION FOR GURU JI AS GURVANI IS GREATEST COTRIBUTION TO US AS GURU ALSO SAID I WILL REMAIN ALWAYS WITH MY SIKH EVEN IN HELL IN PRESENCE OF OUR GURU AND GURU YRUE LOVE IT WILL BE BETTER THAN HEAVEN. GURU HAS CONSISDERED GURSIKHS SUPERIOR EVEN TO HIM THIS CONTINUES FROM GURU NANK DEV JI TO DASAM PITA GURU GOBIND SINGH JI. BHUL CHUK MAUF

I think you've misunderstood the gurbani, at the very least I'd like you to point to the gurbani line that says Guru ji is above God, because i'm just confused at your post.

lol...come on...i wasnt imposing my personal opinion on somone else...why do i get attaked...all im doin is trying to be open and all of a sudden im doin dumtin wrong!!!

im jus stating my opinion

i cud b wrong or right who knows...im still serchin for the TRUTH

and so i want to ask is it alright for me to bow b4 the jathedar at my local gurdwara since hes really chardi kala?

whoa bucko, not trying to attack you, nor did i say that it was you trying to impose your opinion on someone else, that was just general advice and not specifically aimed at you. And no, I wouldn't start bowing down to your gyani at the local gw because I don't think he or you would like it. The point of matha tek is that your recognizing that you are lower than your guru and you bow in humility. Now, that's a different kind of bowing then a bob of your head. I think the problem here is that everyone automatically assosciates matha tek with bowing, because that's the closest english word to matha tek that there is. When I refer to bowing, I'm talking about bending your back and lowering your head to show that you are lower than someone else, but at the same time not so much higher than you that they are at the same level as your Guru. But again, we could sit here and discuss different levels of bowing all day and it would truly be useless.

i say if someone is bowing to anything related to Guruji, they must have love and devotion to do such a thing.

better than the haumai filled lots who don't even bow to Guru Granth Sahib ji.

my friends, sharda and love are priceless things. small mistakes and shortcomings are shadowed by a persons love and devotion.

for example, a simple guy who doesn't quite understand the concept of shabad guru, he places his devotion in a picture of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Every morning he folds his hands infornt of the picture and asks Guru maharaj for his protection. My friends, that right there is love. It's much better than the guy who does nothing in the morning, no paath, nothing.

Guruji has a way of showing us, guiding us to him. Even showing love and devotion towards the painting of Guruji is an awesome step forward, and Guruji has a nature of taking thousands towards you.

there are bigger and better things to worry about than people bowing to things related to guruji. end of the day, they must have love and belief in guruji to do such a thing. this love is priceless. small shortcmings and mistakes can be fixed, but this love and sharda can't be manufactured.

so don't go out there destroying simple people's love for guruji.

i say this because this is what iw as like when i was 10 -11. slowly i starting understanding concept of shabd guru and gurbani.

other people start from this stage in later parts of their life....keep patience and compassion for them....believe me, it's the love inside that really will makes one progress.

hindus who worship idols and pics of devis and devtas also have a lot of sharda. we always tell peope that sikhi si against "blind rituals." well when it comes to blind rituals in our faith then it can't be about sharda, because sharda is present in all religions.

guru sahibs gave us the logical and practical path in life. free from bondages to idols, pictures and the like.

if a sikh can find satguru in a painting, then why can't a hindu find god in a moorti? its still sharda.

guru is the jot which dispells darkness, the darkness is the darkness of the mind, the mind is void of spiritual giaan, and this gian, gurgiaan, the jot which illuminates the mind, is illunmined by shabad guru. a picture won't give you giaan, a picture won't tackle the five vices.

i can have an affair with a woman and the picture of guru nanak can be hanging on the wall as i commit the sin. but if guru sahib is in my mind, if the shabad resides in my mind, my mind won't let me even think about having an affair. because my mind controls my actions. the mind controls the body. the mind is the essence of akaal purakh. and the true guru helps us conquer our minds.

so bow to that which cleans this mind of darkness. bow to that true guru who is true throughout the ages. that guru is shabad guru. the word is our guru. our savior.

just a few weeks ago in a youth darbar we finally learned what bowing in front of guru granth sahib ji actually means. a singh said matha tek to guru sahib means, guru ji! here take my mat(manmat), and please give me your mat, or gurmat. and when we hear the hukam and take parshaad, it means we accept the vaak, or hukam. parshaad meaning blessing.

so before we decide on what to bow to, let's get it straight as to what bowing actually means or signifies. when we bow to sri guru grnath sahib we gain everything, because the guru has gurmat to offer. when we bow to other things, what are we getting? what are we expecting?

because as gurbaani says, if you churn water, you won't get butter. if you churn milk, you get butter. so what are we churning?

Guest Akirtghan
if a sikh can find satguru in a painting, then why can't a hindu find god in a moorti? its still sharda.
because, a moorti can't give you any gian, written or spoken.

i dont expect to get gyan from say bowing down to the place where guru nanak sahib took human form, but it is my token of respect. bowing signifies utmost respect.

I think we shud not Matha tek to anything except SGGS.

I remember when I sometimes had to go to a temple with my friend in early childhood, i would not matha tek to idols or bow, i wud just fold my hands so that there's no disrespect. Folding hands is like Indian tradition of Namaste.....and thats what I wud do max.

So I think matha tek to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji only.....otherwise its sorta idol worship