• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baba amarjeet singh

that is out of order

she cant push you around like tht

you should get her charged with assault

you shouldnt have allowed yourself to be treated like that

The Criminal Justice Act (1988); Section 139 simply provides the means to be able to wear a kirpan, but the section shown, although I have not read the any supplement sections, if there are any, but it does not list and sanctions in breach of this act.

I think the most obvious claim would be under racial discrimination. One can be made for ‘direct racial discrimination’, a second can be made for ‘indirect discrimination’ and a third may also be raised under ‘harassment’.

Claims under these will provide one with a number of remedies for a claim against the Wimbledon.

The Human Rights Act 1998 can also be applied under right to follow a religion (I can‘t remember of exact title of the Article but it is in the main ones between Articles 1-15).

A letter of explaining these points should first be served. Make sure there is a time limit set on the letter to add pressure, usually 28 days will be reasonable. One may also make suggestions that other pressure groups will be notified ie Sikh groups, newspapers and other sources that will make the issue erupt.

This is indeed a very serious issue, and I believe one will have a strong claim against them Wimbledon..

Both the person searching You and the Wimbledon could be liable. Wimbledon (the company) has a implied duty to train their staff.

There is a whole number of claims that can be made, but these are just a few.

One should also make a claim through the Ombudsman, which is a non-government body that tackles disputes against big companies for individuals. It is also FREE. But they are likely to advise you first to follow this ‘letter’ process first to seek their reply/response to the situation, if it can be solved at an early stage.

It is quite a strong case to be made against them, and if you do mention in the letter, something around the lines that compensation for the loss should be made, I pretty sure you will have a good chance of claiming this, as they are quite clearly in breach of the law and would not want any exposure made in public of this. But do note, there are also a whole number of compensation claims you could also raise, ie loss to feelings, loss of reputations (subject to certain things), etc.

Hope that helps.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh!!

Sangat ji, i thought i should let you know about an issue that arose yesterday. I went to wimbledon to see the tennis. After queing up we had to go through tight securtiy before entering the grounds. The security was tighter than airport security. There was bleep machine thingy and people carrying out searches. So i went through the security thingy and it started bleeping as usual. Staff took me to one side and began searching me. The lady who was searching me felt my kirpan. She pulled away my sweatshirt to find what she thought was a dagger. She grabbed onto my arms to prevent me from moving them and pushed me to the side, still holding on to my arms keeping them away from my body. SHe was shouting oh my gosh shes got a dagger theres an incident here and she was sounding very panicked. Im sure she thought i was a terrorist, the way she manhandled me. She told everyone to move well away from me and then other staff in higher position came and dealt with the issue.

The woman was so uninformed about sikhs, i dont even think she knew i was a sikh i think she must have thought i was a muslim. and she called police that were on grounds to deal with me. The poilceman thankfully knew about the five k's and knew that iw as premitted to wear it in a public place. Yet the woman still said she didnt want me coming in and she said that i cannot carry a weapon into wimbledon etc.

I said you are simply not allowed to stop me from entering and i quoted the criminal justice act and offensive weapons act, yet they thought i was simply making this all up. I then waited on the side while the police officer called someone else and then he said-There is no problem with you entering, you can take your dagger off and then pick up it up on the way back. I said there is absolutely no way i am doing that and you have no right to make me take it off. I am going to stand here. So then the policeman called someone else and after quite a while he realised that he could not prevent me from going in.

This was a relief and i made my way to the wimbledon grounds with the woman who first searched me shouting- But i havnt finished searching her i have to look in her hat she might have something. At the time the poiliceman was rather embarassed and told me to carry on walking. I am in the process of writing a letter to wimbledon regarding the woman who manhandled me.

The reason im telling the sangat about this incident is to remind you that we do have rights and can wear our kirpan in public places- to work,etc. There are to many sikhs remvoing their kirpan simpy because they have been told to, espcially in the workplace. This is not allowed.You have to stick up for yoursleves.

The acts below clearly state that we are allowed to wear the kirpan, as it comes under the umbrella of religous symbols.

The Criminal Justice Act (1988); Section 139

Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.

139.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a) for use at work;

(b) for religious reasons; or© as part of any national costume.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or otherwise.

(8) This section shall not have effect in relation to anything done before it comes into force.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

I was also gonna go yest wiv ma mate buh cancelled at the last moment and postponed it till saturday. Did u watch the Henman match or some other one? BTW these days there is turban presence in wimbledon as well i've seen it in two matches where there were turbaned sikh spectators. Who knows tommorow we might see turban presence on courts as well.

Anyways, on to the topic, a very well done for taking a stand and dealing with the situation amicably. At least u taught that ignorant lady about sikhs and their right to wear kirpan. One thing that u particularly in ur complaint and we all generally can do is to write a letter or an email to authorities telling them to address their staff as well as their security firm which is G4S (group 4 securicor) about the law regarding the kirpan so that sikhs are not harrased in future. Their security has been tightened after a journalist in 2005 wimbledon exposed the security lapse and went into players area and other high profile areas wiv a fake id. It was made a big issue after the organisers were taken a dig at in the papers.