Bhangra

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looooooooooooooooooooolllll

and let me remind you what these songs normally talk about.. bibia.. alcohol .. clubbing..etc ... yeah you people go ahead and support!

Not reali!!

Ther's loads of songs out there which are classed "bhangra" but has nothing to do with...bibia....alcohol...clubbing etc

There's loads of songs about panjabi di dharti and their rich panjabi virsa...It may not be religious lyrics but atleast its got nuffing 2 do wiv alcohol and clubbing.. rolleyes.gif

in punjab during cultural programs bhangra, malwai giddah and giddah are done with dhol .. and their is a guy doing boliyan ( these boliyan are definitely not lustful).

i dunno if u guys have ever heard the song "rangla punjab"..thts one of the most famous songs for bhangra, here are a few lines from tht song

ve rangle punjab di sift sunavan,

ve jithe rab vargiyan mavan,

darti punj dariya di rani,

ki jis da sarbat varga paani.

lustful..eh?? :umm:

first off, i dont dance. even tho i used to, i learned for a few yrs, but i dont dance anymore.

2nd, stop twisting bani and rehitnamey, to suit your need, thats my only concern :umm:

i said dance without lyrics, not music, calm down and read before you post.

i dont in any way condone dancing, but when people twist bani n rehitnamey to suit their needs, thats not rite.

also, i do agree with pentra being namaskaar to shashter. BUT the point still is, that is dancing, whtere you like it or not.

thank god you dont dance and well done to that

and i dont know about if its dancing becus like a prakarma to shaster, so im saying no more on that.

and let me remind you what these songs normally talk about.. bibia.. alcohol .. clubbing..etc ... yeah you people go ahead and support!

Not reali!!

Ther's loads of songs out there which are classed "bhangra" but has nothing to do with...bibia....alcohol...clubbing etc

There's loads of songs about panjabi di dharti and their rich panjabi virsa...It may not be religious lyrics but atleast its got nuffing 2 do wiv alcohol and clubbing.. rolleyes.gif

im talking about the ones that do

people dont come out with any old song , im talkin about the stupid ones , that talk about bibia, clubing, alcohol and what not

ok quick question!!!

If An Amritdhari Singh does his Nitnem like always and then attends a programme such as a wedding or cultural programme where he dances and just does one or two bhangra moves, Is that wrong???

In my opinion, it ain't!! But would like to know the sangats opinion!!!!!! grin.gif

There are lots of worse things they could be doing than rhythmically moving their shoulders up and down whilst pointing at the sky. It may not be your cup of tea but it isn't anyone's position to start judging like they know God's mind. You could do bhangra to dhol alone so it doesn't necessarily involve listening to "dirty" lyrics. Besides there are many patriotic and good positive cultural vibes that are passed through.

I think we should develop bhangra and make it more political and culturally conscious. Talk about things we need to discuss..the usual crap...caste, female infanticide, dowry etc. etc.

If goreh see these 'singhs' dancing who have a dhari and dastaar, what do they think? sikhs do dance, they do drink alcohol, they do eat meat etc.. so then they think that off every sikh they see

Maybe some of them will figure out that we are not extremists and different from sulay in this way? Most of the Irish people I know who have been to a Sikh wedding have nothing but praise and positive comments about them from this.

well 1stly SARDAR DHOL IS 100% WRONG, IF UR PROUD OF YA PANJABI CULTURE BLAD! DEN BANG IT OUT! BE PROUD

HOW IS SIKHI AND PANJABI CULTURE HAND IN HAND, I MEAN COME ON!! MEHNDI THATS PANJABI FLEX, IN SIKHI THATS WRONG, BHANGRA DATS NOT EVEN SIKHI, THATS PANJABI!!!

SIKHISM DNT PROMOTE DANCING, CAN U REMEMBER GOD WHEN UR DANCING? ITS VERY HARD ESPECIALLY WHEN U GOT BLEEDING ALCHOL AND DAT DER INIT, U PANJABI MAN U!

U HANDSWORTH BOYZ NEED 2 CALM DOWN, YEH U SARDAR DHOLI! AIIIIII!lOOOOL

thats pure narrow mindedness right there. 1stly Yes i am proud of being a son of punjab, just as much as i am proud of being a singh. and yes punjabi culture and sikhi go hand in hand. if there was no punjab there would be no sikhi. besides, Sikhi is my religion and part of my culture, just as punjabi shaat is part of my culture just. and no one said that bhangra is art of sikhi . cause it isn't its punjabi culture ... i think most people know that mate.

Just cause sikhi doesnt state somthing...doesnt mean its wrong. Sikhi doesnt say anything is wrong with mendhi, so why you ripping on it. sikhi doesnt say theres anything wrong with rakhrian but yet people say its wrong...with no proof or backing why, only reason they can come up with is beacause its punjabi tradition.whats wrong with that, our roots lie in punjab don't they?

And yes you hit the nail on the head you said sikhi doesn't "promote" dancing, doesnt say you cant dance. and i have seen people pull up certain bani's that say somthing about dancing, but i asked my babaji for a translation and he says it says nothing about NOT dancing.

And im gona tell you how it is, i do like to drink, yes in that sense i am weak. but i dont live on alcohol. But alcohol doesnt make u a bad person, i hold my morels close and uphold them.

And im confused about this whole "Handzworth Boyz Need to calm down", calm down about what? what has handsworth got to do with this conversation?

Not reali!!

So true...i agree. i think that people "Think" they know about bhangra, but actually dont. Bhangra isn't purely about alcohol, women etc. bhangra is joyous music to uplift you. i feel that not everything has to be religeous.

i think people need to find a balence between punjabi cultjure and sikhi...and not twist the bani 2 suit them...i think it can be interpreted in many ways but only god knows the tru way.

Guest Akirtghan
And im gona tell you how it is, i do like to drink, yes in that sense i am weak. but i dont live on alcohol. But alcohol doesnt make u a bad person, i hold my morels close and uphold them.
thats all nice n good mate but how you say you a singh then grin.gif