Bhangra

*sings*

ith rang nacho rakh rakh per :music:

naanak aakhan vera ver, naanak aahan vera ver!

Thinking back to old times when Singhs/Singhnis actively fought for Guru Saheb, I can't imagine any of them having the urge to dance around. It would be an interesting image to say the least. Stupid/embarassing to say the most. Whoever posted above about his amritdhari father trying to dance proved this point by implying it was a funny image/something to laugh at. Try watching a video of people dancing and mute the sound.

I can think of many things which are better than a Singh going to a party and dancing. There are other ways to promote Sikhi, if that's what you want to do. How about spending some time learning about Sikhi. Jap some naam, don't hop about. If you want to hop about in order to get fit, go hop about at the gym. And listen to some kirtan whilst you're at it.

I don't know much about true punjabi culture as nowadays it seems to be about killing baby girls and drinking. But I think Sikhi is quite capable of standing alone without going hand in hand with any particular culture.

Just my views.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bass Singh

well 1stly SARDAR DHOL IS 100% WRONG, IF UR PROUD OF YA PANJABI CULTURE BLAD! DEN BANG IT OUT! BE PROUD

HOW IS SIKHI AND PANJABI CULTURE HAND IN HAND, I MEAN COME ON!! MEHNDI THATS PANJABI FLEX, IN SIKHI THATS WRONG, BHANGRA DATS NOT EVEN SIKHI, THATS PANJABI!!!

SIKHISM DNT PROMOTE DANCING, CAN U REMEMBER GOD WHEN UR DANCING? ITS VERY HARD ESPECIALLY WHEN U GOT BLEEDING ALCHOL AND DAT DER INIT, U PANJABI MAN U!

U HANDSWORTH BOYZ NEED 2 CALM DOWN, YEH U SARDAR DHOLI! AIIIIII!lOOOOL

Ok, playing devils advocate here (don't take that literally!).

Panjabi culture has many negative aspects for sure (caste, too much love for sons, drinking excessively, predisposition for violent solutions to problems etc.) BUT music is not necessarily evil. People can use it positively. Lots of bhangra singers have produced very inspiring tracks for Panjabis and Sikhs (Sheran di korm, a lot of Kuldeep Manak's tunes - despite him being a sufi Muslim). So it can serve a positive purpose other than promoting drinking and stuff. Music is an invaluable communication medium that can be used positively and negatively. Like a kirpan, he who holds it makes the difference. Some can oppress with a sword, some can liberate. Do we really want to get puritanical in Sikh society? If we have a dance at a wedding, are we being bad?

Guest Akirtghan

do wat u like man :umm:

if someone wants to do bhangra, good for them. if someone doesn't, good for them :TH: the point is DONT FORCE YOUR VIEWS ON OTHERS, cause when it really comes down it wont make a difference

PS. i'm hungry

vaheguru jee ka khalsa vaheguru jee kee fateh !

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

sabadh marai bhagath paaeae jan soe ||3||

But one who dies in the Word of the Shabad, obtains devotional worship. ||3||

vaheguru's hukam is right there, now its up to u what to follow but vaheguru points it out straight. No point sayin whats wrong or right, just go ask guru jee, you will find your answer.

we cant force anything on anyone, its for the person to decide and if u call yourself a sikh who would you follow as a sikh, vaheguru jees hukam or your own pleasures? now you decide... sikhs can only preach but its gurujee kirpa and on the person to decide where you go... in the search for gurujees or in the world of pleasures!

bhul chuk marf! wasnt tryin to offend anyone or judging anyone... :umm:

vaheguru jee ka khalsa vaheguru jee kee fateh

i am not trying to twist bani bhajee. :umm:

im only a moorakh... you make your own mind up i am not pushing my opinions on anyone. reading the shabad i saw you dont need to dance to find guru jee, if u interept it in a different way then okay. i am no high person im learning...

Guest Narinder Singh

What a stupid debate, whats next, how long the nalaa on a kurta-pajama should be for sikhs?

I think there are bigger issues out there than whether sikhs should be dancing or not.

Fateh.