Amrit And Why Not?

JustME

What is stopping us from taking Amrit?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. for those who ahve not taken Amrit yet.....

• Building up Rehit so the transition will be easier
    • Worried about wot others may think
    • Dont feel ready yet
    • The appearance factor-----i.e. not cutting hair, shaving etc etc
    • Other please specify

guys no bashing, no arguments, just putforward your fears, doubts or simply justifications of why you feel u cant or are having a tuff time deciding whether to take amrit?

i think this would be a good way of bringing forward our concerns, doubts and general question about taking amrit and a sikhi way of life without opening up a new thread each time for each question regarding this subject

and those who have taken amirt can possibly relate and give advice and personal experiences and how they overcame them

enjoy................

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, building up rehit and still don't feel ready.

For example, I can do Japji Sahib paat in five mins (timed myself) but even now, just can't bring myself to do it. There are times when I will do paat/sing a shabad (in my mind) and there are times when I'm not even thinking about God. Unfortunately, I think I'm drifting more and more away rather than closer.

I need Gursikhs to hang around with - when I was at college I a Singh as a mate and he taught me loads about Sikhi. At the same time, I started doing more and more paath - to the point where I was doing something like 5 Japji Sahibs and 3 full malas of mool manter paat a day, along with singing 2-3 shabads and full anand sahib paat.

When I came to uni, this dropped to maybe 1-2 Japji Sahib paats per day and now, six years later, I do less.

I find it difficult to find time to do things I'm supposed to do everyday, let alone do paat. Once I can correct this, paat gives me strength to do more, but it's always taking that first step that's the hardest.

<<<< I can do Japji Sahib paat in five mins (timed myself) >>>>

Wow Yaar, koi janatay jana ???? Take your time and savour it, contemplate on it.

What one needs to do is set your life around your paath/simran. If you try to fit the paath simran around your life then always it will get moved and pushed out of the way.

Set times for your paath and try not to waiver from them. If the phone rings - let it ring, if guests come and are sitting and waiting - let them wait ....................... but do not let your Guru wait.

Hope this is helpful

For me, building up rehit and still don't feel ready.

For example, I can do Japji Sahib paat in five mins (timed myself) but even now, just can't bring myself to do it. There are times when I will do paat/sing a shabad (in my mind) and there are times when I'm not even thinking about God. Unfortunately, I think I'm drifting more and more away rather than closer.

I need Gursikhs to hang around with - when I was at college I a Singh as a mate and he taught me loads about Sikhi. At the same time, I started doing more and more paath - to the point where I was doing something like 5 Japji Sahibs and 3 full malas of mool manter paat a day, along with singing 2-3 shabads and full anand sahib paat.

When I came to uni, this dropped to maybe 1-2 Japji Sahib paats per day and now, six years later, I do less.

I find it difficult to find time to do things I'm supposed to do everyday, let alone do paat. Once I can correct this, paat gives me strength to do more, but it's always taking that first step that's the hardest.

In my view you might be getting too bogged down into the quantity. We are all on the same spiritual journey and will struggle from time to time. However, taking Amrit is a hukam (order) from Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj and I was told by my elder Gursikhs that if one wishes to build a relationship with Maharaj than the initiation of Amrit is essential.

im slowly building up rehit and tryin to become disciplined until i do that i dont think i will feel ready..............other problems stated above dont affect me............i think everyone has pyar for our guru maharaj its just maybe I/we/they dont feel ready or think I/we/they will slip up once I/we/they take amrit................because amrit is for this life and the afterlife.

the more a person gets into sikhi , you realise a lot of things i.e. so much to do , and the importacne of amrit... guru ji sets us tests!!! and with guru jis kirpa hopefully we pass them , .... that shouldt push us away , but encourage us! ... were saying to maharaj MOHI NAH BISAROHHH MEH JAN TERAA - o lord please dont forget me i am your slave , we want to be with maharaj .... stay with him forever , for him to hold us in his embrace:) dhan waheguru ji :wub: !

sangat yeahhh .. once youve got it dont let it go :wub: .... waheguru jio kirpa karohhh!